10 - Lionel Messi - v5

bismp

Well,he shouldn't hold back for the WC...He has more chances to win the treble with Barca than the WC with Argentina.He has had 3 really mediocre/shit CL knockout runs the past 4 years.This will leave a big mark on his legacy if he keeps not giving a fuck/being exhausted/saving himself.

It's now or never for him.Give everything you've got,win the CL and/or the WC and you can basically retire the next day...

M

MessiCam

It isnt exactly how he has played and his movement has been better in past and he has also held position more in the past.

So you are saying it is way he has always played but never seen him make 90 passes? Cant have it both ways.
Because you’re not listening. Messi was never renowned for his off ball movement. He dropped deep to collect and drive at defences or to pick a pass but this 10 role he is playing in this 4-2-3-1 sees him do much more midfield work.

Messi has also always dropped deep and drifted from flank to flank. But he is not the type of player to run into spaces. He is the type that draws players in to open spaces for others.

How Messi’s lack of running off the ball or into space has suddenly become a thing is amazing because he’s just never done it.

JamDav1982

Because you’re not listening. Messi was never renowned for his off ball movement. He dropped deep to collect and drive at defences or to pick a pass but this 10 role he is playing in this 4-2-3-1 sees him do much more midfield work.

Messi has also always dropped deep and drifted from flank to flank. But he is not the type of player to run into spaces. He is the type that draws players in to open spaces for others.

How Messi’s lack of running off the ball or into space has suddenly become a thing is amazing because he’s just never done it.

No you are not listening and never claimed Messi was 'renowned for his off the ball movement'.

But he has not always played where his movement has been so little at times and slowly trotting into areas opposition expect him to be in and get ready to have ten men ahead of him when does.

You are not getting what people are saying.

He can hold a position more.... as has in past, can move into space more...as has in past and can have be less predictable as to where will pick it up.

There is no way the 2015 Barca team would operate with Messi playing like this.

If he wants to drop deep as much to get on ball needs to try and control the tempo more not get ball and look to split defence with a pass or a dribble so often.

Last edited:

serghei

Yea he did. He just declined a lot in this area. He couldn't have been a false 9 if he didn't run into space. Older Messi asks ball to feet more often (and the issue is he leaves the burden of the pass almost exclusively to the passer, not moving enough to lessen it), prime Messi moved between the lines faster and more often.

Last edited:
He started the season off really well and scored most of his goals in a one-two month span, not having an international tournament in the summer may have had a hand in that, but since then I feel he's been very mediocre by his standards. He doesn't seem right physically nor mentally.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Yea he did. He just declined a lot in this area. He couldn't have been a false 9 if he didn't run into space. Older Messi asks ball to feet more often (and the issue is he leaves the burden of the pass almost exclusively to the passer, not moving enough to lessen it), prime Messi moved between the lines faster and more often.

And even if he didn't do it, it doesn't mean he should never do it.

Messi has to evolve to get the best out of the team too.

Messi moving would make the opposition move too, draw players out of position and make it easier for his team mates to provide him the ball.

Last edited:

Mitchell1978

He started the season off really well and scored most of his goals in a one-two month span, not having an international tournament in the summer may have had a hand in that, but since then I feel he's been very mediocre by his standards. He doesn't seem right physically nor mentally.

That last part is just nonsense, while it us true he scored more in the beginning of the season he continues being decisive.
I see no indication of him not being right, just the usual negative bullshit.

Why are some of you so negative all the time, first in the league, in the copa final, there's a lot to be content about0

A lof of barca fans just can't help it being negative, probably the thing that bothers me the most here.

FinBarcelonafan

That last part is just nonsense, while it us true he scored more in the beginning of the season he continues being decisive.
I see no indication of him not being right, just the usual negative bullshit.

Why are some of you so negative all the time, first in the league, in the copa final, there's a lot to be content about0

A lof of barca fans just can't help it being negative, probably the thing that bothers me the most here.

I think when I compare his play at the start of the season and now I see big difference. The energy level is certainly different. He just hasn't been as good.

and I love Messi to death. He is my favorite player all time, no question, but his level has certainly dropped last few weeks. I would never say these things If I truly wouldn't believe in them.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Honestly I hope that's just him cooling it down due to the WC instead of him being tired already.

We can live with Messi at 50% in La Liga and Copa 90% of the time and that's fine if he does that to conserve energy.

But we absolutely need him and everyone else at 100% in the CL.

FinBarcelonafan

Honestly I hope that's just him cooling it down due to the WC instead of him being tired already.

We can live with Messi at 50% in La Liga and Copa 90% of the time and that's fine if he does that to conserve energy.

But we absolutely need him and everyone else at 100% in the CL.

I agree and at the same time, I'm sure he will give his all in CL. I remember Sanchez saying this week he saw Messi crying after loss vs Chelsea in 2012. I'm sure he wants to change that and kill Chelsea. HE will bring his A-game. No worries!

M

MessiCam

Here is my initial statement.

e has never really ran into spaces but rather ran at defences with the ball with the view of opening up spaces or collecting the ball to pick a pass. But never ever have I seen him make 90 passes in a game

Through all his career. How often was Messi making a run into the box with the first wave? He often comes in on the second wave and that’s why he receives so many cut backs.

Watch that video I posted of Messi as False 9 against Madrid. Watch how he collects balls from teammates on either flank and jogs and walks away from markers and then watch the afterburners when he is running at defenders.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LolZyIPCrmw&feature=player_embedded

And here he is as a False 9 earlier this season. Where is the difference?

Truthist

And even if he didn't do it, it doesn't mean he should never do it.

Messi has to evolve to get the best out of the team too.

Messi moving would make the opposition move too, draw players out of position and make it easier for his team mates to provide him the ball.

Whilst he has earnt the right to take his foot off the gas on occasions sadly no one has the balls to tell him what we all see.

Stoichkov1

There are some differences though.

1)Messi is older and doesn't have enough stamina for off the ball movement

2)He played with teammates who understood his movements like Xavi, Pedro and Villa. Now he plays with Rakitic or Coutinho or Dembélé. If you notice during matches he sometimes tries to run behind the defence when Rakitic has the ball but more often than not Rakitic doesn't pass the ball

3)We have a striker now which means Messi does less runs in the penalty area.

Home of Barca Fans