Page 94 of 107 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104 ... LastLast
Results 1,396 to 1,410 of 1596

Thread: 9 - Luis Suárez

Gemusesuppe
    Think Alba can play as LB/LW, Suarez will just be playing as a striker but maybe a little on the left.

I havent seen a single person ever advocating for not playing with anyone on the left until we started doing it. And I dont know any other team that does it either. Reminds me of people who thought it would be a good idea to play 3-4-3 without full backs like we did a few times in order to fit the stars into a system, even though no team does that either.
    Last edited by Jombi; 13th September 2017 at 07:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jombi View Post
    So who will play on the left if not Suarez then? Messi is playing in the middle, Suarez is playing on the left. Talk about "he is not playing as left winger" is just silly semantics, he is our player on the left, whatever you want to call the out of position that he plays.
    He's playing on the left but not as a traditional winger, know the difference. You assumed that he'll be playing there for the whole season when we just started our season. We still don't know what's the best formation as Valverde will still experiment and discover more as the season goes.

Quote Originally Posted by aaron101 View Post
    He's playing on the left but not as a traditional winger, know the difference. You assumed that he'll be playing there for the whole season when we just started our season. We still don't know what's the best formation as Valverde will still experiment and discover more as the season goes.
    labels like left winger and left forward are just labels. It doesnt mean we play with traditional wingers. Suarez also used to play on the right wing when he arrived. Was he playing as a "traditional right winger"? Of course not. I thought this was obvious.

Under the assumption that Messi will play in the middle, Suarez playing as a LW (its a label, dont get worked up!) is a disaster waiting to happen and will render our left side totally useless.

It's only a few games into the season but so far our left side with Alba playing very offensive seems anything but useless.

That said I don't believe Suarez will really play whole season as left forward/winger. It's still early and Valverde is trying out different things. For now I think he'll let Dembele on the right side to build a chemistry with Semedo and them helping out each other but once both of them are more adapted to the team and if Semedo alone will bring enough offensively (which I think he could) it's also possible that Dembele will move to the left wing (or even to the middle with Messi drifting wide) during the games. It will also depend on opponents as I believe Valverde won't stick to the same tactics and will try to look for better matchups. So if opponent will have a good defensive RB and a weaker LB then he'll try to overmatch their left side with playing both Alba and Dembele there while letting Semedo 1 on 1 with their LB. Of course he could also get a help from Messi on the right wing as I believe if/when Semedo will gain Messi's trust he could also stay more on the wing position like he did in Alves years.

I also believe we'll eventually start to play 4-2-3-1 in some games with Messi, Suarez, Dembele and Deulofeu/Denis playing at the same time. But before that happens I think Valverde will try to find out a perfect partner for Busquets in midfield between Rakitić, Roberto and Paulinho.

Regardless of where he plays, it doesn't excuse the fact that every one of his touches results in a loss of possession. Just because he's/was a world class player, doesn't mean he gets a free pass for playing subpar for as long as he has. Somebody please jog my memory, when was the last time he actually played to his capabilities? With the countless amount of opportunities he's been given, sure, he'll score every now and then. His link up play as been dreadful, dribbling equally as bad, and finishing is not up to the standard you'd expect from "the best striker in the world".

Look, I love Luisito as much as the next guy, but at what point does it go from "bad form" to just him declining?

How the hell did this guy forget to play football? Mathieu had a better first touch

He didn`t forget how to play football. He`s always trying for a one-touch quick pass and that`s why he misplaces so many of them. I get why he tries that, but he should sometimes hold up that ball and look for a better solution.

Two biggest problems in our build-up are him not holding the ball sometimes and Rakitic, who is often too affraid to turn around and bring the ball forward when he receives it in midfield.

Not worried about his first touch, it's just the player he is. Even when he was in great form he had games when he couldn't stop the ball, with a lot of bad passes and missed sitters but then he pulled a goal out of nowhere or gave a great assist. It's obvious he's not at his best and hasn't been for a while but he still had some nice linkup plays with Messi where he shows he didn't forget how to play football. I think both Messi and Suarez (especially him who needs more space than Messi) are still missing Neymar as he was drawing attention of defenders and gave them a bit more space to work with. Hopefully Dembele can start doing the same soon.

It's possible he's declining but I don't believe he's done yet. He can still give us a great season or two. Just look at what level Aduriz performed at his age 33-35 under Valverde's guidance. I believe he'll also find a way to use Suarez and get the best he can still offer out of him.

His first touch has always been a hit and miss. Valverde needs to bench him and play Paco on the next Liga game. I know Paco, is also shit but Suarez needs to understand that he can't just always start after every shit performance.

No, not Paco. Suarez in this bad form of his lately is still twice the better player than Paco. Find someone else to root for.

San Claudio Bravo
    Blog Entries
    This formation shouldn't be a problem for him and is not the reason he's playing poorly.

He's not playing wide, just wider than before. This is not like the false 9 of the past. Messi isn't playing exclusively through the middle with two really wide forwards like under Pep. This formation has Messi playing through the middle with plenty of flexibility for the 3 forwards. They're interchanging and covering spaces left by the other.

Suarez moves right into the middle when Messi drops, moves wider out when Messi comes forward, but never asked to hug the wing and take on players there. Same with Dembele in the opposite side with the added duty of dropping deep into midfield to defend and create.

This is the dynamic I saw in the Juve game.

Messi drops: Suarez moves centrally, gives the entire left wing to Alba and Iniesta to operate in space. This has allowed both Alba and Iniesta to play better and combine. The middle is still circulated by Busi, Messi and Rakitic. Dembele can drop and create, or move centrally and receive depending on situation.

Messi moves forward: Suarez moves wider and either receives in the wider area, waits for overlap from Alba and runs into middle, or passes to Messi hanging back in top of box and moves middle. Either way, he isn't being asked to take on players on the wide area. Only shield the ball, pass and move to middle to receive return. Either of those two choices would yield plenty of chances for him receiving return balls. And in fact it yielded several opportunities vs Juve, one that lead to first goal.

In any case, this position should be more than fine for him to thrive, he just so happens to be in poor form for a while now. His poor form was there when he was playing centrally too.
    In loving memory of the Mathieu Adventure Experience.
    Gone but never forgotten.
    July 2014 - July 2017

http://www.barcaforum.com/blog.php/15731-Sumlit
    http://www.barcaforum.com/blog.php/1...ure-Experience

The fact that he's playing a different position and was recently injured would both be valid excuses if he hadn't been shit for the previous year.

Is Suarez going to have a Henry/Villa role? Because he is nothing like those two players...

Last edited by Xaviniesta; 15th September 2017 at 11:42 AM.