10 - Lionel Messi - v5

Horatio

You're welcome
Decent interview. At least it addresses the mystery of Messi vomiting. Apparently he was gorging shit for food and since he started eating healthier it stopped.

Horatio

You're welcome
He also mentioned how Thiago has taken up an interest on football. Thought he said before Thiago didn't like football that much.

Shreddy

Good interview and especially those quotes.

"Whether I play well or not isn't even about the goals. it's about being participative on the pitch, getting the ball frequently, make good decisions, not lose balls, it's never about making goals. Scoring goals doesn't mean I played well."

"Whether I play well or not isn't even about the goals. it's about being participative on the pitch, getting the ball frequently, make good decisions, not lose balls, it's never about making goals. Scoring goals doesn't mean I played well."

Horatio

You're welcome
Good interview and especially those quotes.

It's so good you had to quote it twice!

Shreddy

It's so good you had to quote it twice!
The GOAT always deserves more hahahahaha.

Anyway i also meant this quote

"There have been times I've scored goals and played poorly. But goals cover everything up. Playing well is not about scoring goals. "

T

TS88

Some say that they are not comparable because of their different playing style and playing positions. Legendary footballers will never say who is better because they want to be politically correct; like Pele who once said Ronaldo and then Messi. Ferdinand know's Messi is better than Ronaldo but of course he will never admit it for obvious reasons. Messi is the only player to embarrass both Ferdinand and Vidic. I remember when Messi nutmegged Vidic in the 2011 champions league final and made him look foolish, only time I have seen Vidic totally outplayed but back to Messi-Ronaldo talk.

But can CR7 dribble past 6 players and put the ball in the net?

Can he create chances as Messi does?

Can he provide assists or passes like Messi?

He is a great goalscorer who can score goals when he is fed. But he is not capable of scoring goals with individual brilliancy on a consistent basis like Leo.

Ronaldo has some better attributes like heading, physique, use of both feet but Messi has more impact over the game as he comes deep in the midfield and takes the ball that Ronaldo rarely does. Messi’s vision, passing and assists are legendary and he might just be the best passer of the ball ever too. Messi is a much more complete footballer than Ronaldo, its not comparable.

I dont believe in sayings like ‘Both are great players; just enjoy them’, or ‘they are not comparable’. Both are great players but know the truth - Messi is better than Ronaldo by a distance but respect both.

Last edited:

MessiTBE

Banned
It's clear Ronaldo didn't try hard at beginning of season because he knew he already won the ballon dor. Now in 2018, look how hard he tries.

He does not care about anyone else but himself, only personal glory. He wants ballon dor more than anything.

FCBfan22

It's clear Ronaldo didn't try hard at beginning of season because he knew he already won the ballon dor. Now in 2018, look how hard he tries.

He does not care about anyone else but himself, only personal glory. He wants ballon dor more than anything.

Ronaldo won't win BDO, unless he wins CL or World Cup (the latter is very unlikely with sgt. Decoy Meme Gomes in his midfield).
Messi is currently still ahead of him with domestic double almost secured.

To win BDO, you need to be the best player in a winning side, which Real currently aren't.

kobby

Ronaldo won't win BDO, unless he wins CL or World Cup (the latter is very unlikely with sgt. Decoy Meme Gomes in his midfield).
Messi is currently still ahead of him with domestic double almost secured.

To win BDO, you need to be the best player in a winning side, which Real currently aren't.

Real Madrid is still favourites to win the CL. If that happens, Messi will have to win the World Cup or else Ronaldo will in fact win the BD and probably Pichichi. Disgusting!

FCBfan22

Real Madrid is still favourites to win the CL. If that happens, Messi will have to win the World Cup or else Ronaldo will in fact win the BD and probably Pichichi. Disgusting!

It's the World Cup year this year. If a player of the winning team goes and plays incredibly, CL isn't enough to win BdO.

Also Real favourites? No. They have around 20% chance of winning it as of now. Same as I would say for us, City and Bayern (the other 20% goes to other teams). They have atrocious defence this year in all competitions and that can be costly, especially in the CL. I believe that over 2 legs, we or City would beat them in the SF.

El Flaco

Translated quotes of Messis interview with America TV

On Thinking About The World Cup

I visualize being in Moscow on July 15, playing in the final, winning it and raising the trophy. That is my dream. Every time I get to a World Cup it gets stronger. That's why I cried in 2014, because we know how hard it was to get there and come so close. It was heartbreaking

I have seen all over the world that there are many that want this to be a great World Cup for me. They want to see me win the World Cup. All over the world they are looking to see Argentina become world champion.

Right now I leave all those pressures aside and know in my head that the World Cup is right around the corner and it will come quickly. But right now I am competing for big things in Barcelona. That has me focus on the moment, not in June.

On the National Team, The Past, and the Press

This group that has been playing feels like this could be our last World Cup. It's also what people have made us feel. For many having gotten to three straight finals is worthless. We, unfortunately, depend on results.

We will probably have no choice but to leave Argentina. That's the overall message that this group is giving.

It's also like telling the critics that they are right. At the same time they will ask for us all to leave if we don't win. They did that before. This is something that was sold by sports journalists throughout Argentina and the people bought it.

There is a very small group of journalists that think that way. What they have asked for and badmouthed several players on Argentina, but at the same time, it's what we feel. Altho I wish things go well and we enjoy being on the national team.

I ignore the insults, I know it's part of the game. I just try to ignore it, but I admit there was a time where the criticism did affect me. But I was able to thicken my skin through the years.

I did get upset when (journalists) said things that were totally inappropriate. Things that had nothing to do with football. People can opine about what happens on the pitch, if I play well or not. They started to get into our private lives and things that weren't true

They just didn't say things about (Lavezzi) but about a whole bunch of others, and that was upsetting. That and the fact that they want to tell people those lies are true.

People can criticize whether I play good or bad, hell, I'm the first one to say it.

On Family Life and His Attitude as a Player

Playing with my kids is the thing that distracts me that most. Being with my kids, my wife. When my first kid arrived, that changed my mindset. I stopped focusing on just my career. I still don't like losing or drawing, but I take it differently now.

One now realizes that there are other things in life outside of football.

I got used to the adulation. The key for me was to continue being myself. Be natural. You also have to be a little self-conscious at times because you have to know what you are doing because people are constantly filming you.

I don't have a psychologist. I always talk to the people closest to me - my wife, my father, my mother. You know, the people that have always been there for me.

I am conscious that whatever I say does have repercussions and can be interpreted in various ways. That's why I avoid getting into problems. I try to be careful with what I say, to prevent there from being any type of confusion.

On His Kids and the Last Time He Cried

I've cried several times in finals we've lost because of what it meant, because we came so close. To have believed that we deserved it and not being able to make the dream of an entire country come true.

The last time I cried for joy and when my second son, Mateo, was born. I was there when the first, Thiago, was born and that was a very complicated situation. Not everything went as planned. Mateo's birth was easier, we were more experienced by then.

I was overflowing with joy when I was told about my new baby [his third son, Ciro], but now having two other ones I was more accustomed to how things went.

On Retirement

I don't know what I am going to do when I retire yet. I've been told it is very difficult, I imagine that will be the case because you begin to worry about not having the routine that you have established already- the games, the practices, the travel...

I honestly haven't thought of what I will do or where I will be when the time comes. I would like to be able to do the things I have not been able to do because of my profession. My everyday life doesn't allow me to do certain things. I'm not sure if it will be in Barcelona or Rosario

On the State of Life in Argentina Now

I suffer seeing Argentina the way it is. There is a reality that surrounds the country. There is insecurity, especially the insecurity. I look to someday go back to live and enjoy my city, Rosario, like I was unable to as a kid because I had to move here...

I don't regret doing that. I am worried about the lack of safety in Argentina. The fact that they will kill you for a watch or a bike, a motorcycle. Burglaries happen everywhere, but to go outside or have to be looking over your shoulder to prevent from being robbed or even have something worse happen is crazy.

There are many other problems plaguing Argentina, but that is one of the biggest ones. The inability to live in peace. To be able to go out with friends. To be out in the street, like I was able to back in the day. It seem like it is impossible for it to be like that again

I remember when I was a kid that during summer vacation I used to go out and would not come back until 9pm. it was like that all over Argentina. Now that is impossible (for kids) to do.

It's difficult but we can do it. When things got tough for us Argentines, we've united and have been able to achieve great things. I hope that (battling crime) is something we can achieve.

On His Sons and Football

I hope all three of my boys play football, but I won't push them. I know for sure that Tiago really loves to play football. He's currently going to the school that Barca have set up for the players' kids.

They never ask me why I point to the sky after goals. They just started doing it one day. They just do it because they saw me do it. [Messi does this because he dedicates all his goals to his grandmother who passed away before he became a professional.]

I always have my grandmother Celia in my thoughts. That is my gratitude towards her. Not just her, it's gratitude towards God for all that he has given me. Not just what he gave me through football, but I a blessed in life. But I always remember Celia at that moment.

On Playing and How His Game Has Changed Over the Years

Whether I play well or not isn't even about the goals. it's about being participative on the pitch, getting the ball frequently, make good decisions, not lose balls, it's never about making goals. Scoring goals doesn't mean I played well.

There have been times I've scored goals and played poorly. But goals cover everything up. Playing well is not about scoring goals.

I try to be less 'egotistical'. Inside the box, I look for the best option possible. I try to move the team around from another position. I still continue to run the way I always have, just doing it in another manner.

On Changing His Diet

I don't know what food made me vomit, but I just had so many things in my stomach back then. It was because of my poor nutrition for so many years. When I was 22,23 I could eat just about anything. I used to scarf down chocolate, alfajores, soda, everything.

Now I eat better. I eat salad, meat, fish, greens. I honestly eat almost everything, but in an orderly fashion. If I have to drink a glass of wine, I'll drink one.

There are moments where you are restricted, but you will have a moment where you are allowed to have a treat here and there.

By changing my nutrition, I noticed a significant change, especially with the vomiting. There were many things said about what might have been But what happened is that I adjusted my nutrition and it never happened again.

On His Hormone Treatments as a Boy

[Messi was born with human growth hormone deficiency, which means that he could not grow or develop normally without injections of exogenous hormones. He took the treatment until he finished puberty and was the reason he moved to Barcelona, as the club offered the pay for the treatments his family could not afford.]

Every night I used inject myself in the leg. Would inject myself in one leg and then on the other the next night. I was doing that at 11, 12, years old. My mother and father used to inject me until I learned how to do it. It was very small, it was like a pencil. I would go put in the dose I needed and would inject myself. It didn't hurt me and to me it became a routine.

On Moving to Barcelona

The fact that I came to Barcelona wasn't that difficult for me, I adapted quickly. My siblings, they were older and they wanted to go back. they did shortly thereafter. My sister, she's the youngest, had a hard time adapting. It cost her a great deal.

My parents made the decision that my mother would return to Argentina with my sister so she could go to school and go back to her normal life.

I stayed with my father and he asked me, 'what do we do? You have the final say. Whatever you want to do, I'll do it'. I told him, 'No. I am staying.' I was at Barca and I knew it was going to be difficult but I saw the chance was real.

[tw]975561386062499840[/tw]

https://medium.com/@JuanG_Arango/lionel-messi-scoring-goals-doesnt-mean-i-played-well-398a3e36983c

kobby

It's the World Cup year this year. If a player of the winning team goes and plays incredibly, CL isn't enough to win BdO.

Also Real favourites? No. They have around 20% chance of winning it as of now. Same as I would say for us, City and Bayern (the other 20% goes to other teams). They have atrocious defence this year in all competitions and that can be costly, especially in the CL. I believe that over 2 legs, we or City would beat them in the SF.

Messi and Ronaldo are always favourites for the BD, irrespective of what happens at the World cup. They've won it at the last two editions (2010 and 2014) without either of them winning the World Cup. Heck, in 2014, Ronaldo won it without even making it out of the group stages of the World Cup. You can never write either of them off. The only player who can come close to challenging either of them is Neymar. And considering his shambolic CL performance this season, he has to put up one heck of a World Cup performance. The BD is essentially a popularity contest and Messi & Ronaldo are the most popular. If City wins the CL and Belgium wins the World Cup, I'll still tip both Messi & Ronaldo ahead of Kevin De Bruyne---he's simply not as popular enough.

Trust me, if Ronaldo wins the CL and Pichichi, only a Messi winning the WC will prevent CR7 from winning the BD. Unfair but true. You think the captain of Vanuatu watches La Liga weekly like you do? We watch a lot more games than the captains and journalists who vote. They only see highlight reels and those reels will show Ronaldo "leading" RM to a 3rd consecutive CL title.

About the chances, I'll say RM is favourite simply based on their mental strength in the competition. Their form was even worse than this season's when they won it in 2014 and 2016. Overcoming PSG was a massive boost in their confidence. Plus, annoyingly, their "cross and hope" tactics seem to work in Europe. Baffling but true. Zidane's luck is ridiculous!

Home of Barca Fans