Luis Suárez

tacticvarium

Aye.

The classic "any decent striker would be better" argument.

Wonder what the excuses will be for Lautaro next season when he struggles to match even half of this crocked Suarez's output. The forum reaction will be an interesting dynamic without a doubt and should be taken up as a case study on hypocrisy and ungratefulness.

Will the rhetoric be "Messi is ignoring him," or "the manager is clueless," or "he is not playing in his best role?" So many options to choose from.

:coffee:

Lautaro WHO? I don't see him as a decent striker at all:lol:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
This is not the point...
If Barca can buy a striker like Lewandowski or a new young prospect like Lautaro or similar, then I agree to sell him, otherwise is better to keep him at least another season.

Depends on Barca strategy, on players available on the market and their price...because we have already understand with Coutinho and Dembele what are the market price!

Okay, that is reasonable.

Tackle

Ungratefulness?

:lol::lol:

Dawg, he isn't Messi, Xavi, or Iniesta - a La Masia, Barcelona only, all time great. We don't owe him any anything beyond the exorbitant amount we do pay him.

Are you telling me there isn't a single young striker/forward you'd take over 33 year old, coming off major knee injury Suarez to start next season at Barca?

Well, yes.

He is not a Messi/Xavi/Iniesta level legend, but he is certainly the next best thing. He joined the club at age 27 with many of his peak seasons already behind him, yet finds himself just a few goals short of entering the top 3 scorers in the club's history. He scored the winning goal in a Champions League Final, contributed massively to many league victories and has firmly established himself as a top 3 Barca striker of all-time at the very least. All this in fewer than 6 seasons.

He was carrying this team single-handedly in attack earlier in the season when Leo was injured/off-form. Who knows how many points we'd be behind Madrid right now if it weren't for him. Yet I constantly see the lad taunted, insulted and spoken about like he is some sort of Sunday league level player. Disgraceful really. He was on pace for over 40 goals and 20 assists this season.

He isn't good enough in the CL knockout stages? Yes, and he deserves his share of the blame, but to be honest which one of our attackers, or players for that matter has consistently excelled in that competition as of late?

I would of course take many young strikers over him for the next half-decade and onward from purely a logistical point of view. How many am I confident can match his output for next season however is a totally different question. Other than Mbappe I am drawing blanks. Who knows, maybe someone comes in and hits the ground running, but it is far more likely that he struggles and is displaced by a 34 year old Suarez in the starting XI.

We may not see a striker of his calibre play for Barca again in the next half-century. You only know what you're missing when it's gone.

Last edited:

tacticvarium

Who do you see as a decent striker we can sign then?

Actually no one. IMO this is the worst period in terms of future talents. Football has never experienced this level of lack of talent at least since the 70s. 100M+ for this nobody is an insult to past players.
I understand that many big clubs are looking for future #9 and there aren't many good options hence that led to the current price but he isn't worth the price and nobody is in the current market.

LABarcaFan

Today, Feb.17/2020 The Spanish Royal Football Federation granted Barcelona's request to sign new player outside of the transfer window. Barcelona has 15 days to do so.
Unfortunately, at the same time with this news we have heard another one that Bartomeu is very close to pay 18 million euro ( the release clause) for Legane's centere forward Martin Braithwaite. In 24 matches he has 6 goals, 1 assist , which makes 1 goal in every 4 games. And they are ready to get this guy.

There are also rummors circulating in Britain that Barcelona may also consider paying the release clause of about one (1) million euro for Real Zaragosa's center forward LUIS SUAREZ (22y.o.)
He signed on loan for Zaragosa from Watford this summer. Luis Suarez is Colombian, but he also has Spanish citizenship as well. For 26 matches with Zaragosa, he has scored 15 goals and also has 3 assists.
Obviously, the release clause of 1.0 mil. euro is very low for that kind of player. He has signed with Watford in 2017 and have been loaned to 3 Spanish clubs. But Watford holds his rights and they may ask for bigger release clause. Something in the vicinity of 7-8 million euro may convince them to let him sign with Barcelona.

