Luis Suárez

Giginho75

Sometime muddler, but anyway a great striker for three main reasons.

1. Always "in the game", he never vanishes and is always a danger for the opponent defenders;

2. He keeps an average of top-scorer (most important thing for a striker);

3. Great friendship with Leo...and this has not to be underrated.

But I cannot forget what many users said about him just some weeks ago. 🙈🙉🙊

Last edited:

FCBfan22

That was my impression back then. I read it, but its because barca and lfc were in talk before wc, and barca was his dream destination afterall, so its a reasonable fear that barca might not go through. Iirc The price in media was 80m before wc, and i think it was so low because he had an agree ment with lfc. The year before he stayed all tho he could have moved to arsenal for a fee between 40-55m pound. Gerrad talked him from it and told him that IF he waits barca would Come for him. So he stayed.

So I dont think anything was knocked off, but im sure barca tried but lfc wouldnt botch. I ALSO remember reading in media that lfc wouldnt go down on the price. And it made sense, because he already was cheap considering his level, he fitted our team like a glove and we needed a Cf desperately. But I also think that lfc didnt botch, ment they would have been fine staying or actually preferred it. They did try to make a PL-winning team and he was a functional socially player in the squad - not a outsider. He was in fact The star of their team. Maybe the Liverpool fan here can provide some infos as well regarding this matter

The risk of buying Suarez was enourmous at that time. One more biting offense and he would be probably banned from football for a very long time. Thankfully he turned his life around.

Speaking of Suarez now, he seems that he can still perform on the highest level, but not for more than 45-60 minutes. The Lyon game is an example of that. Hopefully, he is properly rested for United.

Havesaks

The risk of buying Suarez was enourmous at that time. One more biting offense and he would be probably banned from football for a very long time. Thankfully he turned his life around.

Speaking of Suarez now, he seems that he can still perform on the highest level, but not for more than 45-60 minutes. The Lyon game is an example of that. Hopefully, he is properly rested for United.

You are wrong. It wasn't a huge risk at all. Or else we wouldn't have bought him for 80m + big wages. Yes, Suarez made a fool of himself in a WC, but he was still considered a top, top shelf player only Messi and Ronaldo being better at the time. He was that good. And liverpool didtn want to get rid of him. Sure barca needed to consider his behavior, and also needed to make sure that he behaves, and so they did by talking with him, making him go to a sport psyologist and fine him if he gets out of line (in his first contract here when we bought him). When you sign a player you also make a pshylogical profile, and in suarez case, WC-incident was blown out of ridiculous proportions - because everyone was watching a WC and because he did it before. But the core of him its clear isn't rotten like fx Pepes, who did something way worse, and way more consistently in his bad behavior.

"turned his life around". Man you make it sound like the guy was a crack-junkie, or a bendtner. But well don't need to discuss any further, its pretty clear you don't know jack shit about him, the transfer or anything regarding what we are talking about :lol: How old are you?

FCBfan22

You are wrong. It wasn't a huge risk at all. Or else we wouldn't have bought him for 80m + big wages. Yes, Suarez made a fool of himself in a WC, but he was still considered a top, top shelf player only Messi and Ronaldo being better at the time. He was that good. And liverpool didtn want to get rid of him. Sure barca needed to consider his behavior, and also needed to make sure that he behaves, and so they did by talking with him, making him go to a sport psyologist and fine him if he gets out of line (in his first contract here when we bought him). When you sign a player you also make a pshylogical profile, and in suarez case, WC-incident was blown out of ridiculous proportions - because everyone was watching a WC and because he did it before. But the core of him its clear isn't rotten like fx Pepes, who did something way worse, and way more consistently in his bad behavior.

"turned his life around". Man you make it sound like the guy was a crack-junkie, or a bendtner. But well don't need to discuss any further, its pretty clear you don't know jack shit about him, the transfer or anything regarding what we are talking about :lol: How old are you?

How old am I? Enough to be a Barca fan since 2003. And I was in primary school at that point. I dont know jack shit? Suarez was banned for 4 months from all footballing activities. If he did it again, he would probably be banned for a year. If this isn't a huge risk for a 80 million transfer, I don't know what it is. He also did it twice in Luverpool jersey before, not just the World Cup. I spoke with a lot of Barca fans at that time and most of them were sceptical, because of Suarez's temper, not his footballing ability. And if he didn't do what he did in the WC, I doubt Liverpool would let him go, since he basically almost won them the PL.

Plus, if you read my former posts, you could've seen that I stated before that I think Luis Suarez was our most important player in the 2014/15 treble season.

He is in great form now, but getting old and should be rotated before important matches. Miles above his form from the middle of last season and early this season.

Regearding you... I never insulted you in my posts. I expressed my opinion on Suarez. You can express yours. Without insulting other members.

