10 - Lionel Messi - v5

Barca83

Banned
If they get to knockouts they play against 5 man world-class midfield Spain using themselves a midfield of Banega - Mascherano, I just feel bad for Messi already..

So Spain's midfield of Busquets/Koke/Iniesta is world class, but when Messi plays with an equally good midfield of Busquets/Rakitic/Iniesta at Barcelona this forum is filled with people saying that it's impossible for Messi to play well because the midfield is crap?

clemente

So Spain's midfield of Busquets/Koke/Iniesta is world class, but when Messi plays with an equally good midfield of Busquets/Rakitic/Iniesta at Barcelona this forum is filled with people saying that it's impossible for Messi to play well because the midfield is crap?

Lmfao, what a stupid comment.
1. We play 4-4-2, which doesn't provide Messi as much.
2. Its not Busquets/Koke/Iniesta, its more like Busquets/Isco/Thiago which is literally a different level to what midfield we have right now.
3. Rakitic in 4-3-3 is horrible compared to Isco/Thiago/Mata/Koke.
4. You are implying that taking out 1 player out of 3 doesn't change anything. Difference between Iniesta/Busi/Raki and Iniesta/Busi/Thiago would be like day and night.

sickstar

Busquets-Rakitic-Iniesta are indeed world class, with Iniesta having a limitation at stamina lately (no need to defend that).

That's why I said it's not a matter of quality.. at least the main squad. Just occasional mistakes. Sadly, one of them proved just at the worst timing (no need to mention). Another problem is that besides those three, we don't have players good enough to make an equal substitute. Paulinho (good before injury), Gomez, Vidal, Denis.. just not enough. In the case of CL this season, no Cou and Dembele,... still too young to get a burden that big. Compare with Madrid midfield (kroos,modric,isco,kovacic,casemiro,asensio etc).

That's why next season we should be better with Cou and hopefully Arthur around, and more mature Dembele.

Last edited:
in midfield & defense

Argentina needs players able to cover all the place the whole 90 minutes just to cover their lack of quality

in the midfield they dont have the likes of riquelme & veron players who capable of controling the game

just play like portugal & wait for a good group results & a miracle by messi

Barca83

Banned
Player for player, the only teams with better squads than Argentina imo are Brazil, Spain, Germany, France, and Belgium.

I think a lot of the squads in general seem poor because of how good the top club sides are; for instance Brazil are considered favorites by many yet will probably be starting Paulinho, Willian, and Jesus, none of whom are first choice at club level.

Givenchy

Argentina do nothing to help themselves tbh. not taking Icardi, even if a bench option, is quite simply shocking. there must be some agenda against him from the higher ups, he was level top scorer in the same league Higuain's choking ass played in at a less dominant club to boot.

Messi will need to channel his inner Maradona to reach even the quarters with this team

Barca83

Banned
do you guys think Leo could be even better next season despite being a year older? Some reasons I thought of earlier for why he might

1. Playing as a false 9 again: we all saw how good he was at the start of the season as a false 9 before Valverde switched to 442 permanently. If he plays as a there for all next season, that should help him quite a bit

2. Better players around him: Coutinho, a fit Dembele, plus any new signings

3. No World Cup to rest for

4. More luck: he hit the post 15+ times in the league I believe. With a bit more luck next season, his goalscoring numbers should be even better

M

MessiCam

do you guys think Leo could be even better next season despite being a year older? Some reasons I thought of earlier for why he might

1. Playing as a false 9 again: we all saw how good he was at the start of the season as a false 9 before Valverde switched to 442 permanently. If he plays as a there for all next season, that should help him quite a bit

2. Better players around him: Coutinho, a fit Dembele, plus any new signings

3. No World Cup to rest for

4. More luck: he hit the post 15+ times in the league I believe. With a bit more luck next season, his goalscoring numbers should be even better
I think Messi had his best season since 2014/15 and prior to that 2012/13.

If they get the necessary reinforcements and Messi plays False 9 I see no reason why he can’t tear the world a new one. His dribbling may not be as flashy but it is more effective and he still has that acceleration required in tight spaces. It also gets him out of the way defensively and Barça are a better team when he is there.

This all depends on Suárez though. He’s become a hinderance tactically but few want to admit that because they’re of the opinion that Messi plays best with a 9 ahead of him. It’s all bullshit because he plays some of his best with ball playing wingers either side of him.

That said...

It will never happen though, due to his defensive output, but I’d like to see RW Messi for one last time. Not RW Messi that drifts centrally but RW Messi that only cuts in the final third. Still the best version of Messi in my opinion.

MagIX

except maradona didn't have such a shit argentine squad when he supposedly did it all on his own

He did not win the WC alone, on his own, but his influence was incredibly decisive not only in level of goals and assists
(14 goals Argentina, 5 goals and 5 assists); he had fantastic performances and fantastic goals, especially in 1/4 final ans 1/2 final.
But he was not only a exceptional player, he was a leader, a motivator.
I don't know if there has ever been such a determined player in a world cup.

It's true that his team wasn't such a poor team as many say (argentinian golden generation, 84/85/86 argentinian teams won the copa libertatores).

Maradona has become a legend also because:
Falklands War - 4 years before Argentina had been humiliated by England ... it was like a revenge ... a tense atmosphere., there were clashes in the stands ....

..a tense atmosphere...and watch Maradona's hate looks and Pumpido's looks towards the British min. 1.04 (sorry, quality of video not good, I can't find a better one)

FCBfan22

Mateo approves his father's performances this season.

giphy.gif

Home of Barca Fans