Barca Transfers and Rumors

Trickykid

Gameiro and Vietto are far more mobile forwards than someone like Gomez. Who knows if they were our primary targets though. We regularly sign players out of nothing. Sport and MD are by and large pretty clueless.

Sure they are, but they're not wingers by any stretch of the imagination. Adapting to a new position while playing sporadically doesn't sound like fantastic idea to me. With the amount of rumors surrounding those two, I think it's very safe to say that they indeed were our primary targets.

But again, do you have a source for the claim about us looking for a multi purpose striker? I don't recall it.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
Gomez would be very useful at breaking down the teams that allow us to send crosses in to the box (Atleti for instance).

Jombi

Which is fair and square...

However, unless of course you watched every single match Gomez played for Fiorentina, then it ends up sounding somewhat hollow when you yourself can say something like this:

Thats just sillly. You dont have to watch ever game, but if you watch some games and know reputable opinions from people you trust with knowledge, that's far more background to judge someone than just being completely ignorant and having never heard of a player, yet dismiss the player as a useless Douglas based on nothing other than ignorance.

Trickykid

Gomez would be very useful at breaking down the teams that allow us to send crosses in to the box (Atleti for instance).

Yeah, I agree. If he'd be wiling to come on reasonable wages, then he'd be a decent plan b for us.
Next summer we could reevaluate and, according to the progress of Munir and even Mujica, start looking seriously at a future Suarez replacement.

Jombi

Sure they are, but they're not wingers by any stretch of the imagination. Adapting to a new position while playing sporadically doesn't sound like fantastic idea to me. With the amount of rumors surrounding those two, I think it's very safe to say that they indeed were our primary targets.

But again, do you have a source for the claim about us looking for a multi purpose striker? I don't recall it.

We dont play with wingers. We play with forwards, either left or right forwards. I should have said that we SHOULD BE looking for a multi purpose forward. Buying Gomez who will play 5 times a season is a terrible idea. He'll have great difficulties controlling the ball after rotting on the bench for 1 or 2 months and then is thrown into the starting lineup. Much better to have match fit players in such a crucial position as the striker position.

Devils

We are actually looking for someone who can play numerous positions up front because a pure striker will never get enough playing time. Luan is that type of player while Gomez the donkey will play 5 games in total all season if he signs for us and be rusty as hell if he gets to play.

Really? If we were looking for a mobile forward then we would just keep Munir.

We are looking for a pure striker, and Luan does not meet the standards to play that role based on stats alone.

Gomez at least has a lot of credit to his name with his history and just came finished a great season with Bestikas and was very impressive in the Euro. He certainly didn't look like a 'donkey' playing this past year.

At least he has some validity to play the role.

Trickykid

Thats just sillly. You dont have to watch ever game, but if you watch some games and know reputable opinions from people you trust with knowledge, that's far more background to judge someone than just being completely ignorant and having never heard of a player, yet dismiss the player as a useless Douglas based on nothing other than ignorance.

Then don't say that he was shit whenever he played. Simple as that.
About the Brazilian, I haven't read a single positive report about him from people who seem knowledgeable about the league. Never seen him play myself either, but I'd rather not gamble 20m+ on someone like that.

Trickykid

We dont play with wingers. We play with forwards, either left or right forwards. I should have said that we SHOULD BE looking for a multi purpose forward. Buying Gomez who will play 5 times a season is a terrible idea. He'll have great difficulties controlling the ball after rotting on the bench for 1 or 2 months and then is thrown into the starting lineup. Much better to have match fit players in such a crucial position as the striker position.

Semantics. Wingers playing as strikers or strikers playing as wingers doesn't really matter. Neymar in particular has plenty periods where he's basically hugging the wing.
A plan B striker like Gomez would play way, way more than 5 times a season, so I doubt he'd be as rusty as you claim.

Jombi

Then don't say that he was shit whenever he played. Simple as that.
About the Brazilian, I haven't read a single positive report about him from people who seem knowledgeable about the league. Never seen him play myself either, but I'd rather not gamble 20m+ on someone like that.

Dont say Gomez was shit in Fiorentina? He was! You dont have to watch every single game to know that. You just seem to like to nitpick about nothing. He was crap, simple as that. And he'll be crap for us as well.

I dont want Luan either, as I've said, but he is not shit. He is good on the ball, is very mobile, can create and score. You obviously dont know anything about him. He was on the team of the season last year in Brazil and has been very good this year. Of course people who know the league knows this. That doesnt mean he is worth 20m for us though!

