Barca Transfers and Rumors

Jombi

We are taking the bet on Alenya and possibly Puig which seems a right thing to do, IMO.

We also need to bolster our midfield IMO. And Rabiot would certainly be a bet as well just like all the midfielders we've signed like Turan, Gomes, Paulinho and Denis. I think Rabiot is a long shot signing at this point. We would have to offer him higher wages than PSG are willing to do. Coutinho shouldnt be playing in a midfield 3 for us and Alena is also very attacking in his style. We need some composure in midfield.

Richard.H

It just amazes me how this board has completely neglected the midfield for the past what, 5-6 years? Did they really think Busquets-Xavi-Iniesta would play until they are in their 40's?

gregorrin10

We are taking the bet on Alenya and possibly Puig which seems a right thing to do, IMO.

Yes it is. BUT they+Arthur are just too inexperienced and shouldn't have to be all that we bet on. It would create way too much pressure on them, that's why the sane thing to do is buy a midfielder like Thiago or Eriksen, a player who is already world class and can really inject quality into the team immediately, but who is also above 25 years old, so he's a (almost) finished product. Alena and Arthur will need at least 2-3 years to become world class, if they make it at all. While Puig is at least 5 years from there. So in my mind that time can be perfectly spent on a 26/27 year old, who can keep our midfield world class until that time. We stroke gold with Coutinho in that regard. But we do need someone else, because we can't expect Rakitić to keep our midfield up for much longer (if he ever did at all). Not to mention Busquets also doesn't have more than 3-5 years at world class level, and that's being generous. So giving a real chance to Samper this season, while buying Frenkie De Jong the next one is certainly the right direction in trying to start to phase out Busquets. And then if Samper doesn't make it, sell him and then promote Oriol, who does seem to have higher ceiling between the two right now anyway.

We need to stop buying mediocre 20-25 something year olds (like Paco, Gomes, Digne) who never looked like they could cut it in Barca even before we bought them. And we already went into buying them with a mind-set of insurance...expecting that when they don't make it, they're still going to be under 27 years old, so they still be easier to sell.

Either buy a more experienced, already world class player, like we did it on Coutinho, who we stroke gold with. And like we have to do with Eriksen or Thiago, or if you decide to buy a young player, really only buy players, who the whole world see that they're going to become world class, and who they show that same thing in Barca after we buy them too, like we did it with Dembele. And like we would do with Mbappe or Sane. Now i'm not saying we should buy exactly these players, but i'm talking about the right profile and finding world class players and world class potential. I think we can all say that Paco, Gomes, Digne, Vidal and Paulinho were never world class, nor did they have world class potential.

And yes, we will have to buy premium price for these kind of players, but at least we'll know we bought someone who can truly make it in this club. Better to buy Eriksen, Thiago or Mbappe (or even Dybala, who will be about as old as Thiago after Messi won't be able to play up front anymore) for 100M+, than to buy 4 or 5 new players like Paco, Gomes, Paulinho and Digne for 20-40M in that time, and paying even more altogether (in this case it's 30+35+40+20=125M), and then sell them after looking them under perform at a level, which is clearly too high for them, while in that time all of our young La Masia talents (like Grimaldo) also leave us, because they don't get enough chances, because we bought 3 or 4 mediocre players instead of 1 world class. So in this case, Digne wasn't necessary, since Grimaldo would stay. Gomes didn't have to be bought, if Samper wasn't sent on two horrible loans to relegation candidates in the past 2 years. Same with Paco and Munir. While Paulinho wasn't necessary in any case for me. So for that 125M we could've bought a world class midfielder to replace Xavi in that time, then Coutinho was brought in as a replacement for Iniesta this year. And we would've had a world class midfield for Iniesta's last years here, we would certainly win a UCL or two in this time and thus Madrid wouldn't be the first team to won 2 in a row, let alone 3. And Samper, Munir and Grimaldo might have been much better than they are now and they would be rotating with Alba, Busquets and Suarez regularly and they might've been ready even to surpass them in the next 2-3 years. While now we have no one to do that, and we (will) have to go out and buy/gamble on new players and spend another 100-200M altogether in the next few years, just to get some quality rotations/future replacements in the team. And this sort of thing is a risk of becoming a never-ending cycle.

So buy a world class player to sort out a position in the first lineup for at least 3-5 years, and then fill the other squad spots with La Masia. That way we have world class first 11, while there is still room for our young home-grown talents in the team to play regularly in easier matches, getting experience and enough play time to develop themselves by the time the bought world class player isn't world class anymore. And again, i'm talking about the buying concept, player names are just my examples.

Last edited:

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
It just amazes me how this board has completely neglected the midfield for the past what, 5-6 years? Did they really think Busquets-Xavi-Iniesta would play until they are in their 40's?

Except...Fabregas, Rakitic, Gomes, Denis just didn't pan out as long term successors. They tried, but failed to renew the midfield due to their selection of players.

FinBarcelonafan

Except...Fabregas, Rakitic, Gomes, Denis just didn't pan out as long term successors. They tried, but failed to renew the midfield due to their selection of players.

and it's not easy to sign great players when you have Iniesta and Xavi taking all the playing time. Of course excuse but there's small truth to it as well.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
madrid manage to sign both modric and kroos and it worked out so well for them. why can't we do anything like that?

Because the board follows another line of thought where attackers > midfield like Brazil 2002. Midfield is there just to provide support so physical players able to impose themselves and play simple passes is how they operate. Problem is of course it doesn't work that well now.

Rosell is afterall a huge Brazil nuthugger and Bartomeu is his puppet.

Inb4 JamDav comes and argues for a million pages for no reason.

FCBfan22

Because the board follows another line of thought where attackers > midfield like Brazil 2002. Midfield is there just to provide support so physical players able to impose themselves and play simple passes is how they operate. Problem is of course it doesn't work that well now.

Rosell is afterall a huge Brazil nuthugger and Bartomeu is his puppet.

Inb4 JamDav comes and argues for a million pages for no reason.

So, I understand it now!

Barto is only preparing the terrain for Rossell once he is released from jail.

DonAK

So, I understand it now!

Barto is only preparing the terrain for Rossell once he is released from jail.

If the Feds in the States don't find someone to snitch on him in their Qatar 2022 FIFA Bribery case. Then he will get extradited.

He won't get out. More so after the revelations that came out two days ago with more evidence against him coming to light with a complex money laundering scheme he created. He's fucked big time.

Last edited:

serghei

That's true sadly. The board has a scattershot approach. They don't actually intensely follow the type of players we need. So our best chance is hoping that among the debris we land 1-2 great players. I have big faith in Arthur. Could be an amazing player for us based on skillset.

DonAK

We cannot just rely on Arthur right now. Besides Gremio are adamant there's no way they'll let him go before January unless Barca pay 10m more which they won't do.

Bayern will sell Thiago for the right offer. If he's available for 50-60m, they absolutely have to get him. Do that and go back to a 4-3-3 instead of this 4-4-2 rubbish.

Home of Barca Fans