Luis Suárez

Messi983

You think Koeman would've made no difference in that? And the rejuvenation of the midfield with a better De Jong, and Pedri, and Dest, return of Dembele...

He's doing even better than I expected at AM. Some of the goals he scored were pure class.

Nah, don't think anything would change (for the better) if he'd stay.

JamDav1982

We had 10 more goals at the same stage last season. And last season we hit 86 overall, one of our worst seasons scoring wise. Put things into context a bit. As I've said, we are not Atletico, we relly mostly on our attack to win games. 10 goals this season would have put us over Real, maybe in line with Atletico(if they would have went for Cavani :lol:).

Sorry but I can't see what Braithwaite or Griezmann bring. Even Dembele is mostly ineffective, but at least he has pace and trickery to fool defenders and create danger.

I get the whole thing of moving forward, as I've accepted the situation when we sold him. But it proved to me wrong when we didn't replace him.

Last season Suarez didnt start games 2,3 and 4 and Barca scored 10 in two and a half games so not all on Suarez in first 19 games either.

A pissed of Messi and also him not scoring the same FKs and missing a lot of chances etc also has an impact at beginning of season this time round.

Was awful to watch Messi and Suarez hang up park as a two looking for goals late on. The team just looked completely disjointed, slow and left to individual moments for me.

BarcaOG

Banned
He has responded in Atleti as they are not covering two old legs.

Problem is you want to ignore last season and make up scenarios where team play same this year but Suarez to finish. Complete fantasy.

Good move on both parts to move on.

He has responded to a new system. You can't assume or conclude that he wouldn't have responded to Koeman's system. Every goal Suarez scores for Atleti is evidence that, under different directions, he responds positively. If he were performing poorly (dead legs), that would reinforce your argument. He hasn't. You can't dismiss that just because it suits your claim.

You can't accuse me of 'ignoring last season' while you resort to an equally unwarranted move: extrapolating from it to conclude that it would be the same. No two seasons are the same. Look at Liverpool last year and Liverpool now. Or City from two years ago to the City of last year. There is more change and disruption between seasons than there is continuity (unless we speak of the monopolized leagues in France and Germany. And even then, things change marginally).

JamDav1982

He has responded to a new system. You can't assume or conclude that he wouldn't have responded to Koeman's system. Every goal Suarez scores for Atleti is evidence that, under different directions, he responds positively. If he were performing poorly (dead legs), that would reinforce your argument. He hasn't. You can't dismiss that just because it suits your claim.

You can't accuse me of 'ignoring last season' while you resort to an equally unwarranted move: extrapolating from it to conclude that it would be the same. No two seasons are the same. Look at Liverpool last year and Liverpool now. Or City from two years ago to the City of last year. There is more change and disruption between seasons than there is continuity (unless we speak of the monopolized leagues in France and Germany. And even then, things change marginally).

So you can assume but no one else can... good going.

BarcaOG

Banned
So you can assume but no one else can... good going.

No, I recognize that my own claim is based on a hypothetical. But there is more evidence to suggest that Suarez responds to new directions than there is that he is, as you put it, dead legs. Since he can clearly continue scoring goals at this level. This is a relevant metric because we are scoring less goals in the league than is usually the case--and this absence of goals is costing us points. Hence our position in the table relative to Atleti's.

So both our claims assume something about last season (continuity in your case, change in mine), but at least I can support my speculation with his performances at Atleti. Like I said, if he were performing poorly, your claim would be stronger. As things stand, it isn't.

JamDav1982

No, I recognize that my own claim is based on a hypothetical. But there is more evidence to suggest that Suarez responds to new directions than there is that he is, as you put it, dead legs. Since he can clearly continue scoring goals at this level.

So both our claims assume something about last season (continuity in your case, change in mine), but at least I can support my speculation with his performances at Atleti. Like I said, if he were performing poorly, your claim would be stronger. As things stand, it isn't.

First sentence in and stopped. Same garbage.

SmilerBam

So...as i ve said in the summer,we will regret selling Suarez(and not buying a true striker instead),especially to a rival?How stupid is that?Really,i really think Bartoshit is a Madrid fan.Can't wrap my head around 99% of his decisions he took at this club while being president.

Respekt_III

Anti-everything
So...as i ve said in the summer,we will regret selling Suarez(and not buying a true striker instead),especially to a rival?How stupid is that?Really,i really think Bartoshit is a Madrid fan.Can't wrap my head around 99% of his decisions he took at this club while being president.

selling him was the right decision without a doubt, the main problem for us now is that we didn't get a replacement.

I'm perfectly fine with that as well as there's no way we were challenging for the league regardless and it was better to move him on and start the rebuild earlier.

Ignoring the severe financial issues the issue with Saurez was always around not being mobile enough for more difficult opponents while also fucking up so many of our plays; We really couldn't afford a frontline of Messi and Suarez it had to be either or and i'd choose messi 10/10 times.

If Messi's finishing was still on point we'd genuinely be a lot higher in the table, right now his finishing has improved and i hope because of that so will our results.

JohnN

Perhaps Suarez time was over here but a replacement did need to come. You can't go from Suarez to braith as a main no.9 and expect to keep the same scoring ratio. It would mean the team is creating a lot more chances, which it kind of does, but it's still not enough. Add to that, griezmann who most games misses easy chances one after the other, Fati who was a real treat before injury and all the burden fell to misserable Messi who took some time to get it together and start scoring golazos, after the Barto clusterfuck.
All in all, I have been convinced Suarez wouldn't accept a bench role due to the status he had at the club and the lack of leadership from coach and board. If this was the pep era, I would give a chance for him to stay as an impact sub. But for the circumstances we are in, it is probably for the better he left, even though in the short run this could mean some lost points here and there.

Home of Barca Fans