Last edited:

BarçaBarça

I hope that he can continue his great form after this injury-setback. It is necessary to get him back at toplevel for our CL-campaign.

Havesaks

How old am I? Enough to be a Barca fan since 2003. And I was in primary school at that point. I dont know jack shit? Suarez was banned for 4 months from all footballing activities. If he did it again, he would probably be banned for a year. If this isn't a huge risk for a 80 million transfer, I don't know what it is. He also did it twice in Luverpool jersey before, not just the World Cup. I spoke with a lot of Barca fans at that time and most of them were sceptical, because of Suarez's temper, not his footballing ability. And if he didn't do what he did in the WC, I doubt Liverpool would let him go, since he basically almost won them the PL.

Plus, if you read my former posts, you could've seen that I stated before that I think Luis Suarez was our most important player in the 2014/15 treble season.

He is in great form now, but getting old and should be rotated before important matches. Miles above his form from the middle of last season and early this season.

Regearding you... I never insulted you in my posts. I expressed my opinion on Suarez. You can express yours. Without insulting other members.

Lets see what claims you have made:

a) Liverpool wouldn't have let him go if it werent for his WC-stunt.

March 24, 2014: Owner says. "Suarez had buy-out clause but they refused to sell". So in 2013 Arsenal made 40m pound bid. Also stating they have gentleman agreement in new contract with Suarez regarding a future transfer.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/26414167

Suarez was furious that is wasnt accepted. Suarez states that he was ready to go to the PL-court. Because lfc did break contract.
https://www.joe.ie/uncategorized/lu...oke-their-promises-and-i-want-to-leave-362915

Gerrad talked him out of it, saying he can go to a bigger club:
https://www.*********/en-ie/news/su...t-of-arsenal-switch/c6gev6ihmzf21deno2mpdto3a

All this is leadning up to future transfer for him. Leading top this (before WC-incident):

https://www.sportskeeda.com/football/reports-barcelona-open-talks-with-liverpool-to-sign-luis-suarez
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...elona-and-real-madrid-interested-9556259.html

b) Suarez was a huge risk

He wasnt. He was a somewhat risk, but so is every player. The WC was blown out of proportions, and the guy isnt mental - 4 month ban was ridicoulous plus the international ban, you said yourself, he was crying and a wrack, it was a wake-up call for him. And the club was sure of it and made arrangements to keep him in line. And his behaviour was exceptional, my general expression back then was always, that he wont be a problem. And so it went down.

c) WC did lower the price

This was media rumoured-price before wc-stunt (the day before tb exact):
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...elona-and-real-madrid-interested-9556259.html

You essens are four big claims, and all of them are complety wrong. You knowing jack shit regarding those matters, is the reality. Maybe brought in a bad way, but its still not false.

__

In genereal you can go on reddit and see how rated he was by fans even after he moved:
https://www.reddit.com/r/LiverpoolF..._is_suarez_still_so_adored_by_liverpool_fans/

So - it was always going the way, that liverpool would sell him if barca came knocking. He would have been sold anyway, only thing that could have changed was that if he DIDNT bite chillini and he DID play amazing in WC, his price may have been higher. But liverpool wasnt eager to sell him, but yes wc-incident didnt lower his price, and it did make it easier for barca to get him. But he was always on the way.
Also i stated that his price was bargain, now you argument that he would have been at least 20m expensive without wc-bargain?
Anyway, you cant deny that how things developed, he was a bargain. No matter what the situation was back then. But you are most likely wrong, and i think liverpool fans will support my claims (which i have documented, and you havent (yet at least)).

FCBfan22

a) I forgot about his move to Arsenal. You are right on this one. Just don't cite the source named goal, because this is bullshit 99% of the time. I'll give you this one.

b) A repeated offender is a huge risk, however you turn it. A player with questionable behaviour is a similar risk to a player with high injury rate, however, one can be turned around and the other most likely can't. Luckily for us, Suarez changed and became one of the most important parts of our team. If he bit again after WC, he would probably be banned for 12 months or so as a 4 time offender. I never bought into Suarez is a racist claims, but evidence of him biting players is on tape. I still think his transfer was a huge risk that paid off massively, especially that he was almost exactly the opposite of what Barca stands for as a player. But he absorbed some of those qualities and became a player that he is. And no, I'm not implying that he bit Chiellini intentionally.

c) He did play amazingly before Italy. If he didn't do what he did, he would go for more. I'm certain of it. Rumoured price or not. But with the incident, I'm sure that it was a lot easier for Liverpool's headquarters to let him go.

Those are the 3 claims, not 4. Regearding of fans, I was speaking about Barca fans, not Liverpool fans. Be was always rated as a footballer, but his behaviour was questionable to say at least. Ghana match celebration, the 3 bites, diving...

