10 - Lionel Messi - v5

Mitchell1978

11/12 & 12/13 Messi level is impossible to reach. He also didn’t have to play as deep as often as he does now and was much more focussed on making things happen in the final third. He is also seeing less of the ball than in those seasons because the team around him is not as adept at keeping it.

As far as the dribbling goes, I think he dribbles more effectively now albeit not as flashy. The acceleration is still there too but he’s lost a few steps in terms of outright pace.

Stats show this was his most efficient dribbling season in La Liga of his career so it confirms what you say.

11/12 and 12/13 were his best goalscoring seasons, 11/12 the most prolific and 12/13 the most consistent and efficient

14/15 and also 10/11 were more balanced in terms of goalscoring and playmaking/creating.
14/15 for me was his most complete season

This season was maybe slightly below those 4 seasons but he never had to shoulder so much of the creative and the goalscoring load on his own and he absolutely delivered.

Last edited:

UEFA_Barça_Chris

o Fenômeno
His passing was just as good in 10/11 and 11/12, and he would attempt more difficult ground through passes. He has better movement, dribbling, acceleration, attitude etc
He was just better. Granted he can't showcase his through passing ability as much now, but his passing is still a step below 14/15 in terms of accuracy, let alone 10/11 and 11/12.

He was creating a lot of chances in those seasons too, I just don't agree that he somehow is better at chance creation now. To me, if anything he has mostly lost qualities, not gained. The one thing he is better at is free kicks. Still the best player in the world obviously.

11/12 & 12/13 Messi level is impossible to reach. He also didn’t have to play as deep as often as he does now and was much more focussed on making things happen in the final third. He is also seeing less of the ball than in those seasons because the team around him is not as adept at keeping it.

As far as the dribbling goes, I think he dribbles more effectively now albeit not as flashy. The acceleration is still there too but he’s lost a few steps in terms of outright pace.

But why do you think he has to drop deep nowadays? Also what makes his passing less accurate now then the 14/15? He's nearing 31 so we can get the obvious out the way with speed and energy, but Messi himself has admitted he's in a different role. Plus, the amount of responsibility he has to do this 17/18 than the previous seasons in his career is astounding. He may have not showed up all the time this season, but taking Messi out the line up shows how naked Barcelona really is. So is Messi really declining or is he just dealing with the squad he has now?

Sorin

Yep. I think the same. The most important aspect is that he worked harder then as he was more hungry for success. That's the main aspect. And the physical decline of course.

Those are valid points, however one important aspect is also the team around him. The players can't advance the ball without Messi babysitting them to save their lives. It's a huge difference having service from peak Xavi, Iniesta and Alves to being supplied by the likes of Rakitic and Paulinho. Also, don't think the work harder applies to the Messi of post 2010. He was walking just as much in 2011 as he walks now. It's a lot more tiring having to do the work of 2 or 3 players instead of focusing on 1 job. Plus the level of chemistry that team had, meant everyone worked, pressed moved in total harmony.

What I'm saying is that it's a lot more complex than saying that he's a lesser player now, which he is btw. But the difference is not as big as some are making it. Just that the circumstances are so different, Messi also had to change his approach as a result.

ThwiX

Best midfielder around
Jesus. STFU. And that goes to every annoying prick that will fill up this thread with shit posts after the final.

Barca83

Banned
So one more CL title will somehow make CR7 the Goat.

Yeah Okay. :VdB:

It will for most people who don't follow them closely enough to know better, just like how most people who don't watch Barcelona every week still think Suarez is one of the best players in the world

xXKonan

It will for most people who don't follow them closely enough to know better, just like how most people who don't watch Barcelona every week still think Suarez is one of the best players in the world
Sometimes you just have to ignore them.

I mean some of those guys who think that are likely butthurt United fans who are desperate for Real to win because of CR7. The same guys who think we only beat them in the 2009 and 11 Cl finals because we doped.

I know because a buddy of mine is United fan and he only became a Madrid fan because of CR7. And I have to listen to him constantly talk about CR7 in the Whatsapp group because United haven't done shit in ages now. :lol:

Home of Barca Fans