10 - Lionel Messi - v5

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Cannot see Kane winning it.

But KDB if City win the CL too would become a big favourite.

Pedro

La Masia
If neither Messi nor CR win the CL or the WC,i can see the award go to player that actually won one or both these titles.

Well that didn't happen in 2010 when Inter won the CL and Spain won the World Cup, Messi still won the Ballon D'or. :hooray:

bismp

Well that didn't happen in 2010 when Inter won the CL and Spain won the World Cup, Messi still won the Ballon D'or. :hooray:

Yeah but we reached the CL semis that year.We had won the treble in 2009 and we were still considered the best team in the world.

Messi himself was tearing teams apart back then.Plus there wasn’t any “voters’ fatigue” that year...This is the biggest thing to consider IMO.

biraboyz

Banned
Yeah but we reached the CL semis that year.We had won the treble in 2009 and we were still considered the best team in the world.

Messi himself was tearing teams apart back then.Plus there wasn’t any “voters’ fatigue” that year...This is the biggest thing to consider IMO.

so what this award become, a tournament award instead of best player of the year ? the big difference in NBA MVP selection, they look at players performance then the team standings. That’s how it should be, player first before team achievements

Truthist

The 442 with Suarez' and Messi's position has made his goals dry up the last games (meeting ultra-defensive teams also don't help). In the first half of the season, it seemed it would be an insane goal-scoring year for him... Barca need to adress this. Nowadays, he's lucky to get half a real chance during a game.

It doesn't help that he has to directly link up with Suarez who's link up play is below standard. Any return pass is at best over hit or puts Messi out of sync.

Last edited:

vlad

I hope Barca and Madrid meet in the knockout stages or final of the CL, Leo will punish them and CR7 wont win the B'dor, otherwise CR7 is nailed on to overtake Leo and win his 6th B'Dor :angry:

I hope they will not meet in final, just a thought that real is so close to win 3 cl in a row, 4th in 5 years, 1 less then barca in whole history, would bother me, and its just 90 minutes, you can get fucked by ref and its over

Mitchell1978

so what this award become, a tournament award instead of best player of the year ? the big difference in NBA MVP selection, they look at players performance then the team standings. That’s how it should be, player first before team achievements

last couple of years it has become a Champions League award, this year there's a world cup so a little different.

Pepe Silvia

I hope they will not meet in final, just a thought that real is so close to win 3 cl in a row, 4th in 5 years, 1 less then barca in whole history, would bother me, and its just 90 minutes, you can get fucked by ref and its over
Ye of little faith...

serghei

Messi himself need to start trusting some of the new players too. There have been numerous occasions of Semedo or someone else making a run on the right side, but Messi always trying to force it to the left with Alba and Suarez. It becomes too predictable.

So true. Good runs even.

footyfan

Calma, calma
Barca are too predictable when Messi is the main focal point. It might work against lower level teams, but it is found sorely wanting in the CL. Kinda both Messi's fault and the tactics + other players. so can't really hold him accountable alone. Messi destabilized midfields and defences with his dribbling with extreme regularity in Pep's era. This is not the case anymore. Although his technical skills are still great, he lost those destabilizing dribbles. Whether its due to a change in role (more playmaking) or him losing that physical level or a combination of both doesn't really matter. Neymar would have been great had he stayed, he has those destabilizing dribbles but he doesn't have Messi's decision making/game sense and unselfishness.

Last edited:

BerkeleyBernie

Messi himself need to start trusting some of the new players too. There have been numerous occasions of Semedo or someone else making a run on the right side, but Messi always trying to force it to the left with Alba and Suarez. It becomes too predictable.

He trusts Coutinho, no hesitation in giving him the ball.

Home of Barca Fans