Neymar Jr. - v5

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
I think that with the Ney money, they'll be comfortable bidding at outrageous prices. Liverpool I feel are less keen to sell, under any circumstances. Plus Coutinho already personally committed himself to Liverpool over us this summer and now he loses a big reason to come to us because Ney is leaving. Juve I think would just try to take advantage of Barca as much as they can, and are more likely to cash in if it drew out long enough and Dybala pushed hard enough (which he probably would, absolutely loves Barca). I can see Barca not being afraid to bid in regions around 100-140M for Dybala, since they have more resources now and will expect bigger demands from clubs.

I agree that it's hard to imagine us signing ANY big players at this point. Though Barca will surely not go without getting someone to replace Neymar, even I don't think they'll actually just drop and say "well we've got Deulofeu so we're good." Of all the options out there (including Mbappe, Hazard, Alexis, etc.) I think Dybala is the most likely based on our past interest and the eventual ability to convince the other club to sign. Chelsea/BVB/Liverpool would most likely reject tf out of us. Juve will obviously not want to sell but they seem more willing to accept a financial gain and not force players to stay (as seen with Vidal, Pogba, etc.) and they're likely to get a crazy offer from us. Dybala is very difficult to get, but I think it's one of the more plausible options (not that I want him, to specify).

You said we won't reinvest the 220M, I said we will. Foolishly, wisely isn't what I have talked.
This is the board I was answering in my post

I will say it again, there is a difference between the board trying to improve the team, and the board defending themselves. They had to defend themselves one time before in 2014 and they have spent a lot and many of them were wise, a superstar was purchased.
If Neymar goes to PSG, this is the biggest crisis for the current board in front of the socios and it isn't even close, they are already under fire with RM success, now losing 2nd biggest star in the team?
And let's not talk evidence when half of your post about rumors. Both of us are talking opinions here.

I didn't say we wouldn't reinvest the money. I said we wouldn't reinvest all of the 220m and then some, that'd require the signing of an entirely new hypothetical target that didn't exist prior to this. Will they decide that they need a major upgrade in a totally different area of the squad because Neymar is gone? Doesn't sound likely to me. I think it'll be the same plan they had prior to 2 days ago + Dybala to replace Ney and switch in Coutinho in place of Verratti since PSG fucked us and Raiola is a new roadblock.

Also, rumors can be evidence. I think it's absurd to suggest now that the Paulinho rumors have all been fake, as the confirmation of their reality has been painfully repetitive these past weeks. The Coutinho links were confirmed to be real interest earlier this summer via Robert himself too. I think it was a genuine option for them and that's what I alluded to. Also, we've historically been linked with Dybala multiple times. Robert said to the press that Dybala is "magnificent" but that we already have the 3 best forwards in the world. Well, damn. I guess now we only have 2, and suddenly Dybala can enter the picture. The rumors about both of them in the past day is probably more than 'just opinion' and there's evidence to suggest that the recurring interest in them is real. It's better than saying 'well we'll surely make all these multiple grand transfers now because Zubi signed Suarez 3 years ago".

GetIn

All the reliable sources like rac1 and Paris United saying it's done and now Cadena Ser publishes a report saying he's staying and the Neymar fanboys decide to believe that. I'd still tell him to leave even if he''s had a change of heart, he's dragged our club through so much shit the past week or so it's just not worth it anymore. The guy barely scored 20 goals for us this year and has been in steady decline since 2015.

George_Costanza

Many players flirted with Barcelona this summer, Dembele, Seri, and Eriksen to name few. BVB is not PSG and will not force a player to stay if he doesn't want to. Dembele doesn't owe BVB anything to stay loyal if his heart set on Barcelona, and BVB is a selling club that will gain a lot.

