Christian Mate Pulisic

oneirophobos

Except Maldini's grandparents were forced to change their surname.

Fun fact: My Slovenian grandparents were forced to do the same under the Nazi law and to this day my surname remains in its bastardised version (it was under Fascist law in Paolo's grandparents' case since Slovene Riviera was occupied by ITA not GER).

Messi983

Nice. But I'm affraid it is just a selling price raising. BVB must sell all the time... sadly.

Maybe I've misunderstand you but I don't think they must sell (out of financial reasons) to "survive" like most of other (smaller than BVB) clubs have to do.

I think they just prefer to sell players like Götze and Hummels (they were both sold for their buy-out clause IIRC so not much they could do to keep them anyway) that don't want to be there anymore? (which is good IMO because there is nothing worse for a team chemistry than keeping an unhappy player).

Mkhitaryan and Gündogan also both wanted to leave and Lewa left on a free transfer (because they prefered to keep him for his last season instead of selling him a summer before; don't know how smart that was financially but if anything this shows that they don't always have to sell their best players when they don't want :)). Other than that I don't remember a case where they had to sell an important player over the last 4 or 5 seasons.

While it's true they can't financially compete with Barça, Madrid, PSG, Bayern and top EPL clubs I don't think they really have to sell their best players until they can keep them happy. But if some club will come with a crazy offer like 70 or 80M for Aubameyang of course they'll likely sell him. That's what any financially responsible team outside of the mentioned top 7/8 teams in the world who can afford to reject those kind of offers for their best players would do. And while Auba is a great player he'll also turn 28 this year and his game is based on speed so who knows what will happen with him in 2-3 years when he'll probably physically decline and lose that speed.

For other young players they bought over the last year and half (or their homegrown players like Pulisic and Passlack) I believe they can keep most of them together if they'll develop well individually and as a team so they could possibly challenge Bayern in BL and maybe with some luck even be a serious contender in CL in 2-3 years. But again, if some club will come with 50 or 70M offer for Dembele or Pulisic it will be hard to turn them down. But whenever they'll sell it will be most likely under their conditions.

JerseyAddict

Maybe I've misunderstand you but I don't think they must sell (out of financial reasons) to "survive" like most of other (smaller than BVB) clubs have to do.

If I remember correctly Bayern bailed them out around 2004 when they were like bankrupt. I know that it was a little help, around 2mil and it was like a drop in the sea... nut the fact is that they always had to sell. For some reason.

Mkhitaryan and Gündogan also both wanted to leave and Lewa left on a free transfer (because they prefered to keep him for his last season instead of selling him a summer before; don't know how smart that was financially but if anything this shows that they don't always have to sell their best players when they don't want :)). Other than that I don't remember a case where they had to sell an important player over the last 4 or 5 seasons.

But then why they did not keept them with bigger salaries etc? OK Lewa was a kind of bitch forsing himself out...

For other young players they bought over the last year and half (or their homegrown players like Pulisic and Passlack) I believe they can keep most of them together if they'll develop well individually and as a team so they could possibly challenge Bayern in BL and maybe with some luck even be a serious contender in CL in 2-3 years. But again, if some club will come with 50 or 70M offer for Dembele or Pulisic it will be hard to turn them down. But whenever they'll sell it will be most likely under their conditions.

But the do that all the time. As soon as someone pops out they already sell them... As long as I remember... but still, I don't live in Germany and don't realy follow them 24/7.

BerkeleyBernie

Looks like the first real technical talent for USA since Dempsey. Will easily surpass Michael Bradley. Will be interesting to see how he does surrounded by typical USA "athletes."

Co0ter

Looks like the first real technical talent for USA since Dempsey. Will easily surpass Michael Bradley. Will be interesting to see how he does surrounded by typical USA "athletes."

Not too hard to surpass Bradley, he had one mediocre tournament and has been absolute garbage ever since. Even at Roma, he played like half a good season. Every time he's in the US starting line up my friends and I get ready to count how many times he passes the ball directly to the other team while not under pressure, or when he misplaces a 5 yard pass. It's actually a drinking game, and we get pretty damn drunk.

Blaugrana Man

He was dominant last night against Honduras.

At his age, its all hype and conjecture, but when he's on, he's a very good player.

El Flaco

Did anyone here watched USA vs. Trinidad and Tobago from today?

Just saw on Livescore that Pulisic scored 2 goals against

Aside that, can anyone tell about Pulisic's overall performance?

BerkeleyBernie

Christian Pulisic

This teenager deserves a thread. Already a starter for Dortmund and produced a fine goal and perfect assist on Bundesliga's 2017-2018 opening day. Barring career-threatening injury, likely to become USA's best outfield male player to date.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Pulisic

Christian Mate Pulisic (Croatian: Kristian Mate Pulišić) born September 18, 1998) is an American professional soccer player who plays as an attacking midfielder or winger for Borussia Dortmund in the German Bundesliga as well as the United States national team. Pulisic is considered by many to be the top American soccer prospect, and is the youngest player to represent the senior national team in a FIFA World Cup qualifier. His rapid rise with the U.S. youth national teams has been mirrored by his rapid rise through the Borussia Dortmund academy, where he played just 15 games before being brought into the first team during the 2015–16 winter break.

In April 2016, he became the youngest foreigner to score a goal in the Bundesliga. Later that month, he became the youngest player to ever score two goals in the Bundesliga. On May 28, 2016, he scored in an international friendly against Bolivia to become the youngest player in the modern era to score a goal for the United States at 17 years 253 days old. On September 2, 2016, he became the youngest American player to score a goal in World Cup qualifying history at 17 years, 349 days.

Home of Barca Fans