10 - Lionel Messi - v5

Barca83

Banned
Messi want nothing more than to win with Argentina. When Sampaoli asked about him about individual players he told him to do his job and not involve him in the selection process. If you want to believe tabloid paper bullshit then it's on you.

then why isn't Icardi going? They have players like Dybala, Lo Celso, Banega, but are expected to start Meza and Acuna in a must win match

Richard.H

The match against Croatia is probably the biggest match for Messi's international team legacy. He tends to crumble under pressure but let's hope this is one of those good Messi pressure matches (CL 2011 and 2015 semis come to mind)

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
then why isn't Icardi going? They have players like Dybala, Lo Celso, Banega, but are expected to start Meza and Acuna in a must win match

Because Sampaoli decided to take Messi, Dybala, Higuain and Aguero as the main forwards to the WC.

As for the other question perhaps you should ask Sampaoli. I don't have his contact number or email, but if you would rather believe some unsourced tabloid rubbish or twitter rumors then perhaps we should ask how you're allowed to use the internet unsupervised instead.

The match against Croatia is probably the biggest match for Messi's international team legacy. He tends to crumble under pressure but let's hope this is one of those good Messi pressure matches (CL 2011 and 2015 semis come to mind)

Yes because 2009 CL final, 2011 CL final and entire CL run + 2015 CL + a couple dozen more matches suggest he tend to crumble under pressure :rolleyes:

You already know how Messi is going to be treated by some here and painted as the scapegoat if Barca don't do well in the future, regardless of everything he's done for the club and is still doing.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

Banega has played with Messi for years. Him being dropped works against that idea of Messi influence not for it.

Do think that Icardi is not there as top players dont have much time for him. Not that they tell Sampaoli who to pick but it is not diffcult for coaches to pick up on it.

Barca83

Banned
Because Sampaoli decided to take Messi, Dybala, Higuain and Aguero as the main forwards to the WC.

As for the other question perhaps you should ask Sampaoli. I don't have his contact number or email, but if you would rather believe some unsourced tabloid rubbish or twitter rumors then perhaps we should ask how you're allowed to use the internet unsupervised instead.

Yes because 2009 CL final, 2011 CL final and entire CL run + 2015 CL + a couple dozen more matches suggest he tend to crumble under pressure :rolleyes:

I'm sure you'll still be believing that Messi has no special influence on team selection even when 35 year old Suarez is trotting around and screwing up attacks as our main striker four years from now.

JamDav1982

I'm sure you'll still be believing that Messi has no special influence on team selection even when 35 year old Suarez is trotting around and screwing up attacks as our main striker four years from now.

Messi obviously has influence all top players do but that doesn mean he is telling Sampaoli who to pick.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona

Are you the guy who was saying Suarez was a bad signing in hindsight?

First of all Suarez is 31, then I believe someone already replied to you about your inane post suggesting signing Suarez was a mistake in hindsight.

I've been a vocal critic of Suarez the past 12 months, but for 3 years he's been outstanding for Barca.

Too bad this place have been attracting more idiots like you lately. Could do with less of them around here.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent

First of all Suarez is 31, then I believe someone already replied to you about your inane post suggesting signing Suarez was a mistake in hindsight.

I've been a vocal critic of Suarez the past 12 months, but for 3 years he's been outstanding for Barca.

Too bad this place have been attracting more idiots like you lately. Could do with less of them around here.

He wasn't anything special in our first season until Anoeta and was trash in 16/17. Makes it 1,5 years, not 3.

Barca83

Banned

He was outstanding for 2 calendar years at most (2015,2016). However, having him in the team has screwed up our formation in the last two years because Messi and him can't coexist in a 433.

I don't think anyone would deny him being
a great player for us, but my question was whether we would have been more successful building a team around Messi as a False 9 as opposed to signing Suarez.

Last edited:
M

MessiCam

Please something like either of these and not some shit 4231 or 3 at the back meme
View attachment 7889
View attachment 7890

Dybala and Messi are both too tactically indisciplined to play in the same 11. They both love playing centrally off the right... As a matter of fact Dybala and Messi were tried in a manner similar to what you’ve posted in pic 2 against Uruguay and Venezuela by Sampaoli and it was a shit show. Dybala completely abandoned the left wing in one of those games to join Messi centrally and on the right. It’s just not going to work unfortunately.

The World Cup is a short tournament. Messi should just go to the right wing with Pavon on the left wing. I’ve given up on Di Maria at this stage...

M

MessiCam

[tw]1009105065506951171[/tw]
This right here perfectly illustrates what I was on about earlier in the thread after watching the game on the tactical cam... In a 4-2-3-1 where the centre forward is the only other attacking presence through the middle it should have been Aguero picking up positions in those areas by holding up play and drawing the CBs for lay-offs or waiting for more to join the attack. But because he scored a goal these things are for the most part overlooked.

vlad

Very nervous for the Croatia match. Not even sure what to expect.

As a Croat, i hope they lose.

One thing is sure, croatia will up their game, we have more problems with teams were we are favorites, we beat spain in the group and finished on top at euro.

We will play with less pressure then argentina, we have offensive power to test their defence and goalkeeper, and midfield with modric and rakitic who can keep the ball, also decent defence

If argentina with messi doesnt show up, they will lose, if they play good, can finished with draw, but i dont see croatia losing this one

Last edited:

Kul_z

As a Croat, i hope they lose.

One thing is sure, croatia will up their game, we have more problems with teams were we are favorites, we beat spain in the group and finished on top at euro.

We will play with less pressure then argentina, we have offensive power to test their defence and goalkeeper, and midfield with modric and rakitic who can keep the ball, also decent defence

If argentina with messi doesnt show up, they will lose, if they play good, can finished with draw, but i dont see croatia losing this one

Same here. I just cant see croatia losing this one. They are not spectacular, but they are pretty balanced, lovren in the back, modric and rakitic in the middle with perisic, mandzukic upfront seems like argies gonna have a bad time

Home of Barca Fans