10 - Lionel Messi - v5

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Was he even getting paid?

Working for free. They've yet to pay Tata too.

Money and influence/power started disappearing from AFA after Julio Grondona's death. Wouldn't be surprised if they magically recoup some soon though. You know how it works.

F

FlaFCB

Messi said he was just venting, that the swearing wasn't directed to the ref.
[tw]847175216849735680[/tw]

I've seen him, and also other players, do this a lot... I wonder if this will start to be punished all the time :lol:

Leo should've put his mouth over his hand when he said it to ref then he wouldn't have got banned, as no one would've seen it. I've see Leo talk to players normally with his hand over his mouth a lot after games, even Lucho does it.

[tw]846800940837560321[/tw]

Beausejour also insulted the ref, but fifa don't care he didn't go to the best gala. This was a political decision.

Yannik

Maybe he DID actually say it in the air, problem is that he was looking the linesman in the eyes or at his face when said it and that's not really helping his cause. However, I think Argentina will refute the ban and reduce it eventually to 2 or 3 matches

JerseyAddict

I also think it will get reduced to 2 games... this would be "Pandoras box" if it gets thrue with 4 games. After each game you could get 4-5 players suspended for swearing... and in meantime someone plays with hand to stop the ball come into the goal and gets less or max the same.

MIXA

I hope Messi's ban does not get reduced purely because I would now like to sit back and watch FIFA try to juggle the infinite level of cases that is now going to head their way because of this stupid decision.

I think that it is going to be quite comical in nature. Imagine a player swearing at an official in a world cup semi-final. Now imagine that player also has a high profile in the sport but is not in FIFA's bad books, i.e. Ronaldo, Pogba, Griezmann etc. Are they going to ban them from the final just because they said a bad word?

Ha ha, the public will absolutely hate on FIFA for this stupid rule and they will hate them even more if it spoils the main event.

FIFA have dug a deep hole for themselves and I'm going to enjoy watching them desperately trying to scramble out of it.

El Flaco

Yesterday, Maradona made an interview for La Oral Deportiva and here's the full comment of his comment on Messi

“The sanction to Lio (Messi) is exagerated. In American football, they talk with their hands in front of their mouths. What happened with Messi and the linesman was seen. Messi’s absence was key. It’s like taking Cristiano out of Portugal… It’s a team that can be beat. With Messi, it’s one thing and without him it’s another. Lionel will go through two and gives it his all. It hurts me when they say that I had an influence in Messi getting suspended for four matches. I swear to God I knew nothing. I started to investigate and Messi’s sanction started in CONMEBOL. I’m going to talk to Inantino because it’s terrible.”

“Four matches for Messi is a lot and while the words were harsh, for me, it looks like it can be changed. Those who say I had something to do with Messi’s four game suspension were part of Tintelli's group of people. It’s easier to speak with Mauricio Marci (Argentina president) than with Messi. I’ve called Messi a lot of times to talk but never got a response back. Messi’s a great guy who doesn’t complain about anything, trains… He’s like a teddy bear with his team mates.”

“I think Messi’s words were in the heat of the moment. I compare it to the headbutt by Zidane to Materazzi. Without Messi, Argentina’s qualification to the World Cup is very complicated. To those who say I had something to do with Messi getting the four game suspension, I want to clarify that I will speak to Infantino.”

http://www.mundoalbiceleste.com/2017/03/29/diego-maradona-four-matches-messi-lot/

dakt

Maradona is a barking dog. Not sure why people take him seriously. He spilled his dignity during his career as a footballer and now he's on the throne judging others. Especially when that other is Lionel Messi, a better player then he ever was.

behindbrowneyes

Thing with Messi in big games is that all know how to stop him which is basically preventing that he gets the ball. So they "mass" always 2, 3 players around him. Even if he receives the ball and sidesteps the first opponent are there always one or two others. Difficult to shine under these circumstances. This gives Neymar and Rafinha lots of room, but makes Leo looking lost sometimes.

raskolnikov

Have to say though that a part of it is his lack of off the bal movement. Its easier to close him down when he is just standing there waiting for the pass. Its why he is more invisible in big games at times than before.

BusiTheKing

Have to say though that a part of it is his lack of off the bal movement. Its easier to close him down when he is just standing there waiting for the pass. Its why he is more invisible in big games at times than before.

Agree. Heavy marking on Messi is not something new. His new hobby is making it way harder for himself than it has to be.

Home of Barca Fans