Havesaks

a) I forgot about his move to Arsenal. You are right on this one. Just don't cite the source named goal, because this is bullshit 99% of the time. I'll give you this one.

b) A repeated offender is a huge risk, however you turn it. A player with questionable behaviour is a similar risk to a player with high injury rate, however, one can be turned around and the other most likely can't. Luckily for us, Suarez changed and became one of the most important parts of our team. If he bit again after WC, he would probably be banned for 12 months or so as a 4 time offender. I never bought into Suarez is a racist claims, but evidence of him biting players is on tape. I still think his transfer was a huge risk that paid off massively, especially that he was almost exactly the opposite of what Barca stands for as a player. But he absorbed some of those qualities and became a player that he is. And no, I'm not implying that he bit Chiellini intentionally.

c) He did play amazingly before Italy. If he didn't do what he did, he would go for more. I'm certain of it. Rumoured price or not. But with the incident, I'm sure that it was a lot easier for Liverpool's headquarters to let him go.

Those are the 3 claims, not 4. Regearding of fans, I was speaking about Barca fans, not Liverpool fans. Be was always rated as a footballer, but his behaviour was questionable to say at least. Ghana match celebration, the 3 bites, diving...
'

Well so we can agree on, that LFC didnt sell him because of wc incident (claim a), and we would have bought him anyway?

Im pretty sure Suarez said something like "negrito" to Evra. But Im sure he is not a racist, and I tend to lean on towards the explanation that he didnt mean it in a racist way. I think the explanation back then was, that in some parts (where he was from), negrito isnt a racist term, and in others they are.

The liverpool-fan-reddit-comment was to underline my point, that Suarez was highly rated by the club despite the WC-incident and that the incident wasnt the reason why he was sold., like you said.

On paper it is a huge risk, and if you bought into the outcry created by media and fans/people who dont know the player, and make him look like a sociopath, then it may look like a huge risk. But you can see that he isnt out to harm players, if he was, he could do it like ramos, but he gets frustrated and shows it in a different way that is easy for people to tramp on. When his dream, career and whole life is on the line and we make a social analyze of his personality, add barca mentality, sports pshylogist, and fines, then for me he was never a big risk, and i never though he would be. It was clear from day 1 he played, what he said in media (you can tell he is a honest person, true to his emotions), what other people close to him said e.g. rodgers, that he wont do anything to harm the clubs image. And he has been perfect. The first half year, you could tell players tried to provoke him, but he didnt care at all (or made no signs to react on it, i think he was irritated which was fun to watch a litlle bit how he would channel that into playing even better). So yes, i cant give you prove like point a), but I never doubted that he wouldnt do anything to jeopardize his succes in barca. Also his wife is from barcelona, and he is a family man and love his family, so it has always been obvious, that he would do anything to stay here as long as possible.

c) saying his price would go up because of WC, isnt the same as his price went down because of the incident. It really isnt. For every player who plays well in WC, will his price go up. Just look at Mina went from market value 10m to 30m. The price was set at 80m euros, and could have been higher if he had advanced and didnt make the biting stunt, but again its not the same. It would have gone up, but it didnt go down (its not the same). Barca did try to lower the price, but i dont think lfc botched (so were the rumours back then).

On a finale note, i want to say, that I really feel bad for Suarez. Unlike you im sure he bid chillini intentional, but he didnt bite hard, or tried to harm him.
I really feel bad for him, i think he has a great life despite media talk, but the way he was painted as a sociopath, was crazy and unfair, and i do think it was hard for him. But he is no Bojan/iniesta, and he could handle it afterall. A loving person, who in sports get overwhelmed. But he is no Pepe, who i actually suspect being a wive-beater and have deeper issues.

FCBfan22

'

Well so we can agree on, that LFC didnt sell him because of wc incident (claim a), and we would have bought him anyway?

Im pretty sure Suarez said something like "negrito" to Evra. But Im sure he is not a racist, and I tend to lean on towards the explanation that he didnt mean it in a racist way. I think the explanation back then was, that in some parts (where he was from), negrito isnt a racist term, and in others they are.

The liverpool-fan-reddit-comment was to underline my point, that Suarez was highly rated by the club despite the WC-incident and that the incident wasnt the reason why he was sold., like you said.

