10 - Lionel Messi - v5

T

TS88

Nop . Not for the club . Messi has lost only two finals in his club career

Ronaldo has lost three in my memory

2013 CDR final
2009 Cl final
2007 Fa Cup final

I was talking about altogether club and country. Messi has lost more altogether and of course Ronaldo has won a trophy with his country, something Messi still has yet to accomplish.

soul24rage

Ronaldo did score in that game, don't forget that. Ronaldo's record in finals speaks for itself. When was the last time he lost a final?

Yes he did score in that game, but if Man Utd lost that game because of Ronaldo's miss (Manutd were very lucky Terry slipped), he would be the villain just like Messi was when he missed in the 2016 Copa final. No matter how great you are, you still need a great supporting cast to do their job with the rest of the Man utd players scoring their penalties while Argentina's teammate failing; The GOAT debate would totally be over if events happened the other way around. That is why I think Messi would still have produced the goods as Ronaldo did if Messi were in that Man Utd team because Man Utd were not such a one man team.

RMU ReBorn

I was talking about altogether club and country. Messi has lost more altogether and of course Ronaldo has won a trophy with his country, something Messi still has yet to accomplish.
Because Argentina reaches the final often riding on Messi's shoulder and Portugal gets knocked out in group stage and pre quarters . When they actually won a trophy that cancer was not playing the final . Simple

Vilarrubi

Yes, quite a while ago. Messi has lost more finals than Ronaldo I think.

Hardly any difference...

Messi has lost 10 of 31 Finals (32%)

Ronaldo has lost 7 of 25 Finals (28%)

So Messi has reached 6 more despite being 3 years younger.. and his goal record in Finals is better too.

Messi 27 goals in 31 Finals

Ronaldo 18 goals in 25 Finals

Seems everyone’s on Messi’s case at the moment without looking into the stats.

Up to date stats below:

https://michelacosta.com/en/messi-vs-cristiano-ronaldo-finals/

T

TS88

Because Argentina reaches the final often riding on Messi's shoulder and Portugal gets knocked out in group stage and pre quarters . When they actually won a trophy that cancer was not playing the final . Simple

What do you mean? Ronaldo started the final against France, it wasnt his fault that he got injured. Did you see Ronaldo performance against Hungary? He saved Portugal from going out.

soul24rage

Whether or not Ronaldo would have influenced for better or worse in that Euro 2016 final is anyone's guess, but what is a fact is that Ronaldo's teammates have stepped up and did their job while Messi's teammates (I'm looking at you Higuain) didn't. Team wins trophies, not individuals.

RMU ReBorn

What do you mean? Ronaldo started the final against France, it wasnt his fault that he got injured. Did you see Ronaldo performance against Hungary? He saved Portugal from going out.
Messi has been doing that ever since he as been captain for Argentina . Fact is Ronaldo hasn't won any finals for Portugal . So arguing on international trophys is absurd,its not as if penaldo pulled of a Maradonisque performance in that Euro . There were 3-4 Portuguese players who played better than tap merchant

Giginho75

Leo has been much unlucky with Albiceleste.
Two final lost to penalties, extra-time WC final against Germany.

Often the football is made of circumstances, casuality, little details.

Anyway I think Leo must play only Copa final and Clasico.
He can avoid to play the rest of matches with Barca and can take care of himself before Russia 2018.

I think WC 2018 is too important for him and he deserves relax to recovery the best shape.

T

TS88

Whether or not Ronaldo would have influenced for better or worse in that Euro 2016 final is anyone's guess, but what is a fact is that Ronaldo's teammates have stepped up and did their job while Messi's teammates (I'm looking at you Higuain) didn't. Team wins trophies, not individuals.

Yes, its a fact that if Higuain would have finished those chances in the WC final and both Copa's then Argentina would probably have won those games. I felt so sorry for Messi when they lost the WC final because it was there for the taking and they screwed it up big time.

Right now I think Ronaldo is better but overall I have still yet to decide. From 2008-2013, Messi was untouchable but he dropped a few levels and that allowed Ronaldo in. 2015 Messi recovered his level again but lost it again.

Last edited:

soul24rage

Yes, its a fact that if Higuain would have finished those chances in the WC final and both Copa's then Argentina would probably have won those games. I felt so sorry for Messi when they lost the WC final because it was there for the taking and they screwed it up.

Right now I think Ronaldo is better but overall I have still yet to decide. From 2008-2013, Messi was untouchable but he dropped a few levels and that allowed Ronaldo in. 2015 Messi recovered his level again but lost it again.

It's fine if you think Ronaldo is better right now as I do think that Ronaldo is one of the greats, but I feel that Messi has been really unlucky while Ronaldo was. I mean can anyone of us think that any of Higuain's misses were harder than Eder's goal? I really do hope that both Messi AND more importantly his teammates step up in this world cup and the following seasons with Barca.

Givenchy

It's fine if you think Ronaldo is better right now as I do think that Ronaldo is one of the greats, but I feel that Messi has been really unlucky while Ronaldo was. I mean can anyone of us think that any of Higuain's misses were harder than Eder's goal? I really do hope that both Messi AND his teammates step up in this world cup and the following seasons with Barca.

Ronaldo being lucky doesn't even come close. I've put £50 on Portugal winning the world cup

T

TS88

It's fine if you think Ronaldo is better right now as I do think that Ronaldo is one of the greats, but I feel that Messi has been really unlucky while Ronaldo was. I mean can anyone of us think that any of Higuain's misses were harder than Eder's goal? I really do hope that both Messi AND his teammates step up in this world cup and the following seasons with Barca.

Well if Messi wins the WC then the debate is over for me. He would be the best ever hands down. I am waiting until they both end their respective careers to make a decision though.

Home of Barca Fans