Topolino

Gemusesuppe
Top scorers in Campeonato Brasileiro Série A 2016, as of right now:

1. Gabriel Jesus - 19 (Palmeiras -> ManCity, BRA), 10 goals.
2. Diego Souza - 31 (Sport Club do Recife, BRA), 9 goals.
3. Grafite - 37 (Santa Cruz, BRA), 8 goals.
4. Vitor Bueno - 21 (Santos, BRA), 8 goals.
5. Bruno Rangel - 34 (Chapecoense, BRA), 7 goals
6. Robinho - 32 (Atletico Mineiro, BRA), 7 goals
7. Fred - 32 (Atletico Mineiro, BRA), 7 goals
8. Kieza - 29 (Vitoria, BRA), 7 goals.
9. Juan Cazares - 24 (Atletico Mineiro, ECU), 6 goals.
10. Sassá - 22 (Botafogo, BRA), 6 goals.
11. Rafael Moura - 33 (Figueirense, BRA), 6 goals.
12. Neílton - 22 (Botafogo, BRA), 6 goals.

I don't know most of the younger ones, but I'm quite sure there are players who'd fit here. Just got to look carefully.

2015:

1 Brazilian - Ricardo Oliveira - 36y - Santos - 20 goals.
2 Brazilian - Vágner Love -32y - Corinthians - 14 goals.
3 Brazilian - André - 25y - Sport -> Corinthians - 13 goals.
4 Brazilian - Jádson - 32y - Corinthians -> Tianjin Quanjian - 13 goals.
5 Argentinian - Lucas Pratto - 28y - Atlético Mineiro - 13 goals.
6 Brazilian - Henrique Almeida - 25y - Coritiba -> Gremio - 12 goals.
7 Brazilian - Vitinho - 22y - Internacional (still on loan from CSKA Moscow), 11 goals.
8 Brazilian - Willian - 29y - Cruzeiro - 11 goals.
9 Brazilian - Alexandre Pato - 26y - São Paulo -> Chelsea -> Villarreal - 10 goals.
10 Brazilian - André Lima - 31y - Avaí -> Atlético Paranaense - 10 goals.
11 Brazilian - Dudu - 24y - Palmeiras - 10 goals.
12 Brazilian - Erik - 22y - Goiás -> Palmeiras - 10 goals.
13 Brazilian - Gabriel Barbosa - 19y - Santos - 10 goals.
14 Brazilian - Luan - 23y - Grêmio - 10 goals.

No idea why I made this tbf, I was just curious and wanted to write it down...

Trickykid

Dont say Gomez was shit in Fiorentina? He was! You dont have to watch every single game to know that. You just seem to like to nitpick about nothing. He was crap, simple as that. And he'll be crap for us as well.

I dont want Luan either, as I've said, but he is not shit. He is good on the ball, is very mobile, can create and score. You obviously dont know anything about him. He was on the team of the season last year in Brazil and has been very good this year. Of course people who know the league knows this. That doesnt mean he is worth 20m for us though!
Well, no shit :lol: I just wrote that I've never even seen him play. So, let me get this straight; you don't think he is good enough for us, but berate people who feel the same way (but put it more bluntly), and I am the one nitpicking? Gotcha.

Aside from that, Gomez is way better than you give him credit for.

Jombi

Well, no shit :lol: I just wrote that I've never even seen him play. So, let me get this straight; you don't think he is good enough for us, but berate people who feel the same way (but put it more bluntly), and I am the one nitpicking? Gotcha.

Aside from that, Gomez is way better than you give him credit for.

No, I said from the very beginning that he is better than Munir but I dont want us to sign him as I think he is poor value for us. Mocking him as a joke, a douglas, crappy player, yet havent seen him play, this is just ignorance. It has nothing to do with "putting it bluntly".

Gomez is a bad, bad idea for us.

serghei

Someone like Gomez would give us yet another weapon we can use. Teams do crowd the box and allow us to cross the shit out of the bal because they know we don't have a target man. If they do that and we sign a strong no9 who is dominant in the air that tactic could cause problems for teams like Atletico.

We could have used someone like Gomez big time since min. 60 vs Atletico on Calderon.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
The Mario Gomez I know (and loved) is not simply a tall striker who is lethal in the air like Mandzukic (I actually think Mandzukic is better aerially), rather he is good with his feet (which Mandzukic is not) and he links up well with other attacking players, like a poor man's version of Lewandowski if you will.

Home of Barca Fans