10 - Lionel Messi - v5

FCB1987

Banned
why does he always shorten his vacations to start every game in preseason and the super cup just so he can he exhausted for the big matches at the end of the season?

LordLichtenstein

Difference is still barça continue winning a lot of trophies unlike Madrid in CR7's first few years there.
And his conditioning is fine, he lost some explosiveness and pace but thats normal at 31 but his fitness is as good as it has been, he probably takes better care of himself then he did in his early 20s.
This obsession with his running is dumb because he's been doing what he has been doing for a decade, get over it.
I'm starting to wonder if you people actually watch him play regulary or are just following the mainstream media.
Yeah, having someone pressing, creating space and helping in defense is dumb. Right on the nail.

It doesn't have to be the one or the other - Messi can absolutely press, create space, help in defense, score and assist goals.

Laplacian

What do you mean he hasn't declined? He has nowhere near the agility, acceleration, and pace he had 3 years ago. Messi's defensive work-rate used to be very impressive back in the days of Rikjaard and Pep Guardiola

eaman

What do you mean he hasn't declined? He has nowhere near the agility, acceleration, and pace he had 3 years ago. Messi's defensive work-rate used to be very impressive back in the days of Rikjaard and Pep Guardiola

He played on the right under rijkaard so he had to help the full back a bit but it's probably less than you remember. Under guardiola the front three had to press the defence but I don't think Messi was doing much tracking back. If you watch him now he still closes players down in and around his area maybe it's just valverdes non pressing tactics that make it look like he's doing alot less. I mean the when there is a front three playing they don't press together anymore

CatalinR10

why does he always shorten his vacations to start every game in preseason and the super cup just so he can he exhausted for the big matches at the end of the season?

because he knows his best chance at a trophy are these mikey mouse ones instead of the CL where he flops since i can't remember when

henias

His walking is more prominent and worse for Argentina because the teammates cannot go forward and theres alot of spaces in the middle which is not occupied. Maybe teammates can take better advantage of that but it really doesnt help when Messi is literally ignoring that huge chunk of space while just walking, waiting for his ball to come to him. Occasionally his movements is important and him getting the ball will attract alot of defenders, causing some real helter skelter.

Against Nigeria, he was everywhere, wanting the ball, having that hunger to create something. Obviously, he's still really good on the ball but he's not matching that intensity in big games.

Of course, I have acknowledged Sampaoli's and his idiotic tactics but this minor flaw of Messi can definitely be improved. But oh well, I think him in being back in Barcelona again gives him much more hope and that passion to win games.

Coaches needs to deploy more attacking talents beside him to take the pressure off him when he's on the ball and Messi himself also needs to be in the mood to get on the ball. Get this two right and on any day it'll work like magic.

And no need ridiculous comparison with Cristiano and Messi like who can better carry a lousy team; it's just Messi's playstyle that needs more offensive talents. Even Cristiano's simple counter attacking/crossing or using movement/height to shake off defenders in the box is easy to adapt for poor teams but against a team that truly dominates, there's absolutely zero chance of Ronaldo getting the ball as well. One moment he can be a hero and the next, he's a complete ghost especially if he doesnt score.

Laplacian

because he knows his best chance at a trophy are these mikey mouse ones instead of the CL where he flops since i can't remember when

When did Copa del reys and La ligas become mickey mouse trophies? We fought so hard to obtain our first La Liga trophy in ages when rikjaard first arrived and now 15 years later Barcelona fans like you take it for granted.

FCB1987

Banned

1. If walking so much was beneficial, why hasn't Pep or any other top manager told more of his players to start doing it?

2. The stats are very misleading because Messi might "gain space" by walking on the right wing when the ball moves to the other side only becauae the opposition shifts over. If the ball moved back closer to Messi, they would shift back and his space would be gone.

NotInHere

he will be easier to contain now if he just decides to walk between the middle near the oppositions goal with a bunch of defenders next to him, he's slower now.

his body type wont allow him to win arial duals, like a few of you said his game has become too predictable/outdated, he needs to tweak a few things to adapt to todays fast paced game.

I have faith in him though.

booge

Modric is not getting balon dor ffs.

forget that man. when is barca gunna get some decent players. you watch world cup and you lick the lips on the talents on display.

Could with signing some of those french players. The Croat players arn't too bad either.

Greizman would be absolutely perfect. Him , Messi and Busquets. They could really dominate the middle.

The one I am worrying about now is Coutinho. I think he is one dimensional and can be stopped pretty easy. He keeps cutting inside with his one trick.

Griezman is tricky like Iniesta, Xavi with his death touch.

Please get him!!!!

Home of Barca Fans