Jasper Cillessen

FinBarcelonafan

It's kinda weird that he's a starter for Holland and a 2nd GK for us while Ter Stegen is the 2nd GK for Germany and starter for us. We are so lucky to have awesome GKs after Valdes. Bravo - Ter Stegen was an awesome duo for us and now we still have a great duo in Ter Stegen - Cillessen.

Bravo was amazing, but I like this pair better. They seem to be in better harmony, at least for now. I'm sure Cillessen will want to leave at some point, because Steigen is just too good. Cille is very good goalie and he could be top goalkeeper for bunch of teams.

Horatio

You're welcome
It doesn't look like it but in such a situation the keeper has his joints locked in case they do manage to make the save. Not to prevent injury, but to stop the ball from going right through their hand and into the goal. I feel like every young keeper has had a goal go in where they got their hand(s) there, just to see the ball rocket through anyways, and it's a pretty shitty feeling. When you lock your joint like that and make your hand firm the ball is basically hitting a wall, there's almost no way it could injure you.

Interesting. I know you used to play position of keeper so you'd know your stuff, but hearing you say you need to firmly lock it sounds to me the chance of injuring your wrist only increases because most of the force gets absorbed by it and little else.

I know I am prolly wrong though.

Last edited:

God Serena

Interesting. I know you used to play position of keeper so you'd know your stuff, but hearing you say you need to firmly lock it sounds to me the chance of injuring your wrist only increases because most of the force gets absorbed by it and little else.

I know I am prolly wrong though.

Well, you lock your pectoral and shoulder muscle as well. Hold your dominant hand out to the side and press it against a wall as hard as you can. All the muscles you feel tightening up are what the shockwave of the impact is distributed through, and with goalkeeper gloves it's cut even lower as the palms are usually designed to pad the ball. You're actually more likely to get injured if you're not locked when you stop the ball, as the joint doesn't have any support and your wrist will be forced backwards at the speed of the ball.

BarçaBarça

We just can't leave Real alone - now Carvajal doesn't have 'save of the season' anymore..

I'm really happy for him. It is obvious that he can't lay those passes as well as Ter Stegen does, but this game was huge for him: He has played a part in lifting the trophy in the end, I think he can live for that in a while.

Gilberto

I am really happy for Jasper that he finally got his chance to shine. Like Origami said, his biggest weakness is that he doesn't seem to be able to stop penalties. If I remember correctly, all 30 or so penalties taken with him in goal ended up in the back of the net. Funniest thing is that people are still debating who should be Netherlands first goalie...

Horatio

You're welcome
Told SPORT he's not thinking of a summer transfer and plans on staying at Barca for the coming years.

serghei

I think we should reward him with some La Liga games as well, especially if we win it early. Unimpeachable player.

Jakabor

No. Ter Stegen is the better overall player. Not just the better GK, but better football player, which is essential at Barca.

Cillessen should be grateful he is playing. If he wants more playing time he can ask for a transfer. MAtS should always start in the Spanish league and the Champions League.

God Serena

No. Ter Stegen is the better overall player. Not just the better GK, but better football player, which is essential at Barca.

Cillessen should be grateful he is playing. If he wants more playing time he can ask for a transfer. MAtS should always start in the Spanish league and the Champions League.

This. Jasper knew damn well he wasn't going to be playing over Mats, even if so many deluded people here thought he should be. He signed up for a role as backup, that's what he gets. Mats didn't play over Bravo in La Liga unless Bravo was injured, even after he won the damn CL, so why should Jasper get better treatment?

Horatio

You're welcome
They just showed a short interview with him. Named Rakitic as the finest colleague to work with. Said he is a beautiful person.

raedkuwait

This. Jasper knew damn well he wasn't going to be playing over Mats, even if so many deluded people here thought he should be. He signed up for a role as backup, that's what he gets. Mats didn't play over Bravo in La Liga unless Bravo was injured, even after he won the damn CL, so why should Jasper get better treatment?

mmmmmm, so you would rather see him leaving, and us getting a lousy second goal keeper, rather than us giving him a meaningless liga games after the
league is won already to maybe keep him happy and make him stay here?!

God Serena

mmmmmm, so you would rather see him leaving, and us getting a lousy second goal keeper, rather than us giving him a meaningless liga games after the
league is won already to maybe keep him happy and make him stay here?!

If he was unhappy he wouldn't have come in the first place. If he was unhappy he wouldn't be making it a point to make it clear he's happy being second choice every time he's asked. The only ones unhappy with him not playing are you people who want to see him play more. As I said, he knew damn well what he was signing up for.

serghei

If he was unhappy he wouldn't have come in the first place. If he was unhappy he wouldn't be making it a point to make it clear he's happy being second choice every time he's asked. The only ones unhappy with him not playing are you people who want to see him play more. As I said, he knew damn well what he was signing up for.

Chill. Your beloved Stegen would still be first choice.

behindbrowneyes

It's kinda weird that he's a starter for Holland and a 2nd GK for us while Ter Stegen is the 2nd GK for Germany and starter for us. We are so lucky to have awesome GKs after Valdes. Bravo - Ter Stegen was an awesome duo for us and now we still have a great duo in Ter Stegen - Cillessen.

It just reflects the current conditions those two national teams are in atm.

Home of Barca Fans