Birdy

I don't want to discuss replacements yet until Neymar officially leaves, but a tiny comment will be:
Coutinho is less likely to leave this summer than Verratti. Both clubs do not want to sell, but the difference is that Coutinho is happy and the star of Liverpool. Verratti thinks that PSG chapter is closed for him and wants to move on..
Dybala should NOT be pursued by the board, since a)he is a highly overestimated player and that was evident during the CL final as well, b) does not have even remotely related football characteristics to the ones we are about to loose (should Neymar's flight materialize)
Out of all the names dropped, Dembele is by far the most potential and BVB will probably play less hard if they get the money they want

xXKonan

He's pretty much gone at this point. even if he somehow comes out and says he was staying it wouldn't exactly go down well with a lot of us in general. Sure a lot of fans will probably forgive him but to a lot of us however it's pretty damaging what has happened in the past week or so.

I like Neymar a lot but what happened this past week just really damaged my standing with him. we are in late July, getting ready to start the tour for Preseason games with a new manager and all of a sudden all this stuff happens and it left us in a pretty bad position in trying to find a replacement and screwing over Valverde and the team as well.

mssarm

If Neymar goes it would be very interesting to see how UEFA is going to react. It is a straight bitchslap from PSG. Are they going to swallow it? There's already lots of rumors about FIFA corruption on WC in Qatar, are they going to let PSG hijack players and do nothing about it? This is not just our problem, they can do that to any club. How they going to prevent City from doing the same. I said once and I will say it again: corruption killed the boxing and it's popularity , it's going to kill football as well. It getting sucking lot of money and power while corruption shaking the base.

Arkk

y'know i wish I could believe our board wouldn't drop the 'we have Deulofeu and Vidal who can cover the position' but i wouldn't put anything past them, they left us without a RB failing to replace Alves so whos to say this won't be the case once again. im so tired of complaining about the board, if Neymar does leave hopefully thats the nail in the coffin for Barto and his goons.

ryuken

Nothing this board do can surprise me anymore, they are capable of paying money for no name douglas to enjoy vacations for 5 years, help Arsenal get rid of Verm and now got stuck with him, go all out on reject paulinho. All miracle deals. Not to mention millions for Arda, Paco, Gomes

CuleLife4Life

He's pretty much gone at this point. even if he somehow comes out and says he was staying it wouldn't exactly go down well with a lot of us in general. Sure a lot of fans will probably forgive him but to a lot of us however it's pretty damaging what has happened in the past week or so.

I like Neymar a lot but what happened this past week just really damaged my standing with him. we are in late July, getting ready to start the tour for Preseason games with a new manager and all of a sudden all this stuff happens and it left us in a pretty bad position in trying to find a replacement and screwing over Valverde and the team as well.

None of this surprises me besides the timing. Neymar, his dad, Wagner, and anyone else involved in the Neymar brand has made a living off of screwing over a) Santos and now b) Barca. When I'm in Brazil, Neymarmania is on another level. You see his commercials, editorials, billboard whatever at any given moment. He enjoys and craves the spotlight and attention. I knew he'd eventually leave us but I never thought he'd spring it the way he has this summer. Even if he stays, next year or even the year after( not likely) he will eventually make his move to a big oil club or even China as long as he and his greedy father get paid.

No way in hell we replace Neymar in the next 6 weeks. Our best bet is to hold on to some of the money and go all out for Dybala, Coutinho, Dembele, or whatever superstar available next summer after courting them all season. Knowing our dumbass board though, we'll waste it on some scrubs and the rest will mysteriously disappear.

Robbie

222 million euros is a disgusting amount of money. If PSG want to give you that much for Neymar, it's not all bad if the club then immediately bids for Mbappe. Make the best of a bad situation, right?

Robbie

222M euros is NOT that much for Neymar. PSG got lucky.

Mbape is priced at 170M euros.

Then bid the 170m and still have 52m left over to go towards getting another player. Mbappe is 18 years old, and would get to learn from Suarez and Messi. Could end up being the next Henry, or even better, and you would have him for a decade before he is even in his prime years.

Home of Barca Fans