Barca Transfers and Rumors

gregorrin10

griezmann decided not to join us, our priority should be to improving our midfield. we should sign thiago, Frenkie de Jong, lenglet and matthijs de ligt, we should sell gomez, paulinho, vidal, mina, marlon, samper and rafinha

stegan

semedo/roberto pique/lenglet umtiti/de light alba

busquests/rakitic

thaigo/de jong coutinho/alena

messi suarez dembele

You forgot about Vermaelen here. For me there is no need for Lenglet, if Vermaelen is staying, which he is, at least for another year. Not to mention that even if he does get injured again, we could have De Jong as the 4th CB option too. I would get De Ligt before Lenglet, not just because we need a right footed CB more right now, but also De Ligt is that once a generation talent and he would be that someone, who could properly challenge Pique right away, which we badly need, much more than we need someone for challenging Umtiti. And i just don't think Lenglet can realisticly throw Pique out of that RCB position, even more so because he's also left-footed, like Umtiti. So i would wait with Lenglet until next summer, when Vermaelen will probably leave by then. But keep an eye in the mean time on Lenglet, if he can have another good season, but also if someone else breaks out next season. And then decide between Lenglet and them next summer to replace Vermaelen.

Agree with everything else, especially about selling Paulinho this summer already (even though it surely won't happen this summer yet) and getting Thiago AND De Jong, joined by Arthur in January. And then hoping we sell Paulinho at least next summer. The only guy among those you want sold, that i would keep, is Samper, i would give the kid at least one full season in Barca to prove himself, he deserves it, and he's not a lost cause to me yet. And yes, maybe i am sentimental because the kid has been La Masia since age 6 and is probably the closest you can get to a born and bred La Masia player and Cule. But after a few horrible loans at relegation candidates, where he had exactly 0% chance to develop and get used to playing in a system, resembling Barca, i would give him this one season. And if he doesn't take it, we can always sell him on next summer and then promote Oriol Busquets.

Last edited:

Donatello

Why the hell sign a 28 year old for around 80 million Euros.

This is why Barcelona is doing very bad in recent years.

First, you gamble 80 million Euros on a 28 year old.

Suppose, even if he is excellent, you're not going to get a WC midfielder for more than 4 years.

After 4 years, same shit repeats again. You go in the market, looking for a replacement for a player you just signed 4 seasons ago. You keep gambling on another youth, or get another 28 year old for his replacement.

In spite of saving money, you end up paying more than what a young WC MF may cost.

How the hell are you going to get stability if you keep changing players?

Real Madrid buys most players when they are young. So if they are good, they are incorporated in the system from a young age. Plus they serve you for a longer time. Even if they fail, they earn you at least same or bit less money that you spent, because of their young age.

I am not against signing old players, but spending that much on a 28 year old is absolute madness when you already have Arthur, plus alena and Oriol busquets. Instead sign De jong and wait for next year, to see how that turns out.

Last edited:

This is why Barcelona is doing very bad in recent years.

First, you gamble 80 million Euros on a 28 year old.

Suppose, even if he is excellent, you're not going to get a WC midfielder for more than 4 years.

After 4 years, same shit repeats again. You go in the market, looking for a replacement for a player you just signed 4 seasons ago. You keep gambling on another youth, or get another 28 year old for his replacement.

In spite of saving money, you end up paying more than what a young WC MF may cost.

How the hell are you going to get stability if you keep changing players?

Real Madrid buys most players when they are young. So if they are good, they are incorporated in the system from a young age. Plus they serve you for a longer time. Even if they fail, they earn you at least same or bit less money that you spent, because of their young age.

I am not against signing old players, but spending that much on a 28 year old is absolute madness when you already have Arthur, plus alena and Oriol busquets. Instead sign De jong and wait for next year, to see how that turns out.

What?

The likes of Arthur, Alena, Oriol and De Jong are all prospects. High chance all of them flop. Arthur is playing in Brazil, Alena and Oriol were playing in the Segunda division and De Jong plays in the Netherlands.

None of them have shown anything at the highest level. People need to stop hyping all these youngsters up that haven't done anything in Europe's top leagues. Even Dembele who played well in Ligue 1 and Bundesliga is struggling here and people consider him a top 3 talent.

