Is the 14/15 formation gone forever ? Will Messi go back to the right wing ?

Vlom

Previously known as Mehssi
Why did we abandon the formation that brought us the trebble ?

I don't mean the 4-3-3 but rather the actual positioning of the players on the field, ever since Messi started drifting to the center, we don't seem to be planning to go back to that setup, and we just seem to be more and more all over the place..

Why do you think Lucho isn't doing something about this ? Messi dictatorship ? Actual tactics change ?

I don't understand what happened, or at least I didn't notice anything that would explain why we switched..

JamDav1982

Why did we abandon the formation that brought us the trebble ?

I don't mean the 4-3-3 but rather the actual positioning of the players on the field, ever since Messi started drifting to the center, we don't seem to be planning to go back to that setup, and we just seem to be more and more all over the place..

Why do you think Lucho isn't doing something about this ? Messi dictatorship ? Actual tactics change ?

I don't understand what happened, or at least I didn't notice anything that would explain why we switched..

Lucho basically says Messi has starting position on right then free role and others like Raki/Suarez/Ney adjust to where he is on park.

Personally I think Messi sometimes drifts more central when he is struggling physically.

Also think other team in 2014/15 were a bit caught out by Barca suddenly playing with Messi on right again and going so early on break when they could.

Other teams have maybe adjusted to it and can stop the counter a bit more or at least slow it down how often it happens. Messi even previously would come central with slower possession and Barca on ball in midfield building it up. Happens more if teams can prevent the break.

My guess is Lucho knows this and these fucked up formation is his attempt to find alternatives.

Vlom

We would have noticed other teams adjusting to it no ? I mean at least to me it seems like we went there out of the blue and stayed there ..

We even played that same setup for a long stretch of 15/16, up until that cursed april month where everything went tits up, which is coincidently also the time where we were all wondering why Messi was starting to play more centrally.

The physical struggle might be an explanation, but then why not just do it in easier game and go back to the gala formation for Tier 1 games ? :/

I am honestly afraid for this season, we were already shaky during the end of last, and all these new additions and how Lucho will handle them is kinda scary based of what we've seen so far of 16/17

JamDav1982

We would have noticed other teams adjusting to it no ? I mean at least to me it seems like we went there out of the blue and stayed there ..

We even played that same setup for a long stretch of 15/16, up until that cursed april month where everything went tits up, which is coincidently also the time where we were all wondering why Messi was starting to play more centrally.

The physical struggle might be an explanation, but then why not just do it in easier game and go back to the gala formation for Tier 1 games ? :/

I am honestly afraid for this season, we were already shaky during the end of last, and all these new additions and how Lucho will handle them is kinda scary based of what we've seen so far of 16/17

Atletico had adjusted to it by time CL came round last season and the league game against them last season was very tight. Even this season they drew 1-1. In that first game Messi went RW against them they were all over place and didnt know how to cope with front three.

Even Real clearly use Marcelo to try and dominate the right hand side and let Ronaldo go central more. Valencia beat Barca in Nou Camp by doing same last season.

Teams always adjust there is not a formation or style that has ever bypassed that. They have defintely become more aware of Barca on the break and the way MSN want to play on break.

Messi was playing more central long before that poor run later in season. In that poor run he looked fucking shattered that all def played a part.

Vlom

Hmm... so this means the experiments will live on to try and find a new winning combo ?

Gives me chills.

JamDav1982

Hmm... so this means the experiments will live on to try and find a new winning combo ?

Gives me chills.

Or he will realise he is over thinking it and play 4-3-3 with Messi starting on right and accept other teams are more aware but can beat them.

Messi coming more central helps him and Suarez combining but maybe leaves Ney with a bit less space as opposition defence less stretched and game more narrow.

I thought he may have tried Messi as a ten with two more sitting midfielder and a RW that can match Marcelo workrate etc. Not sure have players to do that though. Maybe Denis on RW? Not sure. Raki/Busi deeper maybe but that could meaning dropping Iniesta which wont happen.

Last edited:

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
[formation=barca,8]
ter Stegen
0-Pique-0-Mascherano-0-Umtiti-0
0-0-0-0-0-0-0
Roberto-0-Rakitic-0-Busquets-0-Alba
0-0-0-0-0-0-0
0-0-0-Messi-0-0-0
0-Suarez-0-0-0-Neymar-0
0-0-0-0-0-0-0
[/formation]

Iniesta the supersub or at least start rationing his minutes more.
Mascherano bringing the ball forward, pressing block in midfield and free role for Messi.

Home of Barca Fans