10 - Lionel Messi - v5

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
He doesn't need to be moved anywhere nor does he need to score more than Kane or someone else. There is so much more to his game than goals and I am shocked how some fans can't appreciate it without obsessing over scoring records.

He doesn't need to be moved anywhere nor does he need to score more than Kane or someone else. There is so much more to his game than goals and I am shocked how some fans can't appreciate it without obsessing over scoring records.

Of course there's more to his game than scoring, that much is clear, but without him as a major goal threat leaves the goal scoring duties solely on Suarez's shoulders and with how hot and cold he's been this season we cannot rely on him to score all our goals. Not to mention it isn't a good idea to rely on a single player for scoring all your goals regardless of how good he may be.

I personally couldn't care less about him winning the Golden Boot or breaking any scoring records, but the fact is when Leo stops scoring the team scores much less. When he was playing at false 9 at the start if the season he scored at an insane rate with 12 goals in 8 matches or something similar to that. Since we switched to the 4-4-2 he has scored a lot less and almost all his goals have come from cutbacks from Alba. Now with teams actively looking for that pass and blocking it he has very few other outlets to score.

We need Messi to score for the good of the team. In this 4-4-2 we need both our forwards to be scoring to be successful consistently.

Last edited:

gatsu

standing between 3+ opponents without any urgency to move or to get into dangerous space.
As a teammate (sergi Roberto in particular, who works his ass off the whole time) I would be pissed

Yeah and people have short and selective memory. Lets forget that Messi has been working his ass from the start of the season till now. And the team sole threat for opponents. It's Messi that should be pissed for having half-assed players as teamates with no support whatsover not the opposite

FCBfan22

He was clearly pacing himself today. Look at this:

giphy.gif

He just couldn't be arsed to run. When he sees that Dembele reached the edge of the box he's like "Oh, I better run now". But it's too late then and Suarez is alone in the box. If he followed the move, we would have a much much greater chance to score.

pregra

He has absolutely no confidence in Dembele's abilities. Messi's body language when a player like Iniesta, Busquets, Neymar etc. have the ball compared to Dembele, Digne, Semedo etc. is polar opposites, so easy to read him.

M

MessiCam

He just couldn't be arsed to run. When he sees that Dembele reached the edge of the box he's like "Oh, I better run now". But it's too late then and Suarez is alone in the box. If he followed the move, we would have a much much greater chance to score.
He has always done this. It’s so he can find space in the second wave of runs into the box.

Had he motored with Suarez he’d have been sandwiched by 2 banks of 4.

M

MessiCam

Of course there's more to his game than scoring, that much is clear, but without him as a major goal threat leaves the goal scoring duties solely on Suarez's shoulders and with how hot and cold he's been this season we cannot rely on him to score all our goals. Not to mention it isn't a good idea to rely on a single player for scoring all your goals regardless of how good he may be.

I personally couldn't care less about him winning the Golden Boot or breaking any scoring records, but the fact is when Leo stops scoring the team scores much less. When he was playing at false 9 at the start if the season he scored at an insane rate with 12 goals in 8 matches or something similar to that. Since we switched to the 4-4-2 he has scored a lot less and almost all his goals have come from cutbacks from Alba. Now with teams actively looking for that pass and blocking it he has very few other outlets to score.

We need Messi to score for the good of the team. In this 4-4-2 we need both our forwards to be scoring to be successful consistently.
Take out any one of Suarez and Messi and you’ll how easy it is for the other to score with wingers driving at the defenders.

I don’t expect Valverde to do it though but as someone alluded to yesterday it appears that he is caught between 2, maybe even 3 systems. The third being a 4-2-3-1.

The other option is switching to a 3 man defence.

kilian

He eliminated himself from this attack and didn't provide an option for Dembele - first, second or twentieth wave. Bad move by him.

MagIX

Sliding doors: from Kane to Messi, from Maradona to Lewandowski, when clubs let the champions escape

Let's start with perhaps the most clamorous and famous case, protagonist Enrico Preziosi of Como Calcio, current president of Genoa. In 2002 the Lombard club,
promoted in Serie A, came across an Argentinean boy, maybe a little bit small that's true, but with crystal-clear talent. The name? Lionel Messi.
He would have cost just 50,000 dollars, about 35,000 euros, but Como ruled out him at the end:"When I was the owner of Como Calcio - said Preziosi -
I had Messi on trial for two weeks. He was 15 years old, we had been following him for a long time and already then he was a phenomenon,
but in the end we decided not to take him for various situations and the Barcelona made the big deal"

In italian: http://www.juvenews.eu/smart-news/s...ano-sfuggire-i-campioni/?intcmp=colpi-mancati

MagIX

He was on trial at Como Calcio while he was a Barcelona player? That`s the first I`ve ever heard of it.

It's a fake news. Sorry for posting it.
I read that Como Calcio sportsmen directors at that time and coach of the youth sector of Como at that time strongly denied what president Preziosi said in a interniew with sky sport 24.

giphy.gif

Arrogance of Messi. Leadership by example.

Home of Barca Fans