Cycling

Sergio

Sergison
so I have ran 6 marathons and 1 50k since dec 2010 and I want to start cycling bc it is so hot here (and perhaps with an iron man in mind someday) I got a bianchi bike and Am looking for any advise anyone (sergio) can give a newb... thanks in advance i welcome any help

Good going man, great sport to get into. :)

Though dont you live in Florida, so its real flat? Its kinda a shame to not have the ascending and descending aspects if you do. But flat is still good for fast/shorter pace runs like time trials. Bianchi is a decent bike also, which model exactly did you get? I have to be honest and say I always preferred Pinarello, but for starting out a Bianchi is still much better than most novices start with. I think the most important advice for starting, if you didn't already is to get the bike correctly adjusted to your body, by a pro mechanic. Dont try it yourself, because just going by what you think is comfortable isn't correct, it needs to be sized to make sure you are in the proper riding position. Also, try and joing a racing club, they will know the routes that are best in your area, and help you with your positioning technique. Other than that, just don't over do it too fast. Its not so bad for you with long distance running also, but remember distance cycling puts more cardiac strain than any other sport, you will need to build up a stamina for it, don't try and do it all from the very start.

DucdeOrléans

I'll give this thread a massive bump by reminding everyone Paris-Roubaix is currently underway.

And WHAT a race that was from Tom Boonen. He also equalled Roger De Vlaeminck's record of 4 Paris-Roubaix wins.

He is far from my favourite racing cyclist but considering how much he has struggled outside the sport and during races in recent years, I can only give respect for that performance today.

I am sure Belgium is enjoying the triumph today.

BTW: His French is pretty funny/epic - must be the Flemish accent that does it.:lol:;)

DucdeOrléans

Congrats to Wiggins.

First Tour de France win (biggest race in the world) for an Englishman.:)

Wiggins is a pretty boring rider but well done. Froome was better in the mountains and had he been the captain instead I believe he could have won it. Only Wiggins was better in the two individual time trials.

Home of Barca Fans