10 - Lionel Messi - v5

SG-7

Those are damming stats and they don't lie either. Messi has become expert at destroying run of the mill liga teams but disappears on the biggest stages.

So valencia, atletico, Sevilla, Chelsea, Juventus and even Real Madrid are run of the mill teams now?

What a joke..

People are seriously blowing this out of proportion and its just getting fking sad now.

BUt i do agree there is a mental issue with Messi. Was clear as day in the argentina match today.

Valverde needs to sit down and have a proper chat with him to figure out whats going on in that head of his. He still have 4 good years left in in and we need to capitilise on it as much as possible.

Think countinho and dembele being regular additions will help messi immensely upfront. We just need to get past the mental block in quaterfinals > of CL that he seems to have.

viper76

Any decent coatch with a strong personality would drop Messi of his team when he's performing like he did last night it was like Argentina were playing with 10 men .

It's so painful to watch Messi in this form .

Pedro

La Masia
I don't think anybody here tonight is taking about Messi and Barcelona, they are taking about Messi and Argentina. And if you think what's being said here is bad, then you should listen to what is being said in Argentina. Even what Diego Simone is saying tonight; 'for a normal team I would rather have Ronaldo than Messi'...
Some people here only see Messi though Barcelona eyes, but there are two Messi's. Sadly that's the problem.

Exactly.

[MENTION=15376]DonAK[/MENTION] No one cares about you here, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Flavius

Painful to watch Messi like this...I think there are deeper problems that we will probably never know, not sure if personal , too much pressure on his shoulders or dressing room with the players or staff...He doesn.t sync with at all, hence this team has no sync. Would be a surprise if they win against Nigeria.

What.s next for Messi after a group exit? Don.t want to think, but i don.t see it good this time. If he retires will be for good, no coming back... hope he doesn.t do it, he don.t deserve this exit on the back of the door.

sundar

Facts:

Champions League Quarterfinal to Final Goals, last 7 seasons:

Cristiano Ronaldo (30)
Lewandowski (10)
Muller (9)
Neymar 8)
Mandzukic (7)
Robben, Suarez (6)
Benzema, Sergio Ramos, Griezmann, Messi (5)

Messi in his last 5 world cup games:

2014 QF vs Belgium
2014 SF vs Holland
2014 Final vs Germany

2018 vs Iceland
2018 vs Croatia

Combined: 0 goals, 0 assists.

Yet people will be called trolls and will be called on to be banned for pointing out things that are simple to see.

His performance in the big matches have dropped drastically in recent years.

Can't blame his teammates and coaches every single time.
It's quite ridiculous. Messi seriously should do better. I know stats don't say everything. There r some games he is heavily marked. There are some games, teammates didn't help him.

But still, he largely disappointing in many of those games. But the one thing everyone should remember is even in his peak years, he didn't scored much in knockouts ( specially semi finals).
I am curious to know his shots percentage, how many goal scoring chances he missed etc.

putogusiluz8

The Pale One
Painful to watch Messi like this...I think there are deeper problems that we will probably never know, not sure if personal , too much pressure on his shoulders or dressing room with the players or staff...He doesn.t sync with at all, hence this team has no sync. Would be a surprise if they win against Nigeria.

What.s next for Messi after a group exit? Don.t want to think, but i don.t see it good this time. If he retires will be for good, no coming back... hope he doesn.t do it, he don.t deserve this exit on the back of the door.

He can't quit. You can accept the failure but giving up that will be impossible to justify. He will go down in Argentina's history as a shame.

Meatball

Messi should stay and play the 2022 WC. I'm sure he will

Morten

Too bad the 2022 WC doesnt count as a real WC.
The next proper WC will be in 2026.

Oh, how i wish at least one big nation has the courage to boycott it, then the rest could follow.

Last edited:

Pedro

La Masia
Too bad the 2022 WC doesnt count as a real WC.
The next proper WC will be in 2026.

Oh, how i wish at least one big nation has the courage to boycott it, then the rest could follow.

It does count as a real World Cup...it's just in Winter because it's in Qatar.

I could see Messi and Ronaldo both playing until the 2026 World Cup and retiring after that

serghei

This only proves that both Messi and Ronaldo need great service to shine, not just Ronaldo. And that the manager's importance for a team is at historic high in today's football.

MTL_Barca

I don't think he should do it because there will be no change for Argentina. Next mediocre manager will just nominate questionable players and play bad lineups all day long while hoping Messi can carry them. The pressure for Leo would still be too big and in the end it will end up in another sad world cup. They had their opportunity 2014 where they also played average but somehow made it to finals and had big chances to win it. After that and the Copas the team looks completely dead.

If they somehow make a cut, find a good manager that manages to build a working team and then would have Messi on top of that he could play his last WC but i can't see that happening. Like even if Di Maria or Higuain would retire from NT now, there are more than enough players like Meza or Enzo Perez out there to build the next shit squad that struggles to qualify and 100% depends on Messi playing good.

Tbh Messi should have stayed retired 2016. They wouldn't even be in Russia now without him and that's exactly what should have happened to these clowns. They then would've probably blamed Messi for retiring instead of their bad coach and his shitty squad but at least Messi could just not give a shit about that. He deserves better than dragging them through another 4 years of mediocrity and i also don't think he can do it in 4 years. Nobody knows how he will play then, i don't want to see an old and semi-retired Messi getting humiliated one last time with Argentina. People say he doesn't care but i don't believe that even if he doesn't have the spirit to fight and show it that doesn't mean he doesn't care. That penalty miss probably kills him and will haunt him forever, but it's not fair because even the best player should be allowed to make a mistake. It's all on him, all talk is always about what Messi will do with Argentina, every loss meant more and more pressure. He should just be done with it.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans