Results 6,721 to 6,727 of 6727

Thread: 10 - Lionel Messi

Wild Man of Borneo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MessiCam View Post
    Who said anything about desperate long balls? I clearly said the better Premiership sides.
    You were the one who said long balls would circumvent Pep's tactics and break them down, if anything I'd say that's one of the least effective ways to counter Pep's football. Better premiership teams? I'd say so far this season their performances against better premiership teams are quite convincing. They'll be even better when Aguero returns and if Gundogan/B. Silva can nail down a productive role in the team even as subs.
    "Dani Jarque, siempre con nosotros"
    -Andres Iniesta

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JamDav1982 View Post
    There was one game at Camp Nou Real could have been 3/4-0 up at half time I am sure that was Pep v Jose will need to look it up.

Real beat Barca a few times as well as that and were not clueless.
    Pep v mou in 2010-11 and 2011-12

barca 5-0 madrid
    barca 0-1 madrid
    barca 2-0 madrid
    barca 1-1 madrid
    barca 1-1 madrid
    barca 2-2 madrid
    barca 3-2 madrid
    barca 3-1 madrid
    barca 2-1 madrid
    barca 2-2 madrid
    barca 1-2 madrid

5W, 2L, 4D. I would call that reasonably one sided.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingLeo10 View Post
    Pep v mou in 2010-11 and 2011-12

barca 5-0 madrid
    barca 0-1 madrid
    barca 2-0 madrid
    barca 1-1 madrid
    barca 1-1 madrid
    barca 2-2 madrid
    barca 3-2 madrid
    barca 3-1 madrid
    barca 2-1 madrid
    barca 2-2 madrid
    barca 1-2 madrid

5W, 2L, 4D. I would call that fairly one sided.
    You never said 'one sided'

You said Real under Mou looked clueless which wasnt the case and in some games they were the better side and in a few Real were battering Barca but didnt take chances.

Pep found it harder and harder v Mou as his time went on.
    Last edited by JamDav1982; Yesterday at 10:39 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingLeo10 View Post
    nah, guardiola's playing philosophy is nearly perfect, the only minus being the sometimes suicidal high line. it gets stronger and stronger the more technical and virtuoso players you have. napoli being the starting level, pep's city and bayern being the proficient level, and barca 2011 being the extreme level. go watch the plays of the 2011 team against teams like jose's madrid and SAF's united. both coaches with a penchant for physical players and counter attacking football looked nearly clueless.

also all 4 of pep's years at barca, the team wasn't on the same level. 09 and especially 11 were the peaks, 10 was brilliant but mired by that inter game, and 12 was the beginning of a slight decline.
    Inter did it yeah, Chelsea did it twice, Arsenal did it... All to various degrees of success but it was a tactic that worked particular if you sat very deep as Inter did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DonAndres View Post
    You were the one who said long balls would circumvent Pep's tactics and break them down, if anything I'd say that's one of the least effective ways to counter Pep's football. Better premiership teams? I'd say so far this season their performances against better premiership teams are quite convincing. They'll be even better when Aguero returns and if Gundogan/B. Silva can nail down a productive role in the team even as subs.
    They only played 2 of the better teams. Liverpool and Chelsea... I’d say things were pretty even against Liverpool with 11 men and in that game Liverpool were knocking them over the top to get behind that defence. Chelsea lost their way once Morata got injured. The rest of the teams... 4 of them are bottom 5. Much like Barça in the early going this season.

And there is a difference between desperate long balls and calculated/counter attacking long balls. This is not rocket science.

Wild Man of Borneo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MessiCam View Post
    They only played 2 of the better teams. Liverpool and Chelsea... I’d say things were pretty even against Liverpool with 11 men and in that game Liverpool were knocking them over the top to get behind that defence. Chelsea lost their way once Morata got injured. The rest of the teams... 4 of them are bottom 5. Much like Barça in the early going this season.

And there is a difference between desperate long balls and calculated/counter attacking long balls. This is not rocket science.
    Long balls, as far as effectiveness is concerned, is almost by definition a desperate way of playing. Low rate of success and even lower when teams actively try long balls with more frequency as a tactic. The only scenario where they can reasonably be used with any sort of frequency is to beat very aggressive offside traps. This is also only ever really effective if the team trying to do them can actually string passes together and transition forward before attempting it, not to mention that while Pep does have a high line he doesn't do it for the purpose of aggressive offside traps.

Chelsea were dominated with or without Morata, they were lucky City weren't able to break them down sooner. Dominated them in shots through the game and even when Morata was on (7 shots to 2, dominating possession).

Liverpool had chances and a decent first half but they were still losing AND getting outplayed, and then after Pep's HT adjustments they were totally wrecked. Going down to 10 men is obviously disadvantageous but Sane was not the difference between 1-0 and 5-0. It's more down to City wearing them down and Pep's adjustments (and Liverpool's defense falling apart) that they got slaughtered in the 2nd half. They ended up with like double the shots and double the possession, no contest at all. Even if Liverpool had been more clinical and equalized or scored 2 before the half it still wouldn't offset the ass beating they received. They could not stop City's onslaught of chance creation, and it's very doubtful that any other EPL team can do that either.
    "Dani Jarque, siempre con nosotros"
    -Andres Iniesta

Culé de Celestial Empire
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JamDav1982 View Post
    Couldnt agree more.

Anyone who wants Barca to fail or Messi to leave is an idiot.
    Amen. I can't amen enough.
    Sóc Culer.