Jasper Cillessen

raskolnikov

He could easily start for a team like Liverpool. Or Napoli. Maybe can have A swap (plus a little money) for Jorginho + Reina

bodi16

Don't think Jasper is anywhere near Mats.

Of course he isn't on the same level, otherwise he wouldn't accept a bench role, but he's not very far away. Anyway, what i wanted to point out is that if somehow Mats would get injured/suspended, we shouldn't be worried at all about his replacement.

We had two starter-material GKs when we had both Bravo and TS. Now talking about Cilessen, his passing might not be as good as Stegen's, but his interventions are great. And let's not forget Mats wasn't that solid not so long ago. Guy stepped up this season a lot (and the last months of the previous season too), grew in confidence, no more freezing on the goal line, and also had incredible saves.

Nowadays Ter Stegen is one of the best GKs in the world, but i think his starting spot could have been in trouble if we would be referring to his pre-2017 form.

Last edited:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
One thing Cillessen has improved a lot is actually his passing, playing out of the back.

RMU ReBorn

Always wonder about saves like that. Shouldn't it cause a wrist injury?
I had one in my school days . And one of my wrist is still suffering due to that . barely moved my hand for one month or so . Still feel that pain whenever something hard hits my wrist.

FinBarcelonafan

Tbf he had a great save of his own like that with his legs even if the rebound resulted in a goal lol

Yeah that was amazing save, but Cille actually saved the goal. If Steigen gets the rebound it's one of the best saves EVER. Very impressive save as well though.

aaron101

It's kinda weird that he's a starter for Holland and a 2nd GK for us while Ter Stegen is the 2nd GK for Germany and starter for us. We are so lucky to have awesome GKs after Valdes. Bravo - Ter Stegen was an awesome duo for us and now we still have a great duo in Ter Stegen - Cillessen.

God Serena

Always wonder about saves like that. Shouldn't it cause a wrist injury?

It doesn't look like it but in such a situation the keeper has his joints locked in case they do manage to make the save. Not to prevent injury, but to stop the ball from going right through their hand and into the goal. I feel like every young keeper has had a goal go in where they got their hand(s) there, just to see the ball rocket through anyways, and it's a pretty shitty feeling. When you lock your joint like that and make your hand firm the ball is basically hitting a wall, there's almost no way it could injure you.

Home of Barca Fans