On paper it is a huge risk, and if you bought into the outcry created by media and fans/people who dont know the player, and make him look like a sociopath, then it may look like a huge risk. But you can see that he isnt out to harm players, if he was, he could do it like ramos, but he gets frustrated and shows it in a different way that is easy for people to tramp on. When his dream, career and whole life is on the line and we make a social analyze of his personality, add barca mentality, sports pshylogist, and fines, then for me he was never a big risk, and i never though he would be. It was clear from day 1 he played, what he said in media (you can tell he is a honest person, true to his emotions), what other people close to him said e.g. rodgers, that he wont do anything to harm the clubs image. And he has been perfect. The first half year, you could tell players tried to provoke him, but he didnt care at all (or made no signs to react on it, i think he was irritated which was fun to watch a litlle bit how he would channel that into playing even better). So yes, i cant give you prove like point a), but I never doubted that he wouldnt do anything to jeopardize his succes in barca. Also his wife is from barcelona, and he is a family man and love his family, so it has always been obvious, that he would do anything to stay here as long as possible.

c) saying his price would go up because of WC, isnt the same as his price went down because of the incident. It really isnt. For every player who plays well in WC, will his price go up. Just look at Mina went from market value 10m to 30m. The price was set at 80m euros, and could have been higher if he had advanced and didnt make the biting stunt, but again its not the same. It would have gone up, but it didnt go down (its not the same). Barca did try to lower the price, but i dont think lfc botched (so were the rumours back then).

On a finale note, i want to say, that I really feel bad for Suarez. Unlike you im sure he bid chillini intentional, but he didnt bite hard, or tried to harm him.
I really feel bad for him, i think he has a great life despite media talk, but the way he was painted as a sociopath, was crazy and unfair, and i do think it was hard for him. But he is no Bojan/iniesta, and he could handle it afterall. A loving person, who in sports get overwhelmed. But he is no Pepe, who i actually suspect being a wive-beater and have deeper issues.

I never said we weren't in for Suarez. I just said that it was easier for Liverpool (board) to decide to sell because of that. And we most likely got him for cheaper (IMO) because of that incident. What I meant by them not selling is them not selling that window of summer 2014 (like with Coutinho in the summer of 2017), but he would end here one way or another.

Liverpool fan's opinion is irrelevant in this case, because it's the LFC board who makes decisions. As they did with Coutinho.

Yes, we agree that Liverpool would most likely sell anyways, since Suarez was determined to go to Barca. Albeit for a higher price IMO.

And finally, yes Suarez isn't a sociopath. Just a great player who made a lot of questionable decisions during his career in the heat of the moment. Pepe, on the other hand, is a cunt.

And his wife is not from Barcelona, he met her in Montevideo, while sweeping the streets.

Last edited:

Havesaks

I never said we weren't in for Suarez. I just said that it was easier for Liverpool (board) to decide to sell because of that. And we most likely got him for cheaper (IMO) because of that incident. What I meant by them not selling is them not selling that window of summer 2014 (like with Coutinho in the summer of 2017), but he would end here one way or another.

Liverpool fan's opinion is irrelevant in this case, because it's the LFC board who makes decisions. As they did with Coutinho.

Yes, we agree that Liverpool would most likely sell anyways, since Suarez was determined to go to Barca. Albeit for a higher price IMO.

And finally, yes Suarez isn't a sociopath. Just a great player who made a lot of questionable decisions during his career in the heat of the moment. Pepe, on the other hand, is a cunt.

And his wife is not from Barcelona, he met her in Montevideo, while sweeping the streets.

You said, lfc wouldnt have sold him if not for wc-stunt, and nothing points in that direction. Suarez was already 1 year longer than he should have been, he had then a gentleman agreement with lfc directors when barca comes knocking, media and management didnt do much to deny anything like in coutinhos case. He was always going to barca that summer (or madrid if he wanted to), lfc probalby only dragged it out to push the price hoping he would deliver wc in wc. But he did the opposite (minus england game) haha. And I dont think you find many people who would agree with you on this matter, but well i have made my points. And im to tired to more research to underline my reasoning.

She isnt? Did live there when suarez was in england? There was something about barcelona and his wife.

Edit 2:
while sweeping the streets. - is this true? :lol:

Last edited:

FCBfan22

You said, lfc wouldnt have sold him if not for wc-stunt, and nothing points in that direction. Suarez was already 1 year longer than he should have been, he had then a gentleman agreement with lfc directors when barca comes knocking, media and management didnt do much to deny anything like in coutinhos case. He was always going to barca that summer (or madrid if he wanted to), lfc probalby only dragged it out to push the price hoping he would deliver wc in wc. But he did the opposite (minus england game) haha. And I dont think you find many people who would agree with you on this matter, but well i have made my points. And im to tired to more research to underline my reasoning.

She isnt? Did live there when suarez was in england? There was something about barcelona and his wife.

Edit 2:
while sweeping the streets. - is this true? :lol:

AFAIK, her father was a banker and her family moved to Italy and then to Barcelona for business reasons. Suarez was determined to follow her and the rest is history.

Home of Barca Fans