10 - Lionel Messi - v5

FCBfan22

True. They'd better provide everything on the LMF and come out clean, otherwise I am afraid this will be the straw that breaks the camel's back and the most damming thing that tarnishes Messi's reputation and his legacy.

And the president of LMF is...

Rodrigo Messi.

I think his brother might have been exploiting the LMF.

Kerrybai

I don't understand "I'm not hypocrite" or "pretending to be disgusted when in reality they would do the same" arguments.
Then why is this a subject at all? If everyone would do it, as you say, then this is not a problem. Iniesta should also do the same. In fact all Barca players should do it. Let the system rot to its core and collapse. And you know what will happen after that? You will be the first one to judge and say "I knew it", it's greed that caused all of that. At the moment you're justifying it because the consequences are not yet certain. As long as we get our dose of football fix, all is well. And when ship will begin to sink - bye, bye Barca, hello PSG.

Yes, I will take the moral high ground and judge the act of greed every time I see one. I will never take a peace with it, nor with any other bad behavior just because it fits the system. "Everyone is doing it" argument is just as dangerous or even more, as the actual act.

Now you will judge me for not accepting the greed and call me a hypocrite. That's the human condition. Total paradox. Let's laugh, lets be cynical. "Visca el Barca".

Not condoning it, just don't believe people are as outraged and disgusted as they are making out. Messi has contributed 10's of millions in taxes to the local economy , im not morally outraged if he cuts a few corners. Its as if people think he hasnt paid any taxes at all like Apple and Google in my own country.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Not condoning it, just don't believe people are as outraged and disgusted as they are making out. Messi has contributed 10's of millions in taxes to the local economy , im not morally outraged if he cuts a few corners. Its as if people think he hasnt paid any taxes at all like Apple and Google in my own country.

Everyone pays taxes and most people don't evade taxes illegally (using legal means such as deductions and other means to lower one's taxable income and therefore reduce one's taxes is not the same), the fact he has paid a lot of taxes is a given (because he makes a lot of money), it shouldn't be used as an excuse for him to come up with schemes to evade taxes.

M

MessiCam

Also the part about our club making donations to the LMF without being taxed. Many people now question is the lmf is a genuine foundation of just a front to help evade taxes.

There is nothing wrong with making donations to a charitable fund or a sports fund which in terms of my countries tax laws are exempt from tax. A problem would arise if said monies were further distributed, wholly or in part, to a tax paying individual without paying the necessary taxes.

Can you say with absolute certainty that the above is the case and if so was Messi a beneficiary of these payments?

M

MessiCam

Everyone pays taxes and most people don't evade taxes illegally (using legal means such as deductions and other means to lower one's taxable income and therefore reduce one's taxes is not the same), the fact he has paid a lot of taxes is a given (because he makes a lot of money), it shouldn't be used as an excuse for him to come up with schemes to evade taxes.
It happens in everyday life where people use living trusts or conduit trusts to move money around through the use of interest free loan accounts and distributions to avoid paying taxes.

Some are being really naive here.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
There is nothing wrong with making donations to a charitable fund or a sports fund which in terms of my countries tax laws are exempt from tax. A problem would arise if said monies were further distributed, wholly or in part, to a tax paying individual without paying the necessary taxes.

Can you say with absolute certainty that the above is the case and if so was Messi a beneficiary of these payments?

Certainly there is nothing wrong for our club to make donations to the LMF if it is a legit foundation which distributes most of what it receives to those who are in need, poor children, whatever. In that case of course those donations should not be taxable. However, the latest revelations seemed to paint a picture that the LMF donations were made as an attempt to pay part of Messi's wages without getting taxed. So right now the LMF needs to come out and show us what they did with the donations, payouts etc. to prove the allegations wrong.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
It happens in everyday life where people use living trusts or conduit trusts to move money around through the use of interest free loan accounts and distributions to avoid paying taxes.

Some are being really naive here.

There is a difference between tax avoidance and tax evasion.

Yeah, let's all break the laws and there is no shame in doing that! Yeah right.

M

MessiCam

There is a difference between tax avoidance and tax evasion.

Yeah, let's all break the laws and there is no shame in doing that! Yeah right.
What I’m talking about is tax avoidance.

1. Start up a trust with huge amounts of money (eg an inheritance) as the founding donation.
2. Transfer all personal assets to said trust.
3. This creates 2 benefits. It keeps creditors away from your assets should you go bankrupt and it creates a credit loan account.
4. Draw no salary but take huge sums of money against your credit loan account to fund your lifestyle without paying a dime of tax.
5. Trust is liable for taxes on interest and income earned.

This is just a basic example. It can get a whole lot more complex.

Last edited:
M

MessiCam

Certainly there is nothing wrong for our club to make donations to the LMF if it is a legit foundation which distributes most of what it receives to those who are in need, poor children, whatever. In that case of course those donations should not be taxable. However, the latest revelations seemed to paint a picture that the LMF donations were made as an attempt to pay part of Messi's wages without getting taxed. So right now the LMF needs to come out and show us what they did with the donations, payouts etc. to prove the allegations wrong.
If this is the case the club is equally culpable because Messi should be taxed on his total earnings prior to a distribution to the LMF being made. It is the clubs fiduciary duty to ensure that the taxable portion of Messi’s earnings makes its way to the tax authorities.

Jägermeister

I only care about his footballing abilities. He, CR150 and any other footballer can evade taxes all they want. Zero fucks given.

Why though? Is it because they are famous so the rules of society and the law should not apply to them? Or do you think it is ok for everybody to do what they do?
Personally, I do care about that because I have a huge aversion for greed/greedy people. Those footballers earn more money than any human could ever need and still find it neccessary to avoid paying their taxes and that pisses me off tbh.

Home of Barca Fans