10 - Lionel Messi - v5

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Messi's peak abilities AND longevity are both already never before seen phenomena in football. It should not surprise us if it ends up that Messi's superiority is so great that he keeps on being incredible to a very late age and never even declines like most players do, staying world class until he decides he's ready to hang it all up.

I could see his running and movement continue to take hits as he ages, but even if/when he becomes more and more of a defensive liability he'll always be a genius on the ball till the very end. He could actually 'decline' to a level of normal world class strikers with 30-40 goal seasons but never get any worse than that.

Ripsta

Once his pace goes, he'll drop into midfield and become a creative tour de force. If anything, it'll be on his own terms when he quits, maybe for family reasons or just to have one last season back in Argentina.

mark1nhu

Well Maradonna played until he was 37...I can see Messi reaching that

Romario managed to play until 41 barely training and taking care of his body. I have the feeling Messi has everything to get there too, but European football is harder than Brazilian, so who knows...

raskolnikov

I hope he stays at barca for 4/5 more years and then goes to Newells for 4 more years. Then against all odds wins the wc in 2026.

He hasn't really declined at all since the 14/15 treble season. He's maintained pretty much the same form, it's just his teammates are playing a lot worse now than they were playing then.

LordLichtenstein

Just to put things into perspective.

Age 30 - Messi will likely end this season with having reached 625 career goals.
Age 31 - 50-60 goals
Age 32 - 50-60 goals
Age 33 - 40-50 goals
Age 34 - 35-45 goals
Age 35 - 30-40 goals
Age 36 - 25-35 goals
Age 37 - 20-30 goals
Age 38 - 15-25 goals
Age 39 - 10-20 goals

Lower - 900 goals
High - 990 goals

Currently Messi is capable of scoring 50-60 goals per season. He should be able to do so for the next 2-3 seasons - but after that, when he starts to decline, he'll likely score around 30-40 per season, which is more than enough for him to reach 900-1000, should he play into his late 30's

Home of Barca Fans