Luis Suárez

Arizona Scott

I keep hearing critiques but not viable alternatives for the time being. While we are looking for an in his prime version of Suarez, we will no doubt be looking for the in his prime versions of Iniesta, Xavi, Puyol, Busquets, Pique and Alves. We find and acquire these 7 players I think Barca is pretty set up, I certainly am looking for this quality (and upgrades to the current Barca starters) on Transfermarket and whatever Europe club and international matches I see.

It remind me some of the viabes I saw with the midfielder discussions: Pogba--too egotistical, Milinkovic-Savic--he sucked at the world cup, Rabiot--he sucks and is a primma donna, Kante--could never play Busquets, Thiago--too injury prone. I could go on and on. It is far easier to be critical than offer viable solutions that will improve the situation.

KingLeo10

I keep hearing critiques but not viable alternatives for the time being. While we are looking for an in his prime version of Suarez, we will no doubt be looking for the in his prime versions of Iniesta, Xavi, Puyol, Busquets, Pique and Alves. We find and acquire these 7 players I think Barca is pretty set up, I certainly am looking for this quality (and upgrades to the current Barca starters) on Transfermarket and whatever Europe club and international matches I see.

It remind me some of the viabes I saw with the midfielder discussions: Pogba--too egotistical, Milinkovic-Savic--he sucked at the world cup, Rabiot--he sucks and is a primma donna, Kante--could never play Busquets, Thiago--too injury prone. I could go on and on. It is far easier to be critical than offer viable solutions that will improve the situation.

suarez at the moment is so bad and the market for replacements so barren that I would put Messi in as the central forward and utilize the 3 of Dembele, Malcom, and Coutinho as our 2 wingers (Coutinho can also slot into MF effortlessly if all 3 are to be played).

Saladin

suarez at the moment is so bad and the market for replacements so barren that I would put Messi in as the central forward and utilize the 3 of Dembele, Malcom, and Coutinho as our 2 wingers (Coutinho can also slot into MF effortlessly if all 3 are to be played).

I feel as though Werner, in spite of his underwhelming WC, has the right profile to fill in some of the gaps. Prime Suarez is not happening anytime soon, but Werner has a lot of the right qualities in his toolbox. He has pace, agility, can press effectively and is a proven goal scorer. As others have stated already, bringing in the likes of Kane, Jesus, Firmino would cost us a fortune and none of the players mentioned would be allowed to leave by their respective clubs.

I would personally prefer us to give Munir and Ruiz some proper playing time for once. Not only pre-season games but actual competitive games to improve on their link-up play with their teammates as well as instill trust and motivation. Maybe this will be the tonic needed for Suarez to actually pull in a shift and lightning a fire under his well-proportioned ass.

Toecrusher

What about Moussa Dembele from Celtic as a backup option to put more pressure on Suarez than Paco/Munir?

Caught my eye when he played well against us recently plus scored a brace against ManCity. Young, CL experience, scores many types of goals (speed, power, long shots etc.), most likely willing to sit on the bench for a Barca chance, and would cost less than other options...

Can't think of many others who would be cheap, effective and ok to sit on the bench. Scraping the barrell a bit here...

henias

Messi back to false 9, since Suarez struggles at RW/RF, Malcom can show what's he's capable of. I keep hearing that we need a number 9, we need a striker, but Messi and Suarez simply cannot co-exist anymore. There's definitely various alternatives, not necessarily replacing Suarez, but changing our team dynamics and what is required at top levels.

I expect at least an experimentation of either:

Coutinho-Messi-Dembele
Vidal/Arthur-Busquets-Rakitic

Malcolm-Messi-Dembele
Coutinho-Busquets-Arthur/Rakitic

MSN is over, we shouldnt keep trying to recreate that same MS(N) front three. It's whether we want to take that leap and try to create something new like how Enrique did when he phased out Xavi and introduced Neymar, Rakitic. All talk and no change is useless. You can keep saying that we have no choice, but theres nothing to lose at this point. You'll never know if we havent give it a shot.

That being said, the coach plays a vital role in that transformation and the assertiveness he needs to have on the squad. The team dynamics, movement, and the guts to tell Suarez that: "hey, if you dont improve or train harder, I'm going to give chances to younger more hungrier talents." And not let him play just because they are Suarez, Messi, Busquets or anyone from 4-5 years ago.

Can even give Munir a shot if he's brave enough. Meanwhile we can always scout for talents as the season progresses. Nothing is impossible.

Last edited:

Laplacian

I don't know that it's that dated. I mean, Sarri played it with Mertens and everyone was raving about them. Hell, I'd call Firmino a false 9, certainly he's not a conventional striker; Salah in that system is as often through the middle as him. I think it's definitely worth a try. What have we got to lose? Suarez is done at the highest level, and like you say there aren't a whole lot of options in terms of available strikers.

Mertens played as an actual striker, not a false 9. Having a short CF doesn't automatically make him a false 9.

Pepe Silvia

Rightly got booed in Tanger.

He seems to be his own worst critic though, and it was good the team kept trying to lift him up by supplying him with good passes. He'll need to dig deep for one more season... we'll need him.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Rightly got booed in Tanger.

He seems to be his own worst critic though, and it was good the team kept trying to lift him up by supplying him with good passes. He'll need to dig deep for one more season... we'll need him.

Yeah, thought I heard boos as well.

We really should have gotten someone to challenge him. Know we are being loyal and market for strikers is hard but we definitely can do better than Paco.

El Flaco

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/s/atba9/bojazr" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

https://twitter.com/mark0mitk/status/1029115450020560896

https://streamable.com/him3o

https://streamable.com/0iqqc

Although I already posted a clip Suárez's performance vs. Sevilla before, this one has more sequences compared the previous one...

Behrox

Vice President of FC Barcelona
<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/s/atba9/bojazr" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

https://twitter.com/mark0mitk/status/1029115450020560896

https://streamable.com/him3o

https://streamable.com/0iqqc

Although I already posted a clip Suárez's performance vs. Sevilla before, this one has more sequences compared the previous one...

He looks okay mentally but done physically

Mitchell1978

Don't know if thats the case, things like touch, ballcontroll, decision making shouldn't decline with age and its in those areas that he has most declined.

Judoman

Don't know if thats the case, things like touch, ballcontroll, decision making shouldn't decline with age and its in those areas that he has most declined.

Agreed. And it doesn t make sence at all. It s like he is physically aging, but mentaly he is geting younger (less experience/knowledge).

Weird case of Luis Suarez.

Home of Barca Fans