10 - Lionel Messi - v5

Messi983

If someone gets injured during wc can they call-up replacement?

No.

A provisional list of 35 players per national team was submitted to FIFA by 14 May 2018, one month prior to the opening match of the tournament.[2] The final list of 23 players per national team will be submitted to FIFA by 4 June 2018, 10 days prior to the opening match of the tournament.[2] Teams are permitted to make late replacements in the event of serious injury, at any time up to 24 hours before their first game.[1]

footyfan

Calma, calma
2014 wc defeat
2015 treble
2016 domestic double- cl defeat
2017 - tragedy
2018 cl shameful exit despite playing best football he ever played. Wc? Kinda feel his determination but i dont think that would be enough. But, it would be an epic shit if they somehow manage to win it

Best football he ever played? Come on. He was clearly better 09-13.

behindbrowneyes

Best football he ever played? Come on. He was clearly better 09-13.

Wouldn't compare it as Messi has invented himself many times. One can't rate this season high enough. Messi has won the golden boot by playing as a fucking midfielder. If you look at his heat map and then compare it with Salah and CR you will realize it is more unbelievable and highly commendable. Created nearly one hundred chances, had 12 assists and hit the post like 17 times. He really had an incredible season.

serghei

This Messi is a level bellow 2011 Messi. That was a different beast in terms of raw power, acceleration, pace, 1 vs 1 take on ability.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
This Messi is a level bellow 2011 Messi. That was a different beast in terms of raw power, acceleration, pace, 1 vs 1 take on ability.

I wouldn't say below, it is just a different Messi. Today's Messi is more geared toward creating chances for others than a younger Messi who would just dribble, run and score (there is nothing wrong with it). Different priorities. Just like Ronaldo, he has changed his game too as he ages.

footyfan

Calma, calma
His passing was just as good in 10/11 and 11/12, and he would attempt more difficult ground through passes. He has better movement, dribbling, acceleration, attitude etc
He was just better. Granted he can't showcase his through passing ability as much now, but his passing is still a step below 14/15 in terms of accuracy, let alone 10/11 and 11/12.

He was creating a lot of chances in those seasons too, I just don't agree that he somehow is better at chance creation now. To me, if anything he has mostly lost qualities, not gained. The one thing he is better at is free kicks. Still the best player in the world obviously.

Last edited:
M

MessiCam

His passing was just as good in 10/11 and 11/12, and he would attempt more difficult ground through passes. He has better movement, dribbling, acceleration, attitude etc
He was just better. Granted he can't showcase his through passing ability as much now, but his passing is still a step below 14/15 in terms of accuracy, let alone 10/11 and 11/12.

He was creating a lot of chances in those seasons too, I just don't agree that he somehow is better at chance creation now. To me, if anything he has mostly lost qualities, not gained. The one thing he is better at is free kicks. Still the best player in the world obviously.
11/12 & 12/13 Messi level is impossible to reach. He also didn’t have to play as deep as often as he does now and was much more focussed on making things happen in the final third. He is also seeing less of the ball than in those seasons because the team around him is not as adept at keeping it.

As far as the dribbling goes, I think he dribbles more effectively now albeit not as flashy. The acceleration is still there too but he’s lost a few steps in terms of outright pace.

serghei

Yep. I think the same. The most important aspect is that he worked harder then as he was more hungry for success. That's the main aspect. And the physical decline of course.

Stoichkov1

You have to take into consideration that Messi plays for a worse team now.

Home of Barca Fans