Luis Suárez

Andresito

Staff member
Icardi has spectacularly low assists numbers. For example he has 26 over 18115 minutes. For reference Suarez has 100 in 28164 and Mbappe has 31 in 8013. I highly doubt Icardi is a Barca type #9 or that at 25 he would change his spots.

Playing with good players increases your assists. Both Ronaldo and Suárez have a good amount, most of them are simple sideway passes.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
His record in his last 23 CL games including Group Stages: 4 Goals & 7 Assists

From our supposed second best attacking player and the best #9 in the World. Shocking.

Let's see if he steps up this season.

serghei

I’m afraid the Suarez-Messi bullyism won’t go away until we get a new manager or one of them leaves. It’s going to be a long, long season.

Pretty much. The chances of Messi and Suarez changing at 30+ years old are very slim.

It's either a manager makes them change or one of them needs to be sold, and that can only be Suarez. The problem is that both these decisions lie in the hands of Valverde and the board, both of which are pussies.

ronniecro

pathetic stats but i'm not putting all the blame on him,we usually play like shit in general in CL so his stats are not surprising

DonAK

re-quoting my post for this page:

His record in his last 23 CL games including Group Stages: 4 Goals & 7 Assists

From our supposed second best attacking player and the best #9 in the World. Shocking.

Let's see if he steps up this season.

For what it's worth, Benzema has 4 CL goals this season which is as many as Suarez has last couple of seasons + this one. Lewandowski has 21 goals in his 26 last CL games.

pathetic stats but i'm not putting all the blame on him,we usually play like shit in general in CL so his stats are not surprising

Then where does the blame lie? Our striker is scoring at a pathetic rate compared to other very good or World Class strikers. Is it him? Is it our midfield? Are we not creating enough chances? I thought Rakitic and Busquets were indisputable starters and absolute World Class.

Why does all our goals come from one player only, and through mostly individual actions from him too?

For all the criticism gone Messi, Rakitic, Busquets and other players way, Suarez has gotten scot free of it. His performances and actual contribution in the CL in recent times is probably the most pathetic I've seen from a supposed World Class striker in a long time.

Last edited:

DonAK

It's the elephant in the room when people get outraged about our poor CL record in recent years.

DonAK

Triple post so forgive me mods, but I'll give you guys another stat to think about.

Neymar in his last season for Barcelona played 9 CL games and had 4 CL goals + 8 Assists.

Leo_Messi

Suárez's goalscoring record in the CL, in particular in the past 3 seasons, is indeed worrying if not outright pathetic. However it is just underlining our struggles in the CL, in particular when playing away against compact opponents. It is quite baffling as the same Suárez has no problems (generally speaking over the past 3 seasons) in scoring against Atlético and RM in the league. Away from home included.

It must be a mental thing. Similar to Messi having subpar performances against Atlético in the CL (2014, 2016 and 2017) while otherwise scoring for fun against them in the league.

Obviously Messi and Suárez and other seniors and leading players have simply not performed as well as they should have been performing in the CL. There have been many explanations and theories why that happens. Everything from wrong tactics by the likes of Lucho and Valverde to even lack of motivation (hard to believe) to the team having problems coping with compact teams.

To me the issues are obviously multi folded but the major issue seems to be a mental one. Otherwise I find it hard to explain otherwise. That and the team grumbling under pressure along with the managers and their tactical preparations. Part of the mental package so to speak.

I am not even sure if the players know why the CL performances have been so unlike what the consistency seen in the league against the likes of RM and Atlético have shown in the same time period.

Forgot the fatigue part and us as a team being burned out in the late winter, early spring period due to our engagement in the CdR, lack of rotations and overall (less so nowadays) inferior rotation players compared to the likes of RM, Bayern, City and others. Seniors playing in meaningless games before crucial CL ties when the league is practically decided is not helping. Even the likes of Suárez publicly admitted to that. Let us see if they will commit the exact same mistakes this time around. We will get a little taste of this tomorrow night.

Arizona Scott

I think the point below is more relevant than any kind of lack of motivation and mental hex unique to the CL. Too often our best football is November, December and January. Couple times we nearly got chased down in league as well after nice leads. Also some years Messi and Suarez had to have some intense international breaks in the spring instead of rest there, hopefully different this year.

Forgot the fatigue part and us as a team being burned out in the late winter, early spring period due to our engagement in the CdR, lack of rotations and overall (less so nowadays) inferior rotation players compared to the likes of RM, Bayern, City and others. Seniors playing in meaningless games before crucial CL ties when the league is practically decided is not helping. Even the likes of Suárez publicly admitted to that. Let us see if they will commit the exact same mistakes this time around. We will get a little taste of this tomorrow night.

The only other thing I'll add is sometimes simple defending hasn't been tight. That is the only way you give up 4 goals to Roma, 3 to Juve, 5 to PSG, across 2 legs. You have to have major defensive breakdowns and lose focus. Both the Roma and Atletico ties were lost from winning positions, even the Juv final we won we let them back into it. Some times you have to be happy to win against packed and talented defensive teams by tie scores like 2-1.

Last edited:

Calidad

We should start experimenting more with Messi as the CF/false 9. I don’t think he can or should play RW much longer. I can’t believe we’re over half way through the season and we haven’t seen a front line of Dembele-Messi-Malcom once?

Before anyone say’s 4-4-2. I despise that formation.

Zidane82

We should start experimenting more with Messi as the CF/false 9. I don’t think he can or should play RW much longer. I can’t believe we’re over half way through the season and we haven’t seen a front line of Dembele-Messi-Malcom once?

Before anyone say’s 4-4-2. I despise that formation.

Love the Messi flanked by Dembele and Malcom

Home of Barca Fans