10 - Lionel Messi - v5

ThwiX

Best midfielder around
you need to have a voice on the pitch. Messi does not have it.

Captain needs to be Rakitic or Umtiti.
Rakitic shouldn’t be a starter, so that’s a no for him. Same thing as when people wanted Mascherano to be captain. Umtiti isn’t taking enough responsibility out on the pitch, too young and new at club and then there is the inconsistency in his performances. Not even close to being captain material right now just because he cares a lot about the club. By that logic, get Bartra back and make him captain. Don’t think I have seen someone get as involved and care so much about every club he goes to as that guy.

Potroh

I don't mind him being captain but Messi needs to show he cares. At times in Ucl exits he looks like he's at a training session and doesn't really care.

Certainly, because he is not the "born leader" as far as these clumsy stereotypes go.
But mind it, that captaincy nowadays means little to nothing, specially when most coaches shout and flail from half a meter from the line during the entire game.
Originally the captain was the guy being the blower of the coach's plan, but these days the very role has lost its original meaning.
If the captain is respected and perhaps a bit elderly, it just enough.

Messi983

They vote but I think in Barça (don't know about other clubs) it's just a formality when it comes to (first) captain and vice-captain. Captaincy is based more on seniority these days and in our case also on homegrown status. It was clear when Puyol left that Xavi will take the armand and after him it was Iniesta's turn. Based on his quiet personality I don't think he was ever very vocal in the locker room but he had respect of the teammates, opponents and referees. Now it's similar with Messi. It would look strange if not even bad if team mates wouldn't vote for him.

Voting is really only deciding about 3rd or 4th captain which can become more important in future if captain/vice-captain leave and players usually move up the captaincy ranks if they don't leave before. So this season players will vote for a new 4th captain (probably between Raki and MATS) while Busi and Pique will become vice-captain and 2nd vice-captain. Don't really like either of them in those roles, especially Pique but it is what it is.

GOAT_SUAREZ

Rakitic shouldn’t be a starter, so that’s a no for him. Same thing as when people wanted Mascherano to be captain. Umtiti isn’t taking enough responsibility out on the pitch, too young and new at club and then there is the inconsistency in his performances. Not even close to being captain material right now just because he cares a lot about the club. By that logic, get Bartra back and make him captain. Don’t think I have seen someone get as involved and care so much about every club he goes to as that guy.

Rakitic shouldn't be starter? He is worldclass.

Pepe Silvia

He's Barca captain for me. Has 550 goals and 250 assists for us, is the only remaining figure from the Rijkaard era, has bailed us out/put us over the top time and time again in decisive matches/big matches.

also fact that he's gone through both the joyous peaks (pep era, 2015 MSN) and struggling lows (key figures/legends departing over the years) makes it fitting that he gets the mantle now.

he hasn't been a great/good captain for argentina but we shouldn't conflate argentina messi for barca messi.
it's the same fuckin' thing... I am a Messi fan but I am a Barca fan first. Barca catering to Messi's ego like ARG did when they gave up Mascherano armband which was one of the things that ruined ARG imo.

The only thing Messi has ever displayed in terms of captain material was that second half entrance tunnel speech he gave to his players against NIG. That's after years of hanging his head in defeat when things go wrong on the pitch. Face facts people.

Icarium

Lifestealer
The discussion is moot. Captaincy at Barca is always voted by the players. They decide who gets to lead them. Let them decide.

Pepe Silvia

The discussion is moot. Captaincy at Barca is always voted by the players. They decide who gets to lead them. Let them decide.
appease the Messi and get on with it... or something.

just jokes... you have a good point. They know who their true leader is. WWG1WGA

eaman

Captains armband is just an armband for show. Messi will lead by example. You will still have the loud vocal players doing their thing and organising the defence and midfield and getting players going. People like pique and alba

RMU ReBorn

Messi being captain ruined Argentina ? :lol: As if they would have won three trophys if Masche was the captain . Their problems are much deep rooted right from the federation . Captaincy is the last thing that they should be pondering over

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
it's the same fuckin' thing... I am a Messi fan but I am a Barca fan first. Barca catering to Messi's ego like ARG did when they gave up Mascherano armband which was one of the things that ruined ARG imo.

The only thing Messi has ever displayed in terms of captain material was that second half entrance tunnel speech he gave to his players against NIG. That's after years of hanging his head in defeat when things go wrong on the pitch. Face facts people.

You don't need the armband to lead.

Didn't prevent Puyol from being a beast of a leader for Spain when they needed him the most in 2010.

It's a shitty excuse. If you're not able to lead or act as a leader without the armband you're a shitty leader in the first place.

FCB1987

Banned
I can't see CR winning a Ballon d'Or at Juve. If Modric can lead Croatia to victory Sunday, he'll probably win it this year and then I'm confident Messi can get at least one more in coming years.

If CR gets it this year, I doubt Messi will ever overtake him.

oggmar

I can't see CR winning a Ballon d'Or at Juve. If Modric can lead Croatia to victory Sunday, he'll probably win it this year and then I'm confident Messi can get at least one more in coming years.

What a tragedy it would be if Ronaldo ended his career with more Ballon d'Ors than Messi.

Givenchy

Modric deserves it but if Xavi/Iniesta couldn't win one, i highly doubt Modric can. the world cup victory should have a huge swing but i don't think it will. Ronaldo will be back to banging in goals in a poor league just in time for Ballon d'or voting, we've seen this type of shit time and time again. I wouldn't even be suprised if the top 3 is Ronaldo, Messi and Neymar, its a fucking farce but what can you do...

Home of Barca Fans