10 - Lionel Messi - v5

Stoichkov1

No. It was published after one game in which Argentina saw an inordinate amount of the ball with Messi playing in the hole with 2 defensively minded players behind him. The article says he ran 7.61km in total and 1.42 while not in possession. Meaning he ran some 6.2km with the ball at his feet... Mainly in oppositions half. That’s an awful lot of work on the ball. Why wasn’t that distance in comparison to his peers highlighted?

We already know that Messi doesn’t defend (poor workrate) so some part of that difference is covered by exactly that. Now take into account that Argentina saw so much of the ball that whatever pressing, minimal as it may be in terms of Messi, just didn’t happen. As for making half the number of sprints... Well, sprint to where exactly? He was up against a low block and he was tasked with making plays... Coutinho and Özil played in very open, end to end, matches.

If the article was written to highlight Messi’s shortcomings then it has failed spectacularly but if it was written to highlight the one man nature of Argentina’s game then it is fair enough.

Sorry but what's the point of walking and conserving energy if Messi doesn't even run when he's required to?

I would understand the walking if he attempted a decent number of sprints or reached a good top speed, but he didn't. He just walked for the entire match.

M

MessiCam

Sorry but what's the point of walking and conserving energy if Messi doesn't even run when he's required to?

I would understand the walking if he attempted a decent number of sprints or reached a good top speed, but he didn't. He just walked for the entire match.
Already sorted this with the time and distance spent at certain speeds. Go and have a look. It will surprise you.

henias

Too many coaches naively think "building a team around Messi" means pass to Messi all the time. And people wonder why these teams constantly fail and ultimately puts the blame on Messi. Opponents just deploy 4-5 men to mark Messi and their job is done.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
It also tells a story.
In the age of social media the opinion of random people has a huge value for those who are insecure in their own perception.

Following this, what also tells a story is CR s frequent self-advertising, when the GOAT/ballon d'or questions arise. I have yet to hear Messi promoting himself.

Personaly, i think he doesn t need to belive.

He knows.

But what about those adidas ads? “There will be haters” and those GOAT ads. Messi certainly promotes himself as the GOAT even if he denies it in interviews.

Judoman

But what about those adidas ads? “There will be haters” and those GOAT ads. Messi certainly promotes himself as the GOAT even if he denies it in interviews.

No. Others do it. The goat narrative sells things.
Find one single interview where he promotes himself for any trophy.

jj_101

The GOAT is Pele. Anybody who thinks otherwise is too young or completely ignorant.
Won his first World Cup at 18 years of age and his 3rd at 30. 1281 goals in 1363 games.

vlad

The GOAT is Pele. Anybody who thinks otherwise is too young or completely ignorant.
Won his first World Cup at 18 years of age and his 3rd at 30. 1281 goals in 1363 games.

I hope you are joking or its sarcasm, i suppose you dont know that his goals in friendly matches were also counted, there was also garrincha in that brasil team, pele didnt do it alone on WC

Judoman

Totaly different period and situation. Football was not as global as it is now.
Pele s Brazil was by far the strongest team with or without him. Garrincha, Jairzinho, Tostão, Gérson, Rivelino....

He is certanly "one of the". My dad, who saw him play says, that it s betwen him, Cruyff and Messi.

ThwiX

Best midfielder around
not officially, just "rumors"

Caballero; Mercado, Otamendi, Tagliafico; Salvio, Enzo, Mascherano, Acuna; Messi, Meza; Aguero

Not rumors anymore, that lineup has been confirmed now. Got no words. Expecting the worst here. Crazy to have Dybala, Lo Celso, Banega, Pavon, Di Maria etc. sitting on the bench while starting a bunch of nobodies instead. Sampaoli really lost his mind and ruined Messi’s last chance to win a WC.

Last edited:

FCBfan22

Sampaoli is daft. How can a lineup be announced a day before the match.

fucking Perez was brought in as a Lanzini replacement. And now he's starting? Against Croatia?

ThwiX

Best midfielder around
Who the fuck is even supposed to create something in this game with such a lineup? Just look at it, FFS. Messi dropping all the way down in defense to create. You know it’s gonna happen, lol.

Stoichkov1

Not rumors anymore, that lineup has been confirmed now. Got no words. Expecting the worst here. Crazy to have Dybala, Lo Celso, Banega, Pavon, Di Maria etc. sitting on the bench while starting a bunch of nobodies instead. Sampaoli really lost his mind and ruined Messi’s last chance to win a WC.

Di Maria and Banega are terrible but Dybala and Lo Celso definitely should start.

Home of Barca Fans