Luis Suárez

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Why do we need a pure #9?

I've asked this question before, but no one have answered it yet. Also, what #9 would you sign that would improve the team right away?

Griezmann complements Messi's style of play perfectly as the striker of this team. What we need is a LW that's a good dribbler and got some pace to keep other teams from pushing their FBs forward and steamrolling us.

Some of you are obsessed with the notion that Griezmann doesn't fit us, and that we need a #9 like Suarez, but no one want to elaborate why?

serghei

I've asked this question before, but no one have answered it yet. Also, what #9 would you sign that would improve the team right away?

Griezmann complements Messi's style of play perfectly as the striker of this team. What we need is a LW that's a good dribbler and got some pace to keep other teams from pushing their FBs forward and steamrolling us.

We don't need a clear no9 if we get rid of Valverde. We do if we manage to sign another conservative buffoon like him though. It's all about the manager.

DonAK

We don't need a clear no9 if we get rid of Valverde. We do if we manage to sign another conservative buffoon like him though. It's all about the manager.

I'm banking on us not doing that.

As long as we have Messi in the team, we need a striker that's great at combining with Messi, playing those quick one-twos and getting into the goalscoring positions to receive Messi's final pass.

That's why Higuain always started for Argentina, because he, even till this day is the only Argentine striker that proved to be good enough to do that.

Aguero, Benedetto, Lautaro, Icardi, name whichever other striker they've played you want, look off with Messi because their profile and style of play is more similar to the one of a proper #9.

So, I ask the question again to those that's hell bent on us signing a #9, why and who?

Last edited:

mc_lovin

Some of you are obsessed with the notion that Griezmann doesn't fit us, and that we need a #9 like Suarez, but no one want to elaborate why?

A true 9 makes things in football easier? More room for error regarding deliveries into the box, more classical hold up play and so on. That doesnt mean a strikerless setup cant be brilliant, but its much harder to execute - players have to be more precise. Simple as that. I agree that we shouldnt go for a random 9, and right now there arent any convincing ones available. But I wouldnt want a squad without one.

DonAK

A true 9 makes things in football easier? More room for error regarding deliveries into the box, more classical hold up play and so on. That doesnt mean a strikerless setup cant be brilliant, but its much harder to execute - players have to be more precise. Simple as that. I agree that we shouldnt go for a random 9, and right now there arent any convincing ones available. But I wouldnt want a squad without one.

I agree with that, which is why I want an experienced backup like Mandzukic or Giroud. Not always Plan A will work, even if you try all day.

Vilarrubi

Agree and I still don't class Suarez as a pure 9 as some people do here either, he drops back a lot and gets involved in the link up play (fails miserably nowadays). I don't see any "pure 9s" having any success here at all, don't get the obsession with it.. only want a true 9 as a backup. Griezmann is a good fit, we've just got Valverde the clown as manager.

DonAK

Agree and I still don't class Suarez as a pure 9 as some people do here either, he drops back a lot and gets involved in the link up play (fails miserably nowadays). I don't see any "pure 9s" having any success here at all, don't get the obsession with it. Griezmann is a good fit, we've just got Valverde the clown as manager.

Exactly. Well, Suarez sucks at that now, but at Ajax, Liverpool and his first couple of years at Barca he was great at that.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
Agree and I still don't class Suarez as a pure 9 as some people do here either, he drops back a lot and gets involved in the link up play (fails miserably nowadays). I don't see any "pure 9s" having any success here at all, don't get the obsession with it.. only want a true 9 as a backup. Griezmann is a good fit, we've just got Valverde the clown as manager.

"Pure 9s" of modern football are required to be able to do that. Probably wrong to call them pure 9s, just modern 9s. There is only a handful of old-fashioned strikers like Dost at the highest level now.

DonAK

"Pure 9s" of modern football are required to be able to do that. Probably wrong to call them pure 9s, just modern 9s. There is only a handful of old-fashioned strikers like Dost at the highest level now.

I cannot see any available that would start for Barca though.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
I cannot see any available that would start for Barca though.

We don't need one, we've never used one. Romario, Ronaldo, Kluivert, Eto'o were all technical beasts. Griezmann can do the job just well enough. Aguero is killing it at the highest level for years with 1.73m as the lone striker for instance.

henias

I never said we need a pure 9.

I needed Messi to be the false 9, which still restricts Griez as an inside forward.

Unless you want Griezmann to play as a false 9 and Messi as a winger, you can try that at your own risk. But Messi is being him will still occupy false 9.

Griezmann is no striker. He plays as a 9 with Messi that's going to be a problem.

The problem we had when Messi and Suarez both are too heavily central players. But prime Suarez was the perfect inside forward as well as a number 9, he had the ability to do everything from pure finishing to dribbling to getting past defenders like they're nothing. When Suarez lost that ability both are stuck in the middle.

Before Fati, ideally it's Griez-Messi-Dembele. You were right, we needed a LW not a SS. With Fati, it makes the most sense to be Fati-Messi-Dembele.

DonAK

We don't need one, we've never used one. Romario, Ronaldo, Kluivert, Eto'o were all technical beasts. Griezmann can do the job just well enough. Aguero is killing it at the highest level for years with 1.73m as the lone striker for instance.

That's precisely my point, against those who believe Griezmann is a bad fit and that we absolutely need a striker in the mould of Suarez.

I never said we need a pure 9.

I needed Messi to be the false 9, which still restricts Griez as an inside forward.

Unless you want Griezmann to play as a false 9 and Messi as a winger, you can try that at your own risk. But Messi is being him will still occupy false 9.

Griezmann is no striker. He plays as a 9 with Messi that's going to be a problem.

The problem we had when Messi and Suarez both are too heavily central players. But prime Suarez was the perfect inside forward as well as a number 9, he had the ability to do everything from pure finishing to dribbling to getting past defenders like they're nothing. When Suarez lost that ability both are stuck in the middle.

Before Fati, ideally it's Griez-Messi-Dembele. You were right, we needed a LW not a SS. With Fati, it makes the most sense to be Fati-Messi-Dembele.

With Valverde I would agree with you, but Griezmann can definitely play a role similar to what Tadic does in Ajax's setup, and then you complement that with Messi who has a free role, but starts out on the RW like Ziyech, and complement that with a proper LW.

It depends on our setup, how the ball progression from the midfield is and the overall nature of the team.

I can agree with you, that if we have a manager like Valverde, Messi False 9 with two wingers is probably the best setup, but I'm hopeful we'll have a better manager by next summer.

Last edited:

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
That's precisely my point, against those who believe Griezmann is a bad fit and that we absolutely need a striker in the mould of Suarez.

We know that the biggest proponent of that idea is BBZ. He can't stop talking about in every essay of his.

Home of Barca Fans