User Tag List

Page 570 of 580 FirstFirst ... 70470520560568569570571572 ... LastLast
Results 8,536 to 8,550 of 8687

Thread: 10 - Lionel Messi

  1. #8536
    Senior Member
    Windhook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    1,360
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FCBfan22 View Post
    Anyway, player's fathers who come from lower class backgrounds shouldn't be their agents, let alone financial advisors.
    It's not about that, really. CR7 is also having tax troubles and yet he has the best agent in the world, Jorge Mendes.

    Jorge Messi or someone else in the family might have debt problems. Gambling addiction is common among relatives of superstars. Who knows? The fact is Leo is providing for a large family, almost a community in Argentina.

  2. #8537
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    954
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ousmane Dembťlť View Post
    Sure, but if we're not supposed to care about footballers private lives then we should stop glorifying them all the time as some sort of deity with godly powers and status, but rather just acknowledge them for their exceptional talent on the field.
    And thatís exactly how it should be. Messiís personal life is of no interest to me. I only care about what he does on the pitch and heís exceptional at that.

    That said, I still donít see any connection. If he gets a jail sentence for shady dealings thatís on him. I just watch him play.

  3. #8538
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    954
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Windhook View Post
    The only wrongdoing in this case is Leo, or his father most likely, insisting the club to compensate them for the 12 million back taxes. The rest of the investigation and article is surely hurtful for Messi's public image, but not illegal stuff. Expect to see some poor performances on the pitch by Leo the near future.
    They loaned him the money. He wasnít compensated for it...

  4. #8539
    Senior Member
    serghei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Bucharest
    Posts
    10,285
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neeraj View Post
    From a legal sense, you're right. Ignorance of the law is not an excuse. I'm only talking about the lens with which we perceive Messi - it's all shades of grey here, and these things change the tone of grey, that's it.

    If he broke the law, then there's no excuse to be made for him not knowing about it, because it looks like this isn't the first time this happening either, in Spain.

    Either way, this entire thing is so unfortunate. I feel like we gave him everything, and vice versa. Things were perfect. It's so frustrating that such things keep haunting us.
    I perceive him in a negative light myself. His name is all over the scandal. It doesn't matter who advised him or not, he made the call. He started as a very humble and great guy, but his huge fame and power in football have made him worse as a person, as they got to unhealthy levels.

    I don't buy this ingnorant, legally-retard Messi who doesn't know what he's doing and is used as a puppet and frontman by his devil family, while he's a genuine good person. He probably knew what he was doing and was ill-advised by his father.

    He's no role model for kids out there that's for sure. To be a great role model as a footballer you need to be a great player (which he is), but also a great person and one with many virtues that are worthy to be admired (which he isn't).
    Last edited by serghei; 13th January 2018 at 11:25 AM.

  5. #8540
    Senior Member
    FCBfan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    1,073
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Windhook View Post
    It's not about that, really. CR7 is also having tax troubles and yet he has the best agent in the world, Jorge Mendes.

    Jorge Messi or someone else in the family might have debt problems. Gambling addiction is common among relatives of superstars. Who knows? The fact is Leo is providing for a large family, almost a community in Argentina.
    Or maybe his brothers are moving arms illegaly. That's how the politicians got rich here in our country during the 90's.

  6. #8541
    Senior Member
    Windhook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    1,360
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FCBfan22 View Post
    Or maybe his brothers are moving arms illegaly. That's how the politicians got rich here in our country during the 90's.
    Haha. Would have sound right if Messi was Mexican.

  7. #8542
    Senior Member
    Neeraj's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    833
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FCBfan22 View Post
    Or maybe his brothers are moving arms illegaly. That's how the politicians got rich here in our country during the 90's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Windhook View Post
    Haha. Would have sound right if Messi was Mexican.
    Haha, I just finished the first episode of Ozark. A sign?
    f. Signatures must not slow down the forum (no gifs, maximum size 30kb and 700 wide x 200 tall pixels for images OR 5 lines of text (in english/catalan/castellano)

  8. #8543
    Senior Member
    Kerrybai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Kerry, Ireland
    Posts
    4,629
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont like the scandal but im not a hypocrite either. Ive cut corners on taxes before and im currently in the process of doing it again. Albeit im not a multimillionaire, but the principles remain the same.