We have lost one Luis Suarez, but we can get another LUIS SUAREZ for that fantastic price. He is just 22 y.o. and a rising star. Barca should make this signing as soon as tomorrow.

Luis Suarez - Real Zaragosa.jpg

LABarcaFan

The only idiotic thing here is saying Suarez is shit.
Totally unacceptable!

All Barca did awful performances in Turin, Rome and Liverpool...is him the only one guilty?

Is normal reading users who think is better for Barca his absence?
Is right for you?

Look. I am absolutely sure that there is no Barca fan who can deny that Suarez is one of the best strikers in Barcelona history. But he is already 33 y.o. and is not the same player as he used to be. Barcelona is still the greatest club in the World and as such, we have set up our goals very high. La Liga, Copa del Rey, the Champions League, World Club Champions Cup... Luis can not help this team anymore. We can all see that he is struggling. The time has come for him to leave to a lesser level league, if he still wants to play.We will all remember him for his great achievements with Barcelona jersey and be thanksfull for all joyful moments with him.

Asylum15

Suarez has to go - hanging on to what still 'could be' given his past is idiotic.

He's been poor for a long time now, didn't fit in a ''semi'' footballing Valverde team and will NOT fit in a fully fledged possession team under Setien. His awkwardness, poor control and dreadful decision making will hurt us in the long run, not to mention his complete lack of work rate these days.

Some relationships age like wine, some age like cheese - this guy is the latter, we need to let go.

However, we also need to replace intelligently which we haven't a fucking hope of doing with this board so we're fucked both ways realistically.

LABarcaFan

Well, yes.

He is not a Messi/Xavi/Iniesta level legend, but he is certainly the next best thing. He joined the club at age 27 with many of his peak seasons already behind him, yet finds himself just a few goals short of entering the top 3 scorers in the club's history. He scored the winning goal in a Champions League Final, contributed massively to many league victories and has firmly established himself as a top 3 Barca striker of all-time at the very least. All this in fewer than 6 seasons.

He was carrying this team single-handedly in attack earlier in the season when Leo was injured/off-form. Who knows how many points we'd be behind Madrid right now if it weren't for him. Yet I constantly see the lad taunted, insulted and spoken about like he is some sort of Sunday league level player. Disgraceful really. He was on pace for over 40 goals and 20 assists this season.

He isn't good enough in the CL knockout stages? Yes, and he deserves his share of the blame, but to be honest which one of our attackers, or players for that matter has consistently excelled in that competition as of late?

I would of course take many young strikers over him for the next half-decade and onward from purely a logistical point of view. How many am I confident can match his output for next season however is a totally different question. Other than Mbappe I am drawing blanks. Who knows, maybe someone comes in and hits the ground running, but it is far more likely that he struggles and is displaced by a 34 year old Suarez in the starting XI.

We may not see a striker of his calibre play for Barca again in the next half-century. You only know what you're missing when it's gone.

All you have sad here is true. Especially the last sentence. But his time is up and we have to move on. Is Barcelona going to find a better and younger option than Luis Suarez is hard to say, because of the wrong transfer politic of our board. But yes, there are at least 5-6 players that we can consider for his replacement. And Lautaro Martinez is the most likely name for commercial purposes. But there is also 22 y.o. guy from Colombia, who happens to possess the same name as the Uruguayan - Luis Suarez from Real Zaragosa in Segunda Division. And we can get this guy for less than 10 million.

Last edited:

Messi983

Well judging by the past five years, Barca can't sign anyone that's decent. But they can throw hundreds of millions of dollars in the trash like it's nothing.

FDJ, Arthur, Vidal, Semedo, Umtiti, Digne, Cillessen were not decent signings?

