Jasper Cillessen

God Serena

And what if mats get injured for one reason or another, and we are in the middle of intense games, u would rather have a really bad
back up keeper, that will ruin all our chances, than having a really good back up keeper, and giving him games here and there to make
him happy and stay, thats just dont make sense at all u know if u look at it for the benefit of the team, not for the benefit of your beloved
ter stegen.

Funny coming from you, considering you take every opportunity to shit on Mats to this day. I'm sure nothing would make you happier than seeing him get arbitrarily dropped.

Jasper is too good of a backup keeper, this much is obvious. But a serious goalkeeper injury is rare. Extremely rare. We're talking maybe once every 3-4 years if we have maximum bad luck. Having a backup goalkeeper who is serviceable is the best bet we have. No other team has two top class keepers where a backup is able to fit in and the team doesn't take a noticeable hit. We had this exact same issue with Bravo, except the time between them was split, and the result was neither one of them was happy.

If Jasper decides he's too good to be riding the bench, he can go. We can find a backup who will do a well enough job in his place. Because in all of Jasper's time here, how good he is has been almost irrelevant because we haven't actually needed him a single time.

Joan

You could argue Bravo and Ter Stagen were close. Mats is clearly better than Jasper so no splitting. But he could get a game or two every now and then. It won't kill Marc.

Kul_z

You could argue Bravo and Ter Stagen were close. Mats is clearly better than Jasper so no splitting. But he could get a game or two every now and then. It won't kill Marc.
a

F no. He can get cup games, but mats should play every single game. We need to build some undisputed players, because when messi leaves we wont have any. And mats is a bright star, with autority that needs to be built. i can only imagine what a boss he would become in couple of years.

Joan

a

F no. He can get cup games, but mats should play every single game. We need to build some undisputed players, because when messi leaves we wont have any. And mats is a bright star, with autority that needs to be built. i can only imagine what a boss he would become in couple of years.
And he'll lose authority if he doesn't play vs Osasuna? I don't really care, tbf, but the boy could get a game or two.

George_Costanza

I think most here base the split model on how previously worked and how other teams are doing it. This is ain't a constitution, we should do what is best for the club. Few games here and there won't harm MATS development or ego.

God Serena

I think most here base the split model on how previously worked and how other teams are doing it. This is ain't a constitution, we should do what is best for the club. Few games here and there won't harm MATS development or ego.

Other teams do exactly what we're doing now.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Other teams do exactly what we're doing now.

Exactly lmao. This is unheard of in Bayern, Atletico, Chelsea, Man Utd and practically every team. Cillessen should be happy he's getting these bench fodder games right now because he doesn't deserve anything more as MAtS is clearly much superior, younger and a potential future Captain.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana

Playing TS is best for the club. That said Jasper is starting today so I don't see why he can't get a game or two now that the league is done.

BarçaBarça

I'm sure Ter Stegen is fine with this - I can't see him lose his World Cup place if Neuer isn't fit, and Cillessen deserves this nice gesture from Valverde.
It seems like he is loyal and wants to stay as well, stuff like this might count towards it. If we can get him to stay for another season, we will have the best GK-options in the world once again!

Joan

I wanted to see this, him starting every now and then, just to keep him fresh and satisfied. Mats has nothing to lose.

Has been solid so far.

Home of Barca Fans