10 - Lionel Messi - v5

ebc_99

Messi is his own worst enemy, he has GOAT level talent and that raises peoples expectations, that's why he's under a loop more than Ronaldo.

I was one of the many that hated when Ronaldo did well, but now it's just hard to deny what he's doing currently, the guy scores 3 goals against Spain, has been scoring non-stop in important matches, and has been clutch.

CR7 has somehow closed the gap that at one point was huge between the two. Unbelieable

He hasn't closed the gap, its bigger than ever. How can you say he scores non stop in big games, did you watch the Champions League final, it was only a few weeks ago. If he is so clutch why did he play so poorly against Liverpool and Bayern and for the first half of La Liga or in the last world cup or in the last Euro championship or against Atletico and Valencia and so on.

Ronaldo is a great player, but he is a level below were he was 3 or 4 years ago, his all round game has deteriorated to a point were he was embarrssing during the first half of the season but he is still scoring goals and that is all people seem to care about. Of all the places to see people jump on the bandwagon, i never thought Barca fans would fall for the media hype.

Givenchy

He hasn't closed the gap, its bigger than ever. How can you say he scores non stop in big games, did you watch the Champions League final, it was only a few weeks ago. If he is so clutch why did he play so poorly against Liverpool and Bayern and for the first half of La Liga or in the last world cup or in the last Euro championship or against Atletico and Valencia and so on.

Ronaldo is a great player, but he is a level below were he was 3 or 4 years ago, his all round game has deteriorated to a point were he was embarrssing during the first half of the season but he is still scoring goals and that is all people seem to care about. Of all the places to see people jump on the bandwagon, i never thought Barca fans would fall for the media hype.

the Americanization of football sadly, 'clutch' and stat this stat that is what they will turn the beautiful game into. people don't even care about magic moments now, its all about stats.

NotInHere

the Americanization of football sadly, 'clutch' and stat this stat that is what they will turn the beautiful game into. people don't even care about magic moments now, its all about stats.
scoring goals isn't easy lol, if it was that easy Messi would have scored that penalty against Iceland.

Cristiano has been scoring a lot and winning major trophies. There hasn't been a lot of magical moments from Messi lately either.

BBZ8800

Lol. Cr7 didn't score in a final and now he is bad.

Regarding key matches, do you know that in the last 13 matches of Cl's quarters, semis and a final, in the last 5 years, Messi didn't score a goal on 12 matches.

So, he didn't score in the last 12 out of 13 key knockout matches.
Think about it a little.

Something happened with Messi after all those Nt finals defeats.

Now try to count how many goals Cr7 scored in Cl knockout rounds in the last 5 years.

The sad truth for Messi is, in the last 5 years, Messi and Barca are kings of La liga.
While both Messi and Barca are invisible in a Cl against big boys.
Cr7 is a boss in the last 5 years in key Cl knockout matches and on an NT level.

After Cr7's goals against Spain, I have seen some troll video where guys said: now Messi will score a hattrick against Getafe and he will be the best again.

That was a troll video, I love Messi, but at the end of the day, it was true.
Messi is lately dominating only La liga matches.
But remember, there is no pressure in La liga.
If you lose one weekend, nothing will happen.
In La liga, we will win 3:0 against Atletico.
In a Cl, we will probably lose 0:2 and 0:0.

Both Barca and Messi are mentally not strong enough anymore for sudden death knockout matches.

BusiTheKing

Because Ronaldo's PR and marketing team are geniuses

They really are. These days, people are literally having their careers ruined because of unfounded rumours or allegations of sexual misconduct. I'm not saying that Ronaldo is guilty, but there was a whole lot more than just rumours and tweets and the whole thing went away as quickly as it came.

soul24rage

Both Barca and Messi are mentally not strong enough anymore for sudden death knockout matches.

To be honest, I agree with some parts of what you said. What we have to differentiate between Messi and Ronaldo is that Ronaldo's main objective is to score goals and not much else while Messi is more of a playmaker who can score goals so is not as goal scoring oriented as Ronaldo is. But that really doesn't excuse his huge disappearances in the last 4 of the past 5 CL QF so either the tactics are wrong (2017 and 2018), the players are not mentally (2018) strong enough or we might be unlucky (2014 comes to mind with the Diego wonder goal or 2016 the defender screw up in Torres' goal). Ronaldo did have a lot of help from his teammates and the refs did help Real in some situations but he stepped up when the team needed him 70% of the time. It's inexcusable for a club like Barca to constantly fail to advance to the Semi finals.

I think the 2015 Copa America Final defeat really mentally screwed him up big time and the constant comparisons with Ronaldo winning the Euros and recent CL wins really did put him in a pressure to deliver. If (and it's a big if) Argentina wins the WC, then I think Messi will much more mentally stronger which is obvious. I really do hope for Barca's sake that Argentina wins the WC.

ebc_99

Lol. Cr7 didn't score in a final and now he is bad.

Regarding key matches, do you know that in the last 13 matches of Cl's quarters, semis and a final, in the last 5 years, Messi didn't score a goal on 12 matches.

So, he didn't score in the last 12 out of 13 key knockout matches.
Think about it a little.

Something happened with Messi after all those Nt finals defeats.

Now try to count how many goals Cr7 scored in Cl knockout rounds in the last 5 years.

The sad truth for Messi is, in the last 5 years, Messi and Barca are kings of La Liga.
While both Messi and Barca are invisible in a Cl against big boys.
Cr7 is a boss in the last 5 years in key Cl knockout matches and on an NT level.

