10 - Lionel Messi - v5

GetIn

Leo needs to guide Argentina to World Cup Victory in 2018 if he is to surpass Maradona.

In the minds of whom? Romantic Argentinian fans, or objective football fans, if we're talking about the latter Messi surpassed everybody years ago.

khaled_a_d

I highly doubt they won't qualify,and this ban will probably be decreased to 2 or something.
I mean many of those FIFA bans has been always aggressive and decreased in most cases,like Suarez prevented from training!!
I think it will be ok and they will qualify,they have two easy home games against Venezuela & Peru and should win it with or without him. He will play against Ecuador anyway so if they won their last 3 I can't see them not finishing top 5,and if finished 5th they will destroy whatever team they play from Asia

BarçaBarça

If by some miracle Argentina win tonight, this is the best scenario for Barcelona. Messi gets rest and doesn't have to worry too much about Argentina.

Yes, that is really what I hope for. He wants Argentina to win, therefore it would be good for Barca if they do.

viper76

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Sandro Ricci: "If I had heard any offensive word (from Messi), I would have acted in according the rules of the game." [ole]</p>— Barcastuff (@barcastuff_real) <a href="https://twitter.com/barcastuff_real/status/846758912330252289">March 28, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Messi983

Great news. He'll get some much needed rest before the most important part of the season and he'll be pissed. He should also visit his doctor in Italy in next days. If Neymar can keep us his form I can see us winning another treble. :messi:

Altomonte

I saw the situation where he got angry with linesman & referee. It was a very tough and physical match against Chile. It was the end of the 1:0 match, he was tired, and he dribbled close to the sideline, close to the linesman. Beausejour pulled him twice back, using his hands. Linesman/referee did nothing. Then Messi made a final attempt to get by Beausejour, resulting in close body contact. Referee gave a foul AGAINST Messi. ARG won the match but Messi was very upset, and rightly so. He should not have insulted the referees, but had a right to be upset.

F

FlaFCB

As many suspected, fifa took this opportunity to punish him for not attending the best gala. 4 matches for swearing, when the refs didn't even reported it, it's way over the top.

I'm not sure how good this can be for Barça. If Argentina fail to qualify for the wc, he'll blame himself and could even quit football.

F

FlaFCB

This is fifa punishing Messi for not attending the best gala, as many suspected. Hopefully this will be 2 after the appeal. And I don't get what luftstalag said that it's wrong. If Argentina fail to qualify be caused of his suspension, it's pretty obvious this would negatively affect him. His relationship with Argentina is complicated from day one, this wouldn't help at all.

Devils

A player swears and is banned for four games? Whereas violent conduct is a straight red and only 3 games? Sounds about right FIFA.

Not the same by any means. Conduct towards players and officials are not correlated. When it is against officials, the punishment is much more severe even if the offense is less malicious.

I play football and if anyone had said what Leo had said to an official in my league they would have been banned for over half of the season. People have been banned for those time periods just for saying "fuck you" or "fuck off" to officials.

It's just how it works, not necessarily just FIFA regulations.

Officials are the most protected people in football.

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

As many suspected, fifa took this opportunity to punish him for not attending the best gala. 4 matches for swearing, when the refs didn't even reported it, it's way over the top.

I'm not sure how good this can be for Barça. If Argentina fail to qualify for the wc, he'll blame himself and could even quit football.

They should win their last 3 games tbh with 2 easy home games and his return in last game,and from what I read Bolivia hasn't been good in this qualification even in home so they might get a win today.
I think there is very good chance they will qualify even if the ban was reduced,and most probably it will be reduced to two games

Home of Barca Fans