User Tag List

Page 613 of 633 FirstFirst ... 113513563603611612613614615623 ... LastLast
Results 9,181 to 9,195 of 9493

Thread: 10 - Lionel Messi

  1. #9181
    Senior Member
    henias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    675
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ousmane Dembélé View Post
    The middle is too clogged with Messi and Suarez, not sure how well cutting inside would work here, that's why I suggested some alternatives like adapting himself to play CM.
    I feel the same way. Both Coutinho and Suarez should be testing the defenders line. But Coutinho likes to stay outside the box, and dribble inwards and Messi does the same. Problem now is Messi is a heavy dribbler along those areas, and Coutinho should be making more runs behind the defence.

    We aint wasting all that posession just for Messi and Coutinho to constantly take long shots. Coutinho needs to do much more like Iniesta, linking up with Alba more, overlap more, may be try to be creative and make some good lob balls. But for now, he hasnt quite grasp all this yet, and going for long shots isnt quite ideal for Barcelona. He tends to do that alot for Liverpool but it aint working if opponents park the bus.

  2. #9182
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    1,299
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ousmane Dembélé View Post
    The middle is too clogged with Messi and Suarez, not sure how well cutting inside would work here, that's why I suggested some alternatives like adapting himself to play CM.
    One of Messi or Suarez are dropped. Front 3 would be Coutinho LW - Messi/Suarez CF - Dembele RW.

    I think some are getting confused or need a refresher as to how Barca's positional play works...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0452.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	7673

    In the image above take note of the red line where the final third starts. After that players are allowed to move around/cut in as they please. Positional integrity is only to be maintained during build up and play out from behind. The pivot is also expected to maintain his position in and around the centre circle. What also happens is that those playing on the left half cannot move over to the right half and vice versa apart from the centre forward who on occasion is expected to drop deep. The only time they get freedom is in the final third.

    What we have happening with Valverde's system is players moving all over the place particularly Rakitic and Paulinho. Pay close attention when watching games how Busquets, Iniesta and Dembélé maintain their positional integrity. Dembélé played under Tuchel and is very aware of his positioning.

  3. #9183
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    1,299
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henias View Post
    I feel the same way. Both Coutinho and Suarez should be testing the defenders line. But Coutinho likes to stay outside the box, and dribble inwards and Messi does the same. Problem now is Messi is a heavy dribbler along those areas, and Coutinho should be making more runs behind the defence.

    We aint wasting all that posession just for Messi and Coutinho to constantly take long shots. Coutinho needs to do much more like Iniesta, linking up with Alba more, overlap more, may be try to be creative and make some good lob balls. But for now, he hasnt quite grasp all this yet, and going for long shots isnt quite ideal for Barcelona. He tends to do that alot for Liverpool but it aint working if opponents park the bus.
    But this is problem we have with Suárez as a sole striker. Everybody thought it would be a good idea for him to be the one occupying the CB's... What they're doing is completely ignoring him and using the offside trap. The result of this is he drifts left and Messi is having to do a lot more from deeper which includes taking long shots.

  4. #9184
    Danger Ahead
    Ghostmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    3,405
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  5. #9185
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    1,299
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ I will readily admit that RW Messi is the most wonderful thing you’ll ever witness on a football field.

    They planning on playing him there against Chelsea?

  6. #9186
    Senior Member
    henias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    675
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ousmane Dembélé View Post
    LOL, he won't play there even if Valverde starts him as RW. Remember the 2nd half of 15/16 and the entirety of 16/17? Messi was listed as a RW on the team sheet but dropped in behind Suarez, ruining the balance and structure of the entire team. Messi is not willing to play RW, better not to force it, or otherwise we could end up with this horror show in attack again:



    Overcrowded left flank, empty right flank and susceptible to counters and defensive breakdowns.
    And now Coutinho is in the same area in between Neymar and Messi lol.

  7. #9187
    Senior Member
    Hardy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    816
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He runs more in practice than official match

  8. #9188
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    1,299
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ousmane Dembélé View Post
    LOL, he won't play there even if Valverde starts him as RW. Remember the 2nd half of 15/16 and the entirety of 16/17? Messi was listed as a RW on the team sheet but dropped in behind Suarez, ruining the balance and structure of the entire team. Messi is not willing to play RW, better not to force it, or otherwise we could end up with this horror show in attack again:



    Overcrowded left flank, empty right flank and susceptible to counters and defensive breakdowns.
    I know exactly what you’re talking about.

  9. #9189
    President of FC Barcelona
    DonAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    24,518
    Blog Entries
    3
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First Jorge Sampaoli and now AFA President Chiqui Tapia have called and told Messi to ensure he gets to rest more and don't play games or more minutes just for the sake of it.

    So he can arrive fresh at the WC instead.
    Just get a better midfield

  10. #9190
    Senior Member
    Albo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,218
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DonAK View Post
    First Jorge Sampaoli and now AFA President Chiqui Tapia have called and told Messi to ensure he gets to rest more and don't play games or more minutes just for the sake of it.

    So he can arrive fresh at the WC instead.
    And then they will call Messi to play meaningless friendlies for Argentina in Papua New Guinea. 90 minutes each game of course.

  11. #9191
    President of FC Barcelona
    DonAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    24,518
    Blog Entries
    3
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Albo View Post
    And then they will call Messi to play meaningless friendlies for Argentina in Papua New Guinea. 90 minutes each game of course.


    Although tbf, they're actually scheduling all their friendlies before the WC in Europe for that reason too. Will even reportedly have one at Camp Nou.
    Just get a better midfield

  12. #9192
    Senior Member
    Albo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,218
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DonAK View Post


    Although tbf, they're actually scheduling all their friendlies before the WC in Europe for that reason too. Will even reportedly have one at Camp Nou.
    Messi still shouldn't play those friendlies. Argentina team is completely shite without Messi, this is not even a hyperbole, they can't do anything at all without him. Of course the defence is okay but the attacking side of their game is just completely dead without Messi. If they don't fix that before WC starts it's going to be their downfall.

  13. #9193
    Senior Member
    Messi983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    4,911
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And how do you expect Argentina's team to gel together if Messi wouldn't play friendlies? Yes, they are crap without him but their whole system is based around Messi and baring injuries or suspensions he'll play all games at World Cup except maybe the last one in group stage if they'll already qualify for the second round but that won't be easy in their group.

  14. #9194
    Senior Member
    aaron101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,334
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DonAK View Post


    Although tbf, they're actually scheduling all their friendlies before the WC in Europe for that reason too. Will even reportedly have one at Camp Nou.
    They will have a friendly at Wanda Metropolitano in Madrid (Spain vs Argentina). I wanna see Iniesta vs Messi again.

  15. #9195
    Senior Member
    Albo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,218
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Messi983 View Post
    And how do you expect Argentina's team to gel together if Messi wouldn't play friendlies? Yes, they are crap without him but their whole system is based around Messi and baring injuries or suspensions he'll play all games at World Cup except maybe the last one in group stage if they'll already qualify for the second round but that won't be easy in their group.
    And if Messi gets a injury/suspension they'll come crashing down. Better to have a sound plan b.