10 - Lionel Messi - v5

FCBfan22

Don't think it had that well placement tbh.

IMO he just overthinks when he shoots penalties and constantly change his approach. He need to just pick one approach with one run up, pick a corner and smash it.

Possibly let someone like Coutinho who comes in take some penalties from time to time too. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he's missed almost 33% of his penalties in his career now which is a pretty bad number.

I also think he shoots majority of his pens to his right side of the goal. Maybe he could do with a bit more variety.

Mitchell1978

IMO he just overthinks when he shoots penalties and constantly change his approach. He need to just pick one approach with one run up, pick a corner and smash it.

Possibly let someone like Coutinho who comes in take some penalties from time to time too. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he's missed almost 33% of his penalties in his career now which is a pretty bad number.

You're wrong, he has taken 100 penalties exactly and has scored 77 directly and has 22 misses (1 was the assistpenalty), so a 77 % convertion rate.
On average 75 % of penalties are converted so his number isn't great but certainly not dramatic.
The last penalty imo was wellplaced but just too predicatable to the left and with a tall goalkeeper thats a risk.

Givenchy

Yeh, and since then he's allowed a certain preening Portuguese twat to catch him in Ballon d'Or awards.

Messi when he gives a fuck tears one of the best Real Madrid sides apart in their history.

Messi when he doesn't give a fuck becomes a passenger for most the game.

He's so good a player he's capable of being shit most the game then creating something out of nothing, only takes a second, but it's not good enough.

If it were anyone else they'd be absolutely slaughtered. Messi gets a free pass because it's Messi. Completely unfair on everyone else.

thats his style though, drifts around walking and then springs into life destroying defences with a single pass or a typical solo run, i'd like to see more fire in him though for sure, especially when were trailing

Kerrybai

Not sure Coutihno would be great, only taken 3 in his career albeit he scored all 3.

Messi 77%
Suarez 76%
Rakitic 72%

Iniesta 3/4
Alcacer 3/4

Outside Messi Suarez Rakitic the rest have taken little to no penalties.

raskolnikov

Messi is an average penalty taker for how great he is at everything ekse. Unless he improves we will have to accept him scoring most but also missing a few each season. Which means every important penalty I will end up closing my eyes.

sickstar

Messi is an average penalty taker for how great he is at everything ekse. Unless he improves we will have to accept him scoring most but also missing a few each season. Which means every important penalty I will end up closing my eyes.

Which is scary considering the number of goals he scores, without those missed penalties..

raskolnikov

Which is scary considering the number of goals he scores, without those missed penalties..
Messi on average scores around 50 goals a year with 8/10 coming from penalties I think. If he was a quality penalty taker he would have 12/15 goals more over his whole career by now. On a season basis the difference is neglectable in that regard. Just gives us huge stress when he steps up in a classico/cl semi compared to lets say Ronaldo/Balotelli.

Messi actually been quit solid in his important penalty conversion. Almost always scores them. Only important ones he missed are Chelsea, Copa america shoot out and sevilla in la liga in 11/12 in the 94th minute. But overall he stepped up when it mattered.

M

MessiCam

Messi's penalty conversion rate in comparison with Ronaldo is not bad at all. 77% vs 82%... Had he scored 5 more out of that 100 we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Lewandowski on the other hand converts 92% of his penalties and hasn't missed in some 4 years. That's an impressive penalty taker.

Antimadridista1

Scary he's so good at doing difficult things but what is considered as the easiest (but still tough), penalty-kicks, he's bad/average...

Can he progress in that aspect ? Because I feel like he didn't during the past years.

Asylum15

If he took more penalties like the ones against Diego Alves during the Valencia games, he'd be more successful.

His ability to shoot hard with accuracy would be much more difficult to stop.

Pedro

La Masia
[youtube]aHuyeiovTOw[/youtube]

If he takes it like this it will be best, little stutter wait for keeper and then shoot

CanadianBlaugrana

Espanyol was Messi's 100TH penalty for club and country in regular time.

Balance:

— 100 taken
— 77 scored
— 22 missed
— 1 assisted

78% Scored and 22% Missed

JamDav1982

Would guess his penalty record when there is something at stake drops a bit though.

Missed a fair few important pens in his time.

raskolnikov

Would guess his penalty record when there is something at stake drops a bit though.

Missed a fair few important pens in his time.

That would be only logical due to the pressure but its actially the other way around I think. He missed a shitload in pointless copa games but always scored in classico’s cl ko’s (bar chelsea+city) and nt penalties /shoot outs (bar chille last time).

Home of Barca Fans