Jasper Cillessen

F

Flavia

Yes. A compromise was made where Lucho and Zubi's respective signings were given an imp competition each. Let's say, Zubi was fired just after his appointment of Lucho, do ya still think Lucho would have made a 22year debutant as a CL mainstay? And I'm not convinced about those rumours where MAtS was earmarked for LL before his injury. If it was the case, Lucho would have just brought him in the side as he'd only missed two LL games in neither of which the keeper was much of a factor.

I can't answer that. But I don't think Lucho played MAtS because of Zubi. And why not make Bravo the undisputed number one and sell the german, if he doesn't trust MAtS, then? He could had done that last season already, and MAtS would be the one leaving now.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
See, few people thought Bravo would be this good so why wouldn't we hope Jasper fights for no1 spot.

Antigun

Flavia, I'll quote you here:

Just a thought:
1. we (Barca) agreed to sign Mats during 2013/14 season, while we still had Tata, IIRC
So, Lucho had nothing to do with signing Mats? We picked him way before Lucho.
2. then Lucho came and he asked for another Gk, Bravo, right?
3. after that, between Lucho's pick (Bravo) and board's pick (Mats), Lucho decided to play Bravo as a No1 pick for 2 seasons
------------------------------------------------------
4. now, Bravo (Lucho's pick) left the club and Lucho and Unzue picked a new guy, this time Cillessen
= then, it again seems to some extent, that Cillessen is Lucho's pick, while Mats is still a guy who was came here before him

I'll add one more time to this:
5. Cilless is a Dutch NT starter
6. he is somewhat young, aged 27
7. we paid him more (13+2 Millions) than we paid Bravo (12) and Mats (12) and he is the 7th most expensive Gk ever

When we sum everything (if I made some mistakes here, sorry, my bad), I just don't believe that Cilless came here to be a guy who will play 5 Cdr matches per season.
He is again Lucho's pick, very expensive, young, more experienced than Mats...

I am expecting some sort of rotation again.

If that's the case, then why not keep Bravo, sell TS, and sign Jasper? That way Lucho will have TWO Lucho's Pick GKs instead of only ONE Lucho's Pick GK as it is now :D

zanela

I can't answer that. But I don't think Lucho played MAtS because of Zubi. And why not make Bravo the undisputed number one and sell the german, if he doesn't trust MAtS, then? He could had done that last season already, and MAtS would be the one leaving now.

We don't know what contractual promises were made when MAtS was signed. There was extensive scouting done on MAtS who had Zubi's complete confidence. It's not like he was unknown entity signed on a whim. It became incumbent upon Lucho to then give him a fair chance. And having then entrusted him with the CL, he did prove his worth all the way to the final. No reasonable manager would then sell him. The rotation was part of Lucho's winning formula and he wasn't going to completely discard it. But when push came to shove the board decided to sanction Bravo's departure over MAtS'. (for reasons I have already stated).

Trickykid

[tw]768799569664675840[/tw]
Cruyff - success
Neeskens - success
?
Koeman - success
Witschge - pass (good player, but no room at the time)
Cruyff Jr - flop
Reiziger - pass (solely because of the sheer amount of matches he managed, because he really wasn't very good)
Hesp - flop
Bogarde - flop
Zenden - pass
Cocu - success
Kluivert - success
R de Boer - flop
F de Boer - pass
Overmars - flop
Bronckhorst - success
Davids - success
Van Bommel - pass
Affelay - flop

I've never seen Cruyff and Neeskens play, but it's safe to say that they were both a success, and I haven't got the faintest idea who the third dude is.
7 successes, 6 flops and 5 who just passed the grade in my book.
Any other old-timers out there with any objections to my grades?

F

Flavia

We don't know what contractual promises were made when MAtS was signed. There was extensive scouting done on MAtS who had Zubi's complete confidence. It's not like he was unknown entity signed on a whim. It became incumbent upon Lucho to then give him a fair chance. And having then entrusted him with the CL, he did prove his worth all the way to the final. No reasonable manager would then sell him. The rotation was part of Lucho's winning formula and he wasn't going to completely discard it. But when push came to shove the board decided to sanction Bravo's departure over MAtS'. (for reasons I have already stated).

I don't think the board did anything this time. Bravo pushed to be sold, and MAtS didn't. I think Lucho wanted to keep the rotation for one more season, at least. Maybe roles changed, and Bravo didn't want that.

Messi983

Cruyff - success
Neeskens - success
?
Koeman - success
Witschge - pass (good player, but no room at the time)
Cruyff Jr - flop
Reiziger - pass (solely because of the sheer amount of matches he managed, because he really wasn't very good)
Hesp - flop
Bogarde - flop
Zenden - pass
Cocu - success
Kluivert - success
R de Boer - flop
F de Boer - pass
Overmars - flop
Bronckhorst - success
Davids - success
Van Bommel - pass
Affelay - flop

I've never seen Cruyff and Neeskens play, but it's safe to say that they were both a success, and I haven't got the faintest idea who the third dude is.
7 successes, 6 flops and 5 who just passed the grade in my book.

Danny Muller, he played one season for Barça B.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Muller

BBZ8800

If that's the case, then why not keep Bravo, sell TS, and sign Jasper? That way Lucho will have TWO Lucho's Pick GKs instead of only ONE Lucho's Pick GK as it is now :D

Imo, it's not that simple.
If we were Man Utd with Ferguson who will stay for 20 years, or Arsenal with Wenger, then a coach would be 100% free to decide all transfers.