    Far too many people taking the moral high ground and pretending to be disgusted when in reality they would do the same. Just my 2 cents.

  9. #8544
    Senior Member
    FinBarcelonafan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Turku
    Posts
    1,332
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerrybai View Post
    I dont like the scandal but im not a hypocrite either. Ive cut corners on taxes before and im currently in the process of doing it again. Albeit im not a multimillionaire, but the principles remain the same.

    Far too many people taking the moral high ground and pretending to be disgusted when in reality they would do the same. Just my 2 cents.
    True and most of the people would struggle with that much money on their hands. It's not easy to handle hundreds of millions.

  10. #8545
    Senior Member
    dakt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    5,513
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerrybai View Post
    I dont like the scandal but im not a hypocrite either. Ive cut corners on taxes before and im currently in the process of doing it again. Albeit im not a multimillionaire, but the principles remain the same.

    Far too many people taking the moral high ground and pretending to be disgusted when in reality they would do the same. Just my 2 cents.
    I don't understand "I'm not hypocrite" or "pretending to be disgusted when in reality they would do the same" arguments.
    Then why is this a subject at all? If everyone would do it, as you say, then this is not a problem. Iniesta should also do the same. In fact all Barca players should do it. Let the system rot to its core and collapse. And you know what will happen after that? You will be the first one to judge and say "I knew it", it's greed that caused all of that. At the moment you're justifying it because the consequences are not yet certain. As long as we get our dose of football fix, all is well. And when ship will begin to sink - bye, bye Barca, hello PSG.

    Yes, I will take the moral high ground and judge the act of greed every time I see one. I will never take a peace with it, nor with any other bad behavior just because it fits the system. "Everyone is doing it" argument is just as dangerous or even more, as the actual act.

    Now you will judge me for not accepting the greed and call me a hypocrite. That's the human condition. Total paradox. Let's laugh, lets be cynical. "Visca el Barca".

  11. #8546
    Barcaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold... and I don't know the names of the players.
    Posts
    26,893
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't sign up to this moral relativism either. Let's all start acting like animals then and abandon social contracts. See how would you like it.

    Messi can be excused if the dealings were made through his dad. On other hand, if Leo was on top of this all then he should be held accountable.

  12. #8547
    Member
    Sorin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    416
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, before he goes to jail...KdB + 200 millions for Messi? Would be satisfied with Sane + 250/300 million as well.

  13. #8548
    Senior Member
    Hardy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    795
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    can't believe what i'm reading, ok now legalize tax evasion and we are all fine

    I have zero fucking solidarity for multi-billionaires who break the rules with tax, imagine in the case of Messi (if all this shit is true) considering the fact that he's recidivist.

  14. #8549
    Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    313
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dakt View Post
    I don't understand "I'm not hypocrite" or "pretending to be disgusted when in reality they would do the same" arguments.
    Then why is this a subject at all? If everyone would do it, as you say, then this is not a problem. Iniesta should also do the same. In fact all Barca players should do it. Let the system rot to its core and collapse. And you know what will happen after that? You will be the first one to judge and say "I knew it", it's greed that caused all of that. At the moment you're justifying it because the consequences are not yet certain. As long as we get our dose of football fix, all is well. And when ship will begin to sink - bye, bye Barca, hello PSG.

    Yes, I will take the moral high ground and judge the act of greed every time I see one. I will never take a peace with it, nor with any other bad behavior just because it fits the system. "Everyone is doing it" argument is just as dangerous or even more, as the actual act.

    Now you will judge me for not accepting the greed and call me a hypocrite. That's the human condition. Total paradox. Let's laugh, lets be cynical. "Visca el Barca".
    There's a big difference between south american players and european players.

    South american players' families are generally speaking ineducated and greedy as hell and they would do everything possible to get more money. Neymar for example had to pay 45mil to the tax agency some time ago which is way more than the 21m euro fine that Messi had to pay.

  15. #8550
    Senior Member
    serghei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Bucharest
    Posts
    10,285
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of players are cheating tax, but what makes this case even worse is that he used a charity foundation as a front company. That's low. It's worse enough to do it, but to even be cynical enough to do it while claiming to do charity acts is even worse.