Alena will be lucky to get 500 minutes next season. Oriol will barely make any squads and Arthur will be riding the pine once he arrives in January. We aren't a developmental club to let all these kids into our lineup and make us worse.

Messi doesn't have many years at the top, even if Pjanić is only world class for 4 more seasons 80m will be worth it if he brings us a CL.

These Masia kids aren't good as you guys think. If the likes of Samper, Oriol and Alena were so good they wouldn't be playing in the 2nd/3rd division into their twenties. They would have left to play on a first team somewhere else or they would've forced their way into Valverde's plans.

Messi983

Buying only Pjanić would be wrong and lead to what you've described. But signing him alongside younger players like De Jong, Arthur and promoted Alena is not all that bad and it seems like that's what our current plan is. He would be the one who could help us right away while younger players would develop and at the same time he'd be an insurance policy if some of the youngsters wouldn't reach expectations (which is likely to happen) and we'll have to look for other younger talents in a year or two. 80M seems a lot but that's what 40M was before Neymar's transfer caused 200% inflation on the market. Clubs and players have adapted and we (fans) should do the same.

IIRC many people here wanted to pay 40M for Pjanić two years ago when he went from Roma to Juve (granted he was also two years younger but still). I'm not crazy about Pjanić but he's a very good player and if he can give us 2-3, maybe even 4 good to great seasons and help us win titles in Messi's last peak years then signing him is a no brainer.

That said, I would still prefer Thiago (and I'm not his biggest fan) who is a year younger, knows the club so his adaptation period would be shorter and he would probably also be a bit cheaper if Bayern is really prepared to sell him. I know he's injury prone but if he'd be out for let's say 2-3 months every season that would be a chance for younger midfielders to prove their worth.

Gaudi

Why not?

In other news, MD is reporting that Abidal likes Ferland Mendy to replace Digne if we'll get a good offer for him. Buying a defender from Lyon, what could go wrong here? :)

[youtube]D4bbXPc_4y8[/youtube]

We already have players for La Liga, what I think is we need to change our sytle a bit, add more dynamic and speed, more movement. I see Pjanic as excellent player in some ares but would add nothing in those 2,3 games we tend to lose in recent years.

TitoTata

Banned
Willian linked to ManU for £60 million ..
He'd be ideal for us . I'd suggest he's a big step up on Rakitic for starters
( multiple sources )

Messi983

We already have players for La Liga, what I think is we need to change our sytle a bit, add more dynamic and speed, more movement. I see Pjanic as excellent player in some ares but would add nothing in those 2,3 games we tend to lose in recent years.

I don't disagree but which midfielder (realistically available) would you buy that would bring those things? I think Arthur and Alena will both give us more dynamic and if we'll also get De Jong even better though none of them is likely to be a starter/get much minutes next season. While not a speedster Coutinho is also faster and more mobile than 34 year old Iniesta so this should also help us in that regard.

I think our struggles in away quarter/semifinal CL matches are mostly mental so unless our current key players will change their approach in those games no newcomer could do much to get us through to the final.

MTL_Barca

Willian linked to ManU for £60 million ..
He'd be ideal for us . I'd suggest he's a big step up on Rakitic for starters
( multiple sources )

What does a new RW have to do with Rakitic?

Besides that he's a good player but that's just way too expensive for a soon to be 30yo attacker.

Last edited:

Gaudi

I don't disagree but which midfielder (realistically available) would you buy that would bring those things? I think Arthur and Alena will both give us more dynamic and if we'll also get De Jong even better though none of them is likely to be a starter/get much minutes next season. While not a speedster Coutinho is also faster and more mobile than 34 year old Iniesta so this should also help us in that regard.

I think our struggles in away quarter/semifinal CL matches are mostly mental so unless our current key players will change their approach in those games no newcomer could do much to get us through to the final.

You basically named a few...but it also depends on how you play...L'pool played fast, moving around, dynamic football and we wouldn't take any of their midfielders even if they were for free.
I would rather have Thiago if Thiago-Pjanic dilemma exists. He is also not super fast but he does move and has faster feets.

Home of Barca Fans