10 - Lionel Messi - v5

Flavius

Messi should thank the board for the last 2 years. They just shitted on him. Let.s be serious, no team trophies, no individuals chances. The only year there was exeption was 2013 i think (also a fraud / Rybery)

M

MessiCam

I don’t get why everybody is being blamed for Messi not winning Ballon D’Or recently. We all know it’s become a Champions League award unless you score an ungodly amount of goals...

In that sense Madrid have been far, far luckier than us recently. In 2015/16 they got a very favourable knockout stage draw and 2016/17 they got really lucky in the Quarters with some dubious referee decisions.

It is what it is though.

henias

The whining about Messi playing with a worse team is getting ridiculous now. Since Ronaldo joined RM, we've won 5 league titles to their 2. The only season they have been superior imo is last season and they still only won the league on the final day of the season and couldn't win either clasico.

If league titles were that important, Messi wouldn't have lost to Ronaldo so mamy times now. Clearly, CL has been the sole factor, it doesnt matter if u are frm EPL or La Liga, or u have been performing consistently. They only consider UCL title and its highest scorer. It isnt whining when it's the truth, regardless how tired u are of hearing it.

Barcelona clearly had players who are out of form, lack of proper signings due to complacency and reliance on the front 3, hit by fatugue, lack of rotations, Neymar's tendency to drop deep with Messi, midfield and defence/ tactical issues, opponents found out how to deal with Barcelona. There are many factors that contribute to their downfall in the past seasons. It's not simply about having so and so in your team, winning a tournament isnt as simple as u think. For that Messi is definitely in a less favourable situation as compared to Ronaldo.

Last edited:

RMU ReBorn

This, the ballon is not an award that rewards the best player of the world it rewards the biggest star of the team that won the most prestigious trophy (the CL in most years) unless you do something really spectacular like score 91 goals in a calender year.
or beat mighty sweden to qualify for Wc 👌 . Fact that Messi lead a trash Argentina to wc with Motm performance in the decider wasn't even considered show how important a Pr team plays

Barca83

Banned
If league titles were that important, Messi wouldn't have lost to Ronaldo so mamy times now. Clearly, CL has been the sole factor, it doesnt matter if u are frm EPL or La Liga, or u have been performing consistently. They only consider UCL title and its highest scorer. It isnt whining when it's the truth, regardless how tired u are of hearing it.

Barcelona clearly had players who are out of form, lack of proper signings due to complacency and reliance on the front 3, hit by fatugue, lack of rotations, Neymar's tendency to drop deep with Messi, midfield and defence/ tactical issues, opponents found out how to deal with Barcelona. There are many factors that contribute to their downfall in the past seasons. It's not simply about having so and so in your team, winning a tournament isnt as simple as u think. For that Messi is definitely in a less favourable situation as compared to Ronaldo.

It's not the truth though. Messi won it in 2010 and 2012 without CL. Ronaldo won it in 2013 over Ribery without CL and won it in 2016 mostly due to Euros win. This is literally the first year that the CL is the deciding factor.

The team's only "downfall" was last season and we were still extremely close to Madrid who also benefited from a lot of luck and late winners. The previous year (15-16) I thought we were better than the treble season apart from that 3 week period in April that cost us everything. Overall, I don't think you can really make a case for Ronaldo having better teammates over his career than Messi.

RMU ReBorn

The whining about Messi playing with a worse team is getting ridiculous now. Since Ronaldo joined RM, we've won 5 league titles to their 2. The only season they have been superior imo is last season and they still only won the league on the final day of the season and couldn't win either clasico.
Yes iniesta on current form is better than Modric . Gomes will Beat Kroos in accuracy and precision . Alba shits all over Marcelo's dubious creativity , and Carvajhal is a juvenile infront of Roberto's defensive skills...my foot

Only Messi , Busquets , Ter stegan and Umtiti can be part of a world 11 on current form and in the last season Moneymar was a huge flop in la liga . Don't let the Psg game hide the fact that Moneymarwas missing sitters after sitters that includes a point blank chance in camp Nou against Madrid ,that would have won us the league. most of Madrid players can easily be part of world 11 except Benzema and Navas ..

M

MessiCam

The Ballon D'Or is way too important to some people it appears. In the grand scheme of things it means absolutely nothing... There are many players far better than Ronaldo that have won it less.

Those that matter (who've watched the game), not wikipedia readers, know this Messi vs Ronaldo thing is not even a competition. Messi is levels above.

