10 - Lionel Messi - v5

Barca83

Banned
He needs to take a stand. Too often he seems like an over sheltered teenager who is naive to the real world. I guess being a football super star does that to people. I prefer outspoken stars like Muhammad Ali, Colin Kapernick etc

Messi seems like he doesn't care or isn't too intelligent about these things anyway, didn't he take a few million from some dictator in Africa a few year ago?

Rahj

He needs to take a stand. Too often he seems like an over sheltered teenager who is naive to the real world. I guess being a football super star does that to people. I prefer outspoken stars like Muhammad Ali, Colin Kapernick etc
or maybe, just maybe messi doesn't really have such a deep seated hatred of israel that he would not play against a selection of footballers, who mostly are as unpolitical as himself.

Vilarrubi

or maybe, just maybe messi doesn't really have such a deep seated hatred of israel that he would not play against a selection of footballers, who mostly are as unpolitical as himself.

+1

Judging professional sportsmen and women on their political views is pathetic, even more so getting upset if they don’t agree with your views.

They are there to play sports, anything else off the pitch is irrelevant.

Barcilliant

Anybody who doesn't hate Israel has some real issues.

Politics and Sports are always intertwined.

Messi983

Or maybe looking from Messi's perspective this is the last friendly game for Argentina before the World Cup and as a captain he cares more about his team being prepared for the tournament than sending some political messages.

Rahj

Anybody who doesn't hate Israel has some real issues.

Politics and Sports are always intertwined.

it's strange that you're completely unable to differentiate between the government of israel and the national team. just out of curiosity: what is this country supposed to do when pretty much all neighboring countries want you to be wiped off the map?

@mods: move this convo to another thread i guess?

Kul_z

Oh common, i dont want to read this political nonsense, especially in this thread. Its a football game, last friendly before wc, and even sampaoli slammed afa but not for political reasons, but for the travel distance his team would travel before wc and they wanted to play in barcelona but afa had other plans.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
And BTW Barca are the most political football club in the world. If you don't want politics support Man Utd or Inter.

No we are not. There are many clubs that are much more political than us, for example FC St. Pauli. We didn’t even take an official stand in the latest Catalan independence referendum, how do you expect us to take a stand in other countries?

We are not the world police like the US wielding a moral stick (often a hypocritical one), we are a football club.

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I have to say though, Argentina picked some easy teams to warm up before the WC. What is the use of playing third and four tier teams and winning the games easily? The AFA is really something.

M

MessiCam

I have to say though, Argentina picked some easy teams to warm up before the WC. What is the use of playing third and four tier teams and winning the games easily? The AFA is really something.
Less risk of injury, confidence building, opportunity to try more dynamic ideas in a competitive environment. The list goes on...

Mitchell1978

I don't, i prefer athletes who are fully focused on their sport, who try to maximise their talent. I much prefer people like Michael Jordan ("republicans buy shoes too") too athletes who are borderline sjw's.
Being too outspoken is a distraction at best often a negative because it takes time and energy away from other things even though you might be right.
About your 2 examples Colin Kapernick hasn't played in 2 years and Ali missed a significant part of his prime because of his suspention.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Perhaps Messi should demand Sergi Roberto is sold too as he just married an Israeli Citizen.

Messi is not going to torpedo his lifelong dream for politics. Blame AFA for falling into that trap and taking money to schedule a friendly there that is very important for their WC preparations.

Messi has absolutely nothing to gain from this and the Palestinian FA should understand that too instead of saying they will burn down his jerseys. People on both sides are just fucking retarded these days.

As for using Cristiano Ronaldo as an example:

https://www.timesofisrael.com/ronaldo-attacked-on-twitter-over-israeli-ad/

As for using Muhammad Ali and Colin Kaepernick as examples: They did protest or are protesting against something that is personal to them and their communities. Messi doesn't have anything to do with this. He's just there to prepare for the most important tournament of his life and play a game he didn't schedule, a game even Sampaoli don't want to play by traveling that far, but they will because their own targets and goals > playing world politics when no one will give a damn anyway.

Last edited:

soul24rage

AFA is in a lot of debt right now and they will get 1.4 million if they play against Israel. Blame AFA more than the Argentinian squad. I doubt Messi would have wanted this distraction before the biggest tournament of his life.

Home of Barca Fans