Jasper Cillessen

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
i can't remember the last time this club has held any player hostage

Yeah the club lets a player leave if he want to. If Cillessen decides he want to leave, they'll let him join a club where he can start and probably sign Reina or someone who's a decent player as the next backup.

While Jasper can start for Liverpool or Arsenal I have a feeling those two clubs will try to look for a more high profile GK with WC potential. So he might stay at Barca for a few years. All in all it's a decent situation for him. Decent pay for his workload. Gets to live in a great city. Knows the club will back him fully if ter Stegen is unavailable. And he still starts for the Dutch NT.

Last edited:

BarçaBarça

The club won't even consider letting him leave for less than his release clause of 60m. He's really got no negotiating power if he ever were to decide he wants out, either, as he is just a backup and if he acts out he could lose his Copa spot as punishment.

You're right - I also read reports about the 'release-clause or no deal' stance from the club. I'm fine with both scenarios :)
And as you say, he doesn't have much of a say, but right now for all we know he express that he like it here.

raki

If he wants to leave, which is understandable, pay up 60M.

I would keep him and give him more Liga games.

DonAK

No, he should not play any CL games. He gets the CDR and that's it. It came with the deal he signed.

ter Stegen is a top 3 GK in the World, at worst a top 5 and he should get all the La Liga and CL games like all GKs in his position gets unless people want him to get unhappy.

Porque

The funny thing with Cillesson is that this move to Barcelona has really improved his perception and raised his profile. I doubt many big clubs would have considered him a first team choice before, but now he will surely get some big starting offers.

Our scouting has done a fantastic job with the GK signings strategy. 3 in a row.

If we do let Cillesson go I do hope they got a similar profile goalie in mind who can both step up and can be sold for a profit in the future.

Infact the key is that we can't get complacement, we should go as far as hanging a picture of Pinto in every office so that doesn't happen.

God Serena

You guys are such fanboys that you want to screw over our top 3 in the world goalkeeper out of playing time for an inferior keeper.

What a damn joke. He signed to be the backup and play Copa, so that's what he'll do.

PhilS

If he wants to go, open up the bidding. Time to cash in on this guy. He is way, way too good to be backup keeper for any team.

Barca needs backups like this, who can perform at the world-class level, who can compete for the starting job. This season, Barca had three: Semedo, Dembele and Cillesson. That was not enough, teams like Bayern and RM have more.

Now, you can't keep this quality below the first 11 for long, except for maybe about two outfield players who play pretty much starter minutes. You basically abuse them for maybe two years, playing them some but not enough, and then you have to either move them into the first 11, or let them more on. You don't wait until they are ruined.

So, you bring in new ones, at least a couple every year. Preferably at the Greizman level, or at least that level of potential.

El Guaje

He sure does deserve to play more. Apart from the CDR games i'd give him the UCL group stage games if the 1st place is done and dusted with games to spare. And also i dont think it would hurt MaTS at all if Cillessen got to play every 5th/6th or so league game too.

El Flaco

[tw]993914704346087426[/tw]

Says Cillessen told Barca that he will stay for the next season even though he wants more playing time and has offers from other clubs

DonAK

He'll get the CDR games and that's it.

People saying he should get CL or League games are insane. MAtS is a top 3 or at worst, a top 5 GK in the World. You don't bench someone like that ever in the league and CL unless you want him to get annoyed and leave.

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

He'll get the CDR games and that's it.

People saying he should get CL or League games are insane. MAtS is a top 3 or at worst, a top 5 GK in the World. You don't bench someone like that ever in the league and CL unless you want him to get annoyed and leave.

He shouldn't get CL game, but he should get more games. what is insane is to argue he should get CDR only for 3rd season.
Jasper has played 900 minutes ,less than Bravo (1.005) Ospina (1.730) Caballero (900) Casilla (1.440) for example. all are far inferior keepers.
We had to have the time split with Bravo & MATS, we were lucky with Jasper agreeing his role so far, but we won't get a back up GK of that quality and we don't need to show him the door by giving him very low amount of game time, specially considering there is no guarantee we will reach CDR final again next year.I don't want to be in Bayern situation if MATS gets an injury (like it happened back in 2014 with Valdes), a little sacrifice from MATS should be understandable for him. He won't leave for less 5 games or so for a GK he knows he is very good.

DonAK

He shouldn't get CL game, but he should get more games. what is insane is to argue he should get CDR only for 3rd season.
Jasper has played 900 minutes ,less than Bravo (1.005) Ospina (1.730) Caballero (900) Casilla (1.440) for example. all are far inferior keepers.
We had to have the time split with Bravo & MATS, we were lucky with Jasper agreeing his role so far, but we won't get a back up GK of that quality and we don't need to show him the door by giving him very low amount of game time, specially considering there is no guarantee we will reach CDR final again next year.I don't want to be in Bayern situation if MATS gets an injury (like it happened back in 2014 with Valdes), a little sacrifice from MATS should be understandable for him. He won't leave for less 5 games or so for a GK he knows he is very good.

Bravo, Ospina and Caballero compete in two cups so they cannot be compared. Keylor Navas got injured and didn't play 8 games, that's the reason Casilla has that many minutes.

So no, ter Stegen should play all the CL and La Liga games. Jasper can at most get the one bench fodder CL game and a couple of La Liga games at the end of the season if the league is decided, but nothing more than that.

He won't be happy if you bench him midway in the season, I can guarantee you that. No GK like him would be and you never want to be in a situation where your GK is pissed off because you're cutting off his minutes for a backup for no reason.

Jasper would get nothing more at Bayern or Man Utd or Atletico with GKs like Neuer, de Gea and Oblak there, regardless of how well he does. Simply because that's how it is and how it should be.

MAtS made it clear that he want to play as much as possible and therefore won't accept anyone else limiting his game time. The guy is fiercely ambitious and will never accept sharing La Liga or CL games again with anyone like none of the aforementioned GKs would. This is a guy who knew his value when he told the club to choose between him and Bravo. You don't want a situation like that again. He might not leave, but he definitely might kick up a fuss and I would understand him and back him 100%.

Last edited:

raedkuwait

You guys are such fanboys that you want to screw over our top 3 in the world goalkeeper out of playing time for an inferior keeper.

What a damn joke. He signed to be the backup and play Copa, so that's what he'll do.

And what if mats get injured for one reason or another, and we are in the middle of intense games, u would rather have a really bad
back up keeper, that will ruin all our chances, than having a really good back up keeper, and giving him games here and there to make
him happy and stay, thats just dont make sense at all u know if u look at it for the benefit of the team, not for the benefit of your beloved
ter stegen.

Home of Barca Fans