For example, even with Messi and Ney, it is clear that they will play no matter how bad they play sometimes or if they whine about the coach (both Messi and Ney in 2014 against Lucho).
Further, about Mats, he was obviously board's or Zubi's pick.
We don't know if someone from the board is "in love" with Mats and if he needs to stay and play no matter what (regardless if he plays good or bad) since he is considered by someone as a long term project.
About Lucho, there was a chance that he would quit our team both after his 1st and 2nd season.
So, imagine if the board and a sporting director have built our long term future team around some youngsters (like Mats) and that then we have a coach who will stay here only for 1-2 seasons (we didn't know back then how long will Lucho stay) and that a short term coach ruins board's long term plans with crazy sales and buys.

So, at the end of the day, board usually offers 5-10 names (within our budget) and then a coach picks a player whom he wants.
But imo, in some cases, some transfers and a policy regarding some players are still only board's decision.

I remember a situation from 2006 after we won a CL with Ronaldinho and Etoo.
We had Ronaldinho, Etoo, Guily, Larsson and young Messi.
Larsson said that he will leave the team and we needed a new 4th choice Cf, an experienced guy.

And I remember reading that saga the whole summer on El Mundo deportivo and Sport:
Basically, our coach, Rijkaard wanted Gudjohnsen, because he could play both as a Cf (Etoo's sub) and as a Acm when needed.
Our sporting director back then, Txiki Beguiristain, wanted Diego Forlan and he was saying that we will be much stronger with Diego and that he should be the man.
Plus, our president, Laporta, wanted Thierry Henry, lol.

So, we had a clash of 3 different sides and 3 different opinions. A coach, sporting director and a president.

In the end, they agreed to listen to a coach, Rijkaard, we bought Gudjohnsen, but he never played as well as expected.
While Diego Forlan played and was scoring like a mad man in those days for Villareal (they were strong as Sevilla today).
Then, when Gudjohnsen failed, we again didn't listen to a sporting director Txiki, but a president Laporta bought his "guy" Henry, even though a coach didn't like Henry that much.

So, regarding Mats, we don't know the opinion of the board and sporting director.
If they think that Mats is a long term project, Lucho can't sell him.
in the best case scenario, they will tell him: if you want, buy yourself another guy and then rotate those 2, or something like that.

We still don't have any proofs that Lucho ever planned to play Mats as a No1, nor in a season 2015, 2016 or in 2017.

Koeman - awesome Cb, a lion like Puyol, and on the other hand, a Cb with the best long shot and playmaking skills ever. Also, insane mental strength, this guy was made out of steel, both physically and mentally
Cruyff Jr - poor player. He would never play if he wasn't Johan's son. Given too many credits and chances
Reiziger - meh, too attacking. Aleix Vidal's style.
Hesp - from what I remember, he was ok. We won 2 La Ligas in his first 2 seasons, and then when we started rotate and promote younger Gks like Arnau and Reina, we lost titles, and had 5-6 years of horrible Gks, and we bough 5-6-7-8 Gks in that time (Arnau, Reina, Bonano, Dutruel, Rustu, Enke
Zenden - I loved him, but he was just meh. Ok guy for teams like Arsenal and Liverpool but not Barca's level
Cocu - Raki's style all rounder. A foreigner with a highest amount of matches played if I remember. Never whined, good professionalism and good mental strength
Kluivert - I also loved him when I was a kid, but he just wasn't good enough for us, imo. He scored a lot, but he needed way too many chances to actually score a goal (Cavani's style). He was weaker and weaker in each new season here. Never good enough for a CL winning level, like Etoo or Suarez. Mentally a strange guy, he was a fighting a lot, and he was involved in a lot of scandals, IIrc he had a car accident once where a person died, then some rap*ng allegations. I wouldn't buy him again for Barca...
R de Boer - didn't play at all. Brought here, but we had tons of Cms and he wasn't able to impose himself
F de Boer - about him, I also adored him as a kid and thought that he is one of the best Cbs in the world, but now I think that he was good, but nothing special. He wasn't tall and we conceded tons of goals after crosses and similar due to his height (Masch's style). And since in his era we played even more attacking than now, he had lots of job in defense. Imo, way weaker player than Puyol, Pique and similar Cbs. Even slightly weaker than Masch probably
Overmars - Brought as Figo's successor, but did nothing here. Insane flop
Bronckhorst - very, very good, had great chemistry with Ronaldinho. A good guy, never created problems
Davids - played only for a few Months, but helped our team to return from the bottom of the table into a top 5-6 teams
Van Bommel - ok, hasn't imposed himself as expected
Affelay - flop

Out of curiosity, how would you rotate the two keepers for the current season?

Mats La liga since he is here longer.
Cilless Cdr, CL group stage and weaker La liga matches.
Knockout stage of a CL=who will play better in that moment.

Last edited:

Vlom

Previously known as Mehssi
I reaaally don't get this signing :(

Why bring another young GK that will certainly grow frustrated with lack of playing thus continuing this shitty situation and unhappiness of GKs ?

JamDav1982

I reaaally don't get this signing :(

Why bring another young GK that will certainly grow frustrated with lack of playing thus continuing this shitty situation and unhappiness of GKs ?

The situation at Barca hasnt been shitty at all.

Having a good keeper who maybe gets frustrated every couple of years is surely better than a poorer second keeper that is happy.

opjeoff

If Lucho preferred players he himself signed then he would never get anywhere. Our best players were here before he came, therefore he will play them no matter when they were brought or in our case promoted. Same goes for Mats and Jasper. Good luck man. Now just waiting for the Alcacer transfer to complete an amazing window.

Vlom

Previously known as Mehssi
The situation at Barca hasnt been shitty at all.

Having a good keeper who maybe gets frustrated every couple of years is surely better than a poorer second keeper that is happy.

Diego Alves is not poor by any stretch!

I'd agree with you if second option was some random poor old guy... Diego Alves was perfect for this role, happy to sit on the bench and can be relied upon if ever needed.

Home of Barca Fans