Jasper Cillessen

akaranzo

based on that it looks like were going from having 2 great goalkeepers Mat and Bravo to having 2 below average ones Jaspar and Matip in just 1 year.

Your comment makes 0 sense. First of all Masip* not Matip. Second of all did we lose Ter Stegen? No dude, he's our main goalkeeper now, Cillessen is the back up who will play Copa del rey games, what's so bad about that? Bravo and MatS both wanted to be full time #1 goalkeepers, we had to choose one of them and the club made the right choice by going with the younger GK, Bravo was fantastic for us but it's time to move on.

Trickykid

Your comment makes 0 sense. First of all Masip* not Matip. Second of all did we lose Ter Stegen? No dude, he's our main goalkeeper now, Cillessen is the back up who will play Copa del rey games, what's so bad about that? Bravo and MatS both wanted to be full time #1 goalkeepers, we had to choose one of them and the club made the right choice by going with the younger GK, Bravo was fantastic for us but it's time to move on.

Don't mind him. He's often... confused about football related matters.

oneirophobos

Only in this forum are people mad when club buys a good goalie. This makes no sense at all.

It makes perfect sense when the sole root of all problems we had with our goalies for the past 2 years is that we signed two competitive and quality players at the same time who both wanted and deserved a bigger amount of matches than they could get because the other player was in the same position. Tell me then, what's the point of weakening our squad by selling Bravo if the club doesn't commit to the choice they've made (so, take a chance with ter Stegen as our first choise for the next 10 years over Bravo and stop hindering the fulfilment of his potential) but instead brings in a Dutchman who is only 3 years older than MAtS and has no intention of being benchwarmer? We're right back to square one, in for another few stressful seasons full of tension over the division of playing time between the goalies - so same problems, only with lesser quality this time. Bravo/MAtS were at least equal competitors, Cillessen is no match for either and if he gets CdR I'll be annoyed as hell. Stop with the damn goalie rotations already! Unless the German loses a foot and at least four fingers, I don't wanna see Masip or this guy anywhere near the pitch. :shakeshead:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
What's so bad about him getting the CDR and 4-5 more LL/CL games a year?

MAtS would still be undisputed #1 playing in the League and CL.

I don't think Cillessen will stay here for many years if his role is limited like that, but I don't think it'll be that much of a problem either as it was with the Bravo/ter Stegen roles.

The problem with both Bravo and ter Stegen was that both had big suitors and both were ready to move elsewhere even if it was a downgrade from Barca. It's unlikely Cillessen would've moved from Ajax to any top team had we not swooped in. Apart from being linked to Man Utd as a potential DDG replacement, mostly due to Van Gaal, I don't think there's been that much interest for him from top teams or former giants trying to get back in the limelight again.

Even if it's a limited role, I can see him staying for three seasons or so without making a big fuss. It'll be a different challenge for him, with a new nice city to live in too. And if he's the best Dutch GK, then he definitely can keep his NT place too. The likes of Romero has done well in major competitions while being complete bench warmers, so that's no hinder to National Team success.

Last edited:

Trickykid

It makes perfect sense when the sole root of all problems we had with our goalies for the past 2 years is that we signed two competitive and quality players at the same time who both wanted and deserved a bigger amount of matches than they could get because the other player was in the same position. Tell me then, what's the point of weakening our squad by selling Bravo if the club doesn't commit to the choice they've made (so, take a chance with ter Stegen as our first choise for the next 10 years over Bravo and stop hindering the fulfilment of his potential) but instead brings in a Dutchman who is only 3 years older than MAtS and has no intention of being benchwarmer? We're right back to square one, in for another few stressful seasons full of tension over the division of playing time between the goalies - so same problems, only with lesser quality this time. Bravo/MAtS were at least equal competitors, Cillessen is no match for either and if he gets CdR I'll be annoyed as hell. Stop with the damn goalie rotations already! Unless the German loses a foot and at least four fingers, I don't wanna see Masip or this guy anywhere near the pitch. :shakeshead:

Except that all of the above is pure conjecture, as you and I both (or anyone else in here for that matter) know nothing about what Cillessen has been promised or not been promised in regards to playing time. I really don't get your problem with him playing the CdR (if that ends up being the case). We did that before Bravo/MAtS, and while you can argue the merit of Pinto playing at all back then, I'm pretty sure that Cillessen is the better keeper between the two, easily.

If, and that's a big if, as I see it, Lucho decides to continue his system from the past two seasons, I'll start to get worried too. However, I'm sure Lucho is smart enough to end it abruptly, if Cillessen turns out as horrible as you claim to know him being.

oneirophobos

Except that all of the above is pure conjecture, as you and I both (or anyone else in here for that matter) know nothing about what Cillessen has been promised or not been promised in regards to playing time. I really don't get your problem with him playing the CdR (if that ends up being the case). We did that before Bravo/MAtS, and while you can argue the merit of Pinto playing at all back then, I'm pretty sure that Cillessen is the better keeper between the two, easily.

If, and that's a big if, as I see it, Lucho decides to continue his system from the past two seasons, I'll start to get worried too. However, I'm sure Lucho is smart enough to end it abruptly, if Cillessen turns out as horrible as you claim to know him being.

Honestly, where on Earth did you get that from? Don't put words into my mouth like that. At no point did I claim he's horrible unless that's the giant conjecture you've made based on me saying Bravo/ter Stegen were equal match while Cillessen isn't on the same level and I'd say that was a mild comment to make, hardly a criticism too since we don't want the same dilemma we had with the previous goalie pair anyhow... :confused: Yes, of course it's a pure conjecture and I'm not trying to pass it as a fact at all, that's why I used the word "IF". I have no idea what the conversations between Cillessen, his agent and Robert/Lucho were like and the reason I got worried is the player stressing his ambition to play a big amount of matches in interviews over and over again, I've stated that (me wondering about the details of discussions we as fans obviously aren't privy to) only maybe 1 or 2 pages back.

No, Cillessen getting CdR wouldn't be the end of the world as we know it but yes I would personally prefer if ter Stegen performed in all competitions though it's unlikely. My entire comment you replied to was my response to a user not understanding why some have a problem with the club signing another young-ish and quality goalie, so I'm not sure why you have a problem with my explanation? That's me describing the worst case scenario to explain why the choice of signing someone that young and with quality that can prompt starter ambitions can be seen as a bad one if we wanted to put an end to the tensions of last couple of seasons, not me stating it's also what is going to happen 100 percent/a FACT. It's not - but it's as if those users were missing in action on this forum for the past 2 years.

Last edited:

Trickykid

Honestly, where on Earth did you get that from? Don't put words into my mouth like that. At no point did I claim he's horrible unless that's the giant conjecture you've made based on me saying Bravo/ter Stegen were equal match while Cillessen isn't on the same level and I'd say that was a mild comment to make, hardly a criticism too since we don't want the same dilemma we had with the previous goalie pair anyhow... :confused: Yes, of course it's a pure conjecture and I'm not trying to pass it as a fact at all, that's why I used the word "IF". I have no idea what the conversations between Cillessen, his agent and Robert/Lucho were like and the reason I got worried is the player stressing his ambition to play a big amount of matches in interviews over and over again, I've stated that (me wondering about the details of discussions we as fans obviously aren't privy to) only maybe 1 or 2 pages back.

No, Cillessen getting CdR wouldn't be the end of the world as we know it but yes I would personally prefer if ter Stegen performed in all competitions though it's unlikely. My entire comment you replied to was my response to a user not understanding why some have a problem with the club signing another young-ish and quality goalie, so I'm not sure why you have a problem with my explanation? That's me describing the worst case scenario to explain why the choice of signing someone that young and with quality that can prompt starter ambitions can be seen as a bad one if we wanted to put an end to the tensions of last couple of seasons, not me stating it's also what is going to happen 100 percent/a FACT. It's not - but it's as if those users were missing in action on this forum for the past 2 years.