After Cr7's goals against Spain, I have seen some troll video where guys said: now Messi will score a hattrick against Getafe and he will be the best again.

That was a troll video, I love Messi, but at the end of the day, it was true.
Messi is lately dominating only La Liga matches.
But remember, there is no pressure in La Liga.
If you lose one weekend, nothing will happen.
In La Liga, we will win 3:0 against Atletico.
In a Cl, we will probably lose 0:2 and 0:0.

I didn't say Ronaldo was bad, I said he was great but he was also crap in 3 of Real's 4 Champions League finals. Messi has definitely performed much better in Barca's finals than Ronaldo has in Real's no doubt about that. Ronaldo was poor to average in both final's against Atletico and also against Liverpool. He did play well against Juve though.

There is more to Messi's games than scoring goals you know that surely? With Ronaldo, you can judge him on goals because he doesn't do much else but Messi? No, he has to be judged on so much more because he offers so much more to the team. So instead of rating those performances on goals maybe you should analyse his entire performances before you say he hasn't played well.

Being Kings of La Liga is not a sad truth it is a wonderful thing, we are the best team in Spain, 3 doubles in 4 years and a superior head to head against Real.

Ronaldo is not a boss these past 5 years for Portugal lol. Knocked out in the group stages in 2014, he played ok in 2016 but nothing special and missed over 100 minutes of the final his team won without him. Messi has performed far better than Ronaldo for his country over the past 5 years and it's not even a debate.

How can you say there is no pressure in La Liga? It is relentless for 10 months a year, week in week out Barca and Messi have to perform and he does so beautifully, dragging us to another title that we had no right to win considering Real's far superior squad. Where was Ronaldo when his team needed him then, where were his important goals and clutch performances when Real fell out of the title race by Christmas? Maybe Ronaldo is too mentally weak to perform week in week out and can only cope with a few games a year, isn't that the kind of logic you use to criticise Messi?

The truth is that Messi is the greatest talent in the world right now, Ronaldo is limited in comparison. Messi doesn't hide, he looks for the ball and takes responsibilty and tries to make things happen. It doesn't always work out but he has the courage to take control and that requires great strength of character. To see guys like you who don't have a clue what they are talking about say that he is mentally weak after all he has proved in the game is disgusting.

Givenchy

Messi and Barca dominated the CL in style with the Xaviesta duo and Alves at RB. we were playing football from a different galaxy during that era, nobody was close AND I'd argue the CL was much tougher back then. Inter, ACmilan, United, huge historical clubs were forces, heck even Chelsea, Arsenal weren't that bad.

Ronaldo and Madrid have 'dominated' the last 3 CLs with the Kroos-Modric duo and Marcelo at LB. they are playing pretty meh football but their sheer depth (Bale off the bench) gives them so many options. I'd argue the CL is much weaker in recent times though. Inter and AC Milan are nowhere to be seen, United have been terrible, Chelsea and Arsenal garbage etc. not taking away the 3x in a row achievement but Europe is alot weaker currently imo

both Messi and Ronaldo have had the best midfielders in the world behind them when they dominated Europe. we fucked up and didn't replace our midfield and RB -> we exit early year after year and Messi gets the blame. Madrid were doing exactly that before they came up with the Modric-Kroos duo and guess what? Ronaldo got the blame.

neither have really impressed with their national teams. Ronaldo has a sketchy Euro win to his name despite barely even playing the final. Eder won that final and the PR machine went with 'Ronaldo the motivator' as their headline pictures instead of Eder celebrating the goal HE scored. social media is warping the reality using stats.

this world cup will be crucial to decide the GOAT of this generation. if Ronaldo wins it with Portugal even without playing a second in the final, he'll be hailed the GOAT and life as a Messi fan will be unbearable.

if neither win it, Messi has another shot at a Copa America

Last edited:

snowy

Dr. Van Nostrand clinical case study 2:

On transference as a defense mechanism. The purporting of any Messianic Savior figure as flawed serves as a coping instrument and sacrifice emblem in times of emotional unrest.
Patient projects unto an outside figure of strength his own fears and anxieties, as a crutch to navigate the virginal labyrinths of its unsettled id. Sharing these revelations acts as barrier against an overflow of the id and shelters the mind from falling into intrapsychic crisis.

DRVN.jpg giddy up

When feeling overwhelmed, patient will use negative transference into a doom-concentric loop.
Feelings of insecurities, inadequacies, impotence and fears are revealed through lamentations, emasculation fetiche and toxic outcries:

Pains me to say, CR7 is the best! / Messi needs to score on the Big Stage to prove himself to the World! / History shows it, he can't deliver when it matters most / little push-over Granny Iniesta @BBZ ;) / He is the GOAT but let's admit guys, he IS a choker! / When he doesn't run, we're like 10 men on the field / I'm so sad! CR7 has now dethroned him! / Our players are a bunch of pussies! / He lost his nerves! / Ramos is an ass but he's a real warrior unlike our squad of little boys / oh my gawd! our players just got fucked!!! / our midgets need to step up! / CR7 is the perfect sport specimen! / Messi is not an elite scorer anymore :wave:

Pointing out the eunichization imagery :jason2:

Thing about chance is, it eventually evens out. Watch Lady Luck swing back & dance the tango a gogo with Leo. Ole!

No CL win is not due to Leo being mentally weak; it's due to poor signings and rotation.

It's like having Senna do a pit-stop and force him to get out of the car to put the fuel in and change the tires. + provide him with oil of Olay instead of proper gasoline. I mean WTF!

Peace out yo :rap:

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans