10 - Lionel Messi - v5

kilian

Suarez runs into space, that`s why he gets the ball more in dangerous spaces. I don`t get some of you people. Does anyone really believe that Valverde instructs his best player and finisher to be further from the goal? He loves to play between lines, but sometimes he is just too lazy to move into free space. We all see that and we all know that. It`s not always someone else fault.

Hope to see his best version against Chelsea. Otherwise we could end our CL campaign very early.

M

MessiCam

Suarez runs into space, that`s why he gets the ball more in dangerous spaces. I don`t get some of you people. Does anyone really believe that Valverde instructs his best player and finisher to be further from the goal? He loves to play between lines, but sometimes he is just too lazy to move into free space. We all see that and we all know that. It`s not always someone else fault.

Hope to see his best version against Chelsea. Otherwise we could end our CL campaign very early.

Playing between the lines is completely different than playing as a midfielder occasionally attacking.

And no it’s not because Suarez runs into space... It’s that the team is setup for him and has been for a while. Messi has become his skeevy.

Messi show up in the Champions League? That’s Suarez job now...

Stoichkov1

Playing between the lines is completely different than playing as a midfielder occasionally attacking.

And no it’s not because Suarez runs into space... It’s that the team is setup for him and has been for a while. Messi has become his skeevy.

Nope the team is clearly setup for Messi. As soon as he gets the ball Jordi Alba, Suarez and Roberto make runs behind the defence waiting for Messi's balls.

Messi doesn't run into space as often as he used to be because he's not playing false 9 anymore and he has a striker in front of him. He's been playing like that since 2015 when he moved to RW, the difference is that this year Neymar isn't there anymore so Messi has to create more.

Mitchell1978

He’s been Bilbao’d. Barça have a new star player... Luis Suarez. Focal point.

While i see your point and definitely agree that the way the team is set-up right now isn't how thing should be you over exagerate this point because untill late january there was few alternatives with no Coutinho and no Dembele so it made sense to play Suarez. And Messi is more or less playing in a similar position as the previous 2 season where he was playing as more of an AM behind Suarez then as a RW or a forward. But now that everybody is fit, we should be playing Messi much higher up the field (false 9 more or less) with Coutinho and Dembele on the wing positions, Suarez can be an alternative for one of the 3 when a different tactical system is necessary though i'm afraid Valverde is to conservative and lacks the necessary imagination.

M

MessiCam

Messi is not playing in a similar position to last year. I wish that were true...

He is playing way too deep and has been for a while. I made this point a while back...

That people still assume the side is set up for Messi is beyond me. He is putting in an inordinate amount of shifts in midfield. Sometimes even Rakitic plays higher than Messi. This is Suarez’ Barcelona now. Everything centres around getting the ball to him in the final third.

Last edited:

kilian

:lol:

No.

Pedro

La Masia
CR7 has 26 goals now this season, just one behind Leo's tally...this isnt good for Leo in the race for the Ballon D'or, CR7 is getting into top form, while Messi is going out of form at the crucial part of the season...

Mitchell1978

CR7 has 26 goals now this season, just one behind Leo's tally...this isnt good for Leo in the race for the Ballon D'or, CR7 is getting into top form, while Messi is going out of form at the crucial part of the season...

It hardly matters, last year Messi had 12 more goals in la liga and 12 more goals overall but it was the trophies that mattered for most, so it doesn't really matter that is clear.

BusiTheKing

His role has changed significantly since the start of the season. He was much more of an attacker after the summer but seems to have strayed back into his midfield role as in the past couple of seasons.

I strongly believe that our actual midfielders play much better when he doesn't drop down and take charge of the creative duties. They become disillusioned and lose confidence in their roles and stop taking responsibility. The negative effect on their creative contribution is of course compounded by the fact that they don't have Messi to play to in good positions.

Altomonte

How many times has Messi hit the woodwork this season? Another one against Eibar. His finishing against Eibar was really off, he should have scored 3 goals. Let's hope he rediscovers his finishing quality against Chelsea.

Last edited:

JerseyAddict

he has somewhere around 14 in the league I think

You are correct.

According to Opta, that marked the 14th time Messi has hit a post or the crossbar -- the most of any player in one La Liga season since records became available starting in 2003-04.

https://twitter.com/OptaJose/status/964923151607107584/photo/1

Home of Barca Fans