Barca83

Banned
Yes iniesta on current form is better than Modric . Gomes will Beat Kroos in accuracy and precision . Alba shits all over Marcelo's dubious creativity , and Carvajhal is a juvenile infront of Roberto's defensive skills...my foot

Only Messi , Busquets , Ter stegan and Umtiti can be part of a world 11 on current form and in the last season Moneymar was a huge flop in la liga . Don't let the Psg game hide the fact that Moneymarwas missing sitters after sitters that includes a point blank chance in camp Nou against Madrid ,that would have won us the league. most of Madrid players can easily be part of world 11 except Benzema and Navas ..

yet the league title went to the final day of the season and we got 4 points from the clasicos, we're now 8 points ahead this season and finished top of our group.

Messi had far better players alongside him from 09-12, so should those not count either?

henias

yet the league title went to the final day of the season and we got 4 points from the clasicos, we're now 8 points ahead this season and finished top of our group.

Messi had far better players alongside him from 09-12, so should those not count either?

Without Messi, we wouldnt even be 8 points ahead.

Fact is Messi has always been consistently carrying Barcelona in La Liga, while in the European big tournament stages where more team effort and support is required, Messi was unable to excel in for ongoing seasons now bcos he lacks what Ronaldo has nowadays.

If u think this Barcelona side can easily breeze their way through UCL this year even with Messi in top form, think again. He might lose out on yet another CL and a potential Ballon d Or.

The "far better" players you've mentioned were only Xavi and Iniesta, the rest look good bcos of Barcelona's way of playing and the chemistry they built throughout the era. Other than that, Barcelona still has its major weakness in many ways where opponents can easily exploit. They are not all that "invincible". They may or may not have some favourable calls along the way, but Messi's individual talent from 09-12 was undeniable. When it comes to individual world class talents, Madrid certainly doesnt lack them even frm 09-12.

Last edited:

raskolnikov

It's not the truth though. Messi won it in 2010 and 2012 without CL. Ronaldo won it in 2013 over Ribery without CL and won it in 2016 mostly due to Euros win. This is literally the first year that the CL is the deciding factor.

The team's only "downfall" was last season and we were still extremely close to Madrid who also benefited from a lot of luck and late winners. The previous year (15-16) I thought we were better than the treble season apart from that 3 week period in April that cost us everything. Overall, I don't think you can really make a case for Ronaldo having better teammates over his career than Messi.
I think it goes to the most popular player that wins the biggest trophy. But the player needs to be popular and hyped by media. Thats why a Ribery or Sneijder didnt win. If for example Real win cl again it goesto Ronaldo again its that simple. If Bayern win it goes to lewa (unless he is completely invisible). If France win the wc it goes to Pogba, same with psg/Brazil for Neymar.

But if for example Germany or Spain win the wc it wont be 100% that one of their players win. Unless they start a campaign for you like canavarro or what they tried with buffon last year.
Even if for example Real win cl and Spain win the wc it wont go to Isco/Ramos but to Ronaldo again due to his popularity.

At this point its known as the messi vs ronaldo award. So they will be compared first and it goes to either of then depending on the year unless a popular player wins something more prestige.

2013 was a total fraud year where Ronaldo got it out of pity. 2010 Messi would not have won it in the current (old) system. 2012 they got a campaign going based on his 91 goals.
All the other years cl already sealed it for Ronaldo.

Last edited:

Morten

I really dont get this "2013 was so undeserved"-thing.
You say that Messi was better individually this year than Ronaldo, and i dont disagree, but by the same standard, Ronaldo clearly had the best individual year in 2013(Messi being injuried).
Ribery had a great season and plenty of team sucess, but he didnt actually have a better year individually. Ronaldo had his best calendar year ever in 2013, scoring 69 goals.

If you go by individual > team sucess standard, 2013 was his most deserving.

raskolnikov

I really dont get this "2013 was so undeserved"-thing.
You say that Messi was better individually this year than Ronaldo, and i dont disagree, but by the same standard, Ronaldo clearly had the best individual year in 2013(Messi being injuried).
Ribery had a great season and plenty of team sucess, but he didnt actually have a better year individually. Ronaldo had his best calendar year ever in 2013, scoring 69 goals.

If you go by individual > team sucess standard, 2013 was his most deserving.
Typed out a bbz type response but the site logged me out so im very pissed about it now.
I will sum it up quickly 2013= Ronaldo highs odds in summer, Blatter joke, campaign by Madrid media with everyone crying about it, extended voting to help him win by fifa, a feeling of pity to being second to Messi for years being the concensus = most disgracefull award.
Dont let the revisiosm that he is equal to Messi and better in recent years pull the wool over your eyes.

Morten

Typed out a bbz type response but the site logged me out so im very pissed about it now.
I will sum it up quickly 2013= Ronaldo highs odds in summer, Blatter joke, campaign by Madrid media with everyone crying about it, extended voting to help him win by fifa, a feeling of pity to being second to Messi for years being the concensus = most disgracefull award.
Dont let the revisiosm that he is equal to Messi and better in recent years pull the wool over your eyes.

Its almost like you didnt read what i just wrote, oh well.

Home of Barca Fans