10 - Lionel Messi - v5

Ritchie

Yeah this would be perfect to settle the debate once and for all, forget who gets more Ballon D'ors

So Messi creates a load of chances for Di Maria and Higuain to miss and Ronaldo wins the game after diving for a penalty or a five yard tap in and he's the GOAT?

Mitchell1978

The footballing world does NOT owe Messi a World Cup or any international accolades for that matter. He has played in 4 international finals so far in his career. In those 4 matches Argentina have scored a grand total of ZERO goals. Being the greatest of all time one would've expected him to produce at least one moment of magic and win one of those aforementioned tournaments. But he didn't.

You can only blame his international teammates for so long. Those same "shitty" teammates were good enough to get to multiple international finals.

In finals big time players are expected to step up on the big stage. Messi was unable to prevent Argentina from getting a clean sheet against in 4 major international finals, that is inexcusable from a player of his caliber.

Spare me the excuses, there is no need to feel pity for Messi, he had numerous chances and failed to deliver. The way some people talk about Argentina you'd think they've been eliminated in the groups stages for the past 10 years. Could Messi have had a better team, sure, but he was not on a team with no chance of winning anything like Egypt or Sweden. He was one a contender that had a supporting cast good enough to go very deep into major tournaments.

Nobody is owed anything that is true and it was dumb of Sampaoli to say that (or the way he's putting pressure on Messi right now with his comments) i agree with you there.

The rest is your usual diatribe really.I think they lost to a better team in each of those finals, there were chances but not many.
Besides had Argentina won one of those Copa's the same critics would still be bitching about never winning the World Cup .

El Flaco

And what if Ronaldo ends up winning both of them? I doubt any of us here would be calling him the GOAT.

Maybe not us Barca fans (which is totally understandable), but definitely among neutrals.

Cristiano will forever be recognized as a GOAT by the history books if Portugal makes the impossible, whenever we like it or not.

raskolnikov

Maybe not us Barca fans (which is totally understandable), but definitely among neutrals.

Cristiano will forever be recognized as a GOAT by the history books if Portugal makes the impossible, whenever we like it or not.

Eevryone who watched them play knows Messi is the way superior football. No amount of goals or pr pushed media hype changes that.

soul24rage

very concerning. he said that he was optimistic to make it to tuesday's game. i hope that he doesn't play against spain and if possible against sevilla too

BarcaOG

Banned
Eevryone who watched them play knows Messi is the way superior football. No amount of goals or pr pushed media hype changes that.

it wont matter. just as we dismiss youtube clips today, so will people dissmiss them in 20 years. for those who 'know' football messi will always be remembered as better, but for upcoming generations and average/neutral/indifferent/occasional football fans the Euro win and CL goal stats will only weigh more as time passes. for example we obviously know that the intensity/physicality/professionalism/athleticism of football has changed dramatically since real won the 5 consecutive european cups and pele won those first two world cups but we still count the achievements nonetheless, paying less attention (unfortunately i think) to the quality of the game

Home of Barca Fans