10 - Lionel Messi - v5

BerkeleyBernie

It doesn't help that he has to directly link up with Suarez who's link up play is below standard. Any return pass is at best over hit or puts Messi out of sync.

It's rare that Suarez plays a decent wall pass. His most prominent deficiency in Barça style play. At least his offside runs don't ruin as many good build-ups.

BerkeleyBernie

To my surprise, my impression has been that Messi is far more mobile this year than in the last few- more pressing, more showing for the ball. His "walking fence post" persona felt like it was a predictable given in nearly every game in previous years.

CatalinR10

DWCG1oKWAAAKWvc.jpg

ebc_99

Messi is just one player, it's up to the team to perform. The problem for Messi in the Champions League recently is that we have had bad coaches. Tito was sick, Tata was crap and Enrique didn't know what he was doing and got lucky in 2015 that the players clicked, it didn't have much to do with him. Pretty much all the creative responsibility is Messi's as well as the goalscoring and no other player in the world has to do both. I feel his teammates perform and Valverde does his job then Messi is the difference maker but it is still a team sport.

JamDav1982

Messi is just one player, it's up to the team to perform. The problem for Messi in the Champions League recently is that we have had bad coaches. Tito was sick, Tata was crap and Enrique didn't know what he was doing and got lucky in 2015 that the players clicked, it didn't have much to do with him. Pretty much all the creative responsibility is Messi's as well as the goalscoring and no other player in the world has to do both. I feel his teammates perform and Valverde does his job then Messi is the difference maker but it is still a team sport.

The creativity falls on Messi in these games due to the way he and the team plays a lot in recent years.

Slow passing, get ball to Messi who comes towards ball slowly in exactly area pitch opposition know he will be in.

Messi is not a play maker, he doesnt dictate tempo or probe opposition defence enough. He is a difference maker in he final third.

Truthist

The creativity falls on Messi in these games due to the way he and the team plays a lot in recent years.

Slow passing, get ball to Messi who comes towards ball slowly in exactly area pitch opposition know he will be in.

Messi is not a play maker, he doesnt dictate tempo or probe opposition defence enough. He is a difference maker in he final third.

I have to reluctantly agree.

Truthist

We need that fire in the belly Messi too, seriously he can't afford to walk around off the ball. The game is changing all the time and players are pushing their bodies to new limits and if Messi doesn't adapt he will stop being significant in UCL knockout games.

I'm still fuming he wasn't rested in Copa.

beck123

Banned
Honestly, if Chelsea park the bus ( and they will for sure ), I am afraid Messi can't win this game alone.
If Suarez doesn't step up too, you'll see only Messi long passes trying to break Chelsea bus, but those will be blocked by Chelsea defenders, who are quite tall.

Home of Barca Fans