Pardon me for mistaking this for a stab at Cillessen's lack of quality:
...Cillessen is no match for either and if he gets CdR I'll be annoyed as hell. Stop with the damn goalie rotations already! Unless the German loses a foot and at least four fingers, I don't wanna see Masip or this guy anywhere near the pitch. :shakeshead:

I really don't get what the fuss is all about. We need a backup goalie to be om his toes, and letting him play the CdR is a simple necessity.

Well see what Lucho and Unzue has in mind with Cillessen.

oneirophobos

so will he start on sunday?

[TW]768419518360223745[/TW]
Not likely, since it's a league match and if the predicted CdR/LL+CL division of playing time between goalies comes true. I guess Lucho could sub MAtS off in the 2nd half so Jasper gets a proper Camp Nou introduction though, sentimentality and all that? :unsure: He barely trained with our team, that's the thing and I doubt Lucho would just throw him in unprepared like that for the entire 90 minutes when anything could happen. Not fair for the guy either if the quick to judge Spanish press writes him off because of one shaky start too. So I don't think that will happen.

But what I'm really wondering is, was our last game our last goodbye to Claudio? I really wish we did something more and bigger, doesn't feel right after two amazing years with Bravo and MAtS in charge. Maybe on Sunday we'll do a small tribute to both the arriving and the leaving goalie, respectively. That'd be a nice gesture.

USWAY

Yeah I figure CdR matches Cilessen should handle. MAtS should and I think will handle everything else.

barcanuck

Copa Keeper without question. New country, new language. First Copa match is late October. Should be up to speed on all things Catalan by then.

oneirophobos

I watched FCB live training for the last 2 days and Cillessen seems to get along with ter Stegen and Masip great already. That's nice, he obviously can't speak Spanish or Catalan yet but having someone to converse with in English or German will help his transition into the team go smoothly. To be honest, since we know that Masche and Pique are fluent in English (and it's very likely the younger additions to the defense can at least converse in it), I always thought that the language barrier argument between the Bravo and ter Stegen camps on this forum was overplayed and didn't stop until the German carried out an entire presser in Spanish .. which means he had to be speaking in it with the team for way longer before "debuting" it in front of media. Jasper must have gotten the crash course of football-related terms and phrases in Spanish already and now it's just the matter of time he clicks with our team 100%.

Ter Stegen is starting today but even if he's the new Copa keeper, Lucho will probably put him in the game at least weeks before CdR starts to test the things out a bit. October just is too far away.

God Serena

Anyway, I watched FCB live training for the last 2 days and Cillessen seems to get along with ter Stegen and Masip great already. That's nice, he obviously can't speak Spanish or Catalan yet but having someone to converse with in English or German will help his transition into the team go smoothly. To be honest, since we know that Masche and Pique are fluent in English (and it's very likely the younger additions to the defense can at least converse in it), I always thought that the language barrier argument between the Bravo and ter Stegen camps on this forum was overplayed and didn't stop until the German carried out an entire presser in Spanish .. which means he had to be speaking in it with the team for way longer before "debuting" it in front of media. Jasper must have gotten the crash course of football-related terms and phrases in Spanish already and now it's just the matter of time he clicks with our team 100%.

I've been part of the Mats/Bravo debate since they signed and I can count on one hand how many times the language barrier was seriously used as an argument.

Ter Stegen is starting today but even if he's the new Copa keeper, Lucho will probably put him in the game at least weeks before CdR starts to test the things out a bit. October just is too far away.

October is one month away and change, not really that long. I haven't checked our schedule but this early part of the season is important, while Madrid are still winning all their games, we can't risk playing Cillessen in any of them when he hasn't had a chance to adapt. The early copa games will be total walks with a lot of B team players, so he can get his feet under him then.

Home of Barca Fans