Today, Feb.17/2020 The Spanish Royal Football Federation granted Barcelona's request to sign new player outside of the transfer window. Barcelona has 15 days to do so.
Unfortunately, at the same time with this news we have heard another one that Bartomeu is very close to pay 18 million euro ( the release clause) for Legane's centere forward Martin Braithwaite. In 24 matches he has 6 goals, 1 assist , which makes 1 goal in every 4 games. And they are ready to get this guy.

You have to consider in what kind of a team he's playing. Leganes have scored only 18 goals and Braithwaite has 33% of them. He's more important for them than Messi is to us in that regard.

There are also rummors circulating in Britain that Barcelona may also consider paying the release clause of about one (1) million euro for Real Zaragosa's center forward LUIS SUAREZ (22y.o.)
He signed on loan for Zaragosa from Watford this summer. Luis Suarez is Colombian, but he also has Spanish citizenship as well. For 26 matches with Zaragosa, he has scored 15 goals and also has 3 assists.
Obviously, the release clause of 1.0 mil. euro is very low for that kind of player. He has signed with Watford in 2017 and have been loaned to 3 Spanish clubs. But Watford holds his rights and they may ask for bigger release clause. Something in the vicinity of 7-8 million euro may convince them to let him sign with Barcelona.

We have lost one Luis Suarez, but we can get another LUIS SUAREZ for that fantastic price. He is just 22 y.o. and a rising star. Barca should make this signing as soon as tomorrow.

We can't sign Suarez because he's officially owned by Watford who we should be negotiating with. Zaragoza can't sell him to us and even if they could why would they do this when they can't replace him. They are 2nd in Segunda and want to be promoted so selling their best striker wouldn't make any sense.

Also, just curious you how many times did you watch Braithwaite or that other Luis Suarez play?

Giginho75

Look. I am absolutely sure that there is no Barca fan who can deny that Suarez is one of the best strikers in Barcelona history. But he is already 33 y.o. and is not the same player as he used to be. Barcelona is still the greatest club in the World and as such, we have set up our goals very high. La Liga, Copa del Rey, the Champions League, World Club Champions Cup... Luis can not help this team anymore. We can all see that he is struggling. The time has come for him to leave to a lesser level league, if he still wants to play.We will all remember him for his great achievements with Barcelona jersey and be thanksfull for all joyful moments with him.

I can understand your speech if he was playing a bad season before injury, instead I think he was doing well, in LaLiga and UCL.

Clearly time goes by for each of us and Barca has to find, soon or later, his substitute, also because now we don't know his phisical shape when he will return.

No easy to find a striker like Suarez (my personally opinion), then, for the moment, we have to wait for his fast return.

Real Benzema
City Aguero
Bayern Lewa
Liverpool Firmino
Psg Cavani

As you can see, top clubs keep their strikers for a long time because is not so easy to find others like these.
The same thing for Barca.

LABarcaFan

FDJ, Arthur, Vidal, Semedo, Umtiti, Digne, Cillessen were not decent signings?

You have to consider in what kind of a team he's playing. Leganes have scored only 18 goals and Braithwaite has 33% of them. He's more important for them than Messi is to us in that regard.

We can't sign Suarez because he's officially owned by Watford who we should be negotiating with. Zaragoza can't sell him to us and even if they could why would they do this when they can't replace him. They are 2nd in Segunda and want to be promoted so selling their best striker wouldn't make any sense.

Also, just curious you how many times did you watch Braithwaite or that other Luis Suarez play?

Wait. Wait. I believe in the RFEF rules it says that we can sign a player outside of the transfer window but he should be playing in the Spanish system. Real Zaragoza plays in Segunda division of Spain. Yes, Watford owns his rights and we can negotiate with them for the buy-out clause. Just keep in mind that in the last 4-5 years, Watford has consistently sending L.Suarez on loan to other clubs. They are not one of the Britains richest clubs and for that reason they may like to get some cash ( say 5-6 millions), instead of keeping him in Zaragoza for a low loan fee.
No. I haven't watched neither one of them in a full game. Just reading articles about their current performances and some video clips. I prefer the Colombian guy over Braitwaite.

Home of Barca Fans