10 - Lionel Messi - v5

serghei

Sure, but if we're not supposed to care about footballers private lives then we should stop glorifying them all the time as some sort of deity with godly powers and status, but rather just acknowledge them for their exceptional talent on the field.

Exactly. Die hard fans have this tendency to give Messi great human qualities based on his godly football talents. Those are not related in any way.

Neeraj

How do we know this isn't all his father? Messi may just be an ignorant footballer leaving it all to his father, who probably says to him - "Don't worry about all this. I've got this."

I find it difficult to imagine Messi hatching this scheme along with his father. Nothing about his personality suggests he would do so. This could be completely wrong and maybe Messi is a little criminal mastermind - it's not possible to be sure. But I feel the former situation is more likely.

serghei

How do we know this isn't all his father? Messi may just be an ignorant footballer leaving it all to his father, who probably says to him - "Don't worry about all this. I've got this."

I find it difficult to imagine Messi hatching this scheme along with his father. Nothing about his personality suggests he would do so. This could be completely wrong and maybe Messi is a little criminal mastermind - it's not possible to be sure. But I feel the former situation is more likely.

This excuse works for a while, but goes away pretty quickly. It is not reasonable to expect Messi to not be aware of things that directly involve him. His father can be a negative influence, which it is almost surely, but he's a grown man and is responsible for his actions.

FCBfan22

I think if things really get south, it's possible that Jorge will confess that this was all his work (which it probably was), so Leo doesn't get jailed.

Anyway, player's fathers who come from lower class backgrounds shouldn't be their agents, let alone financial advisors.

Neeraj

This excuse works for a while, but goes away pretty quickly. It is not reasonable to expect Messi to not be aware of things that directly involve him. His father can be a negative influence, which it is almost surely, but he's a grown man and is responsible for his actions.

From a legal sense, you're right. Ignorance of the law is not an excuse. I'm only talking about the lens with which we perceive Messi - it's all shades of grey here, and these things change the tone of grey, that's it.

If he broke the law, then there's no excuse to be made for him not knowing about it, because it looks like this isn't the first time this happening either, in Spain.

Either way, this entire thing is so unfortunate. I feel like we gave him everything, and vice versa. Things were perfect. It's so frustrating that such things keep haunting us.

Windhook

Anyway, player's fathers who come from lower class backgrounds shouldn't be their agents, let alone financial advisors.

It's not about that, really. CR7 is also having tax troubles and yet he has the best agent in the world, Jorge Mendes.

Jorge Messi or someone else in the family might have debt problems. Gambling addiction is common among relatives of superstars. Who knows? The fact is Leo is providing for a large family, almost a community in Argentina.

M

MessiCam

Sure, but if we're not supposed to care about footballers private lives then we should stop glorifying them all the time as some sort of deity with godly powers and status, but rather just acknowledge them for their exceptional talent on the field.

And that’s exactly how it should be. Messi’s personal life is of no interest to me. I only care about what he does on the pitch and he’s exceptional at that.

That said, I still don’t see any connection. If he gets a jail sentence for shady dealings that’s on him. I just watch him play.

M

MessiCam

The only wrongdoing in this case is Leo, or his father most likely, insisting the club to compensate them for the 12 million back taxes. The rest of the investigation and article is surely hurtful for Messi's public image, but not illegal stuff. Expect to see some poor performances on the pitch by Leo the near future.

They loaned him the money. He wasn’t compensated for it...

serghei

From a legal sense, you're right. Ignorance of the law is not an excuse. I'm only talking about the lens with which we perceive Messi - it's all shades of grey here, and these things change the tone of grey, that's it.

If he broke the law, then there's no excuse to be made for him not knowing about it, because it looks like this isn't the first time this happening either, in Spain.

Either way, this entire thing is so unfortunate. I feel like we gave him everything, and vice versa. Things were perfect. It's so frustrating that such things keep haunting us.

I perceive him in a negative light myself. His name is all over the scandal. It doesn't matter who advised him or not, he made the call. He started as a very humble and great guy, but his huge fame and power in football have made him worse as a person, as they got to unhealthy levels.

I don't buy this ingnorant, legally-retard Messi who doesn't know what he's doing and is used as a puppet and frontman by his devil family, while he's a genuine good person. He probably knew what he was doing and was ill-advised by his father.

He's no role model for kids out there that's for sure. To be a great role model as a footballer you need to be a great player (which he is), but also a great person and one with many virtues that are worthy to be admired (which he isn't).

Last edited:

FCBfan22

It's not about that, really. CR7 is also having tax troubles and yet he has the best agent in the world, Jorge Mendes.

Jorge Messi or someone else in the family might have debt problems. Gambling addiction is common among relatives of superstars. Who knows? The fact is Leo is providing for a large family, almost a community in Argentina.

Or maybe his brothers are moving arms illegaly. That's how the politicians got rich here in our country during the 90's.

Kerrybai

I dont like the scandal but im not a hypocrite either. Ive cut corners on taxes before and im currently in the process of doing it again. Albeit im not a multimillionaire, but the principles remain the same.

Far too many people taking the moral high ground and pretending to be disgusted when in reality they would do the same. Just my 2 cents.

FinBarcelonafan

I dont like the scandal but im not a hypocrite either. Ive cut corners on taxes before and im currently in the process of doing it again. Albeit im not a multimillionaire, but the principles remain the same.

Far too many people taking the moral high ground and pretending to be disgusted when in reality they would do the same. Just my 2 cents.

True and most of the people would struggle with that much money on their hands. It's not easy to handle hundreds of millions.

dakt

I don't understand "I'm not hypocrite" or "pretending to be disgusted when in reality they would do the same" arguments.
Then why is this a subject at all? If everyone would do it, as you say, then this is not a problem. Iniesta should also do the same. In fact all Barca players should do it. Let the system rot to its core and collapse. And you know what will happen after that? You will be the first one to judge and say "I knew it", it's greed that caused all of that. At the moment you're justifying it because the consequences are not yet certain. As long as we get our dose of football fix, all is well. And when ship will begin to sink - bye, bye Barca, hello PSG.

Yes, I will take the moral high ground and judge the act of greed every time I see one. I will never take a peace with it, nor with any other bad behavior just because it fits the system. "Everyone is doing it" argument is just as dangerous or even more, as the actual act.

Now you will judge me for not accepting the greed and call me a hypocrite. That's the human condition. Total paradox. Let's laugh, lets be cynical. "Visca el Barca".

Home of Barca Fans