Barca Transfers and Rumors

Co0ter

I think the blame is mostly on Lucho. Send out Munir then replace him with someone worse for 30mil. Signing of Gomes, who lacks both the physicality and skill to play the way we need him to play..in Lucho's own system. Continuing to play Roberto as RB...how do you replace Alves with that is beyond me.

His ability to never, ever play different or change tactics isn't a surprise considering his player choice is awful on top of it. MSN carried him to his titles. That is all.

JamDav1982

I think the blame is mostly on Lucho. Send out Munir then replace him with someone worse for 30mil. Signing of Gomes, who lacks both the physicality and skill to play the way we need him to play..in Lucho's own system. Continuing to play Roberto as RB...how do you replace Alves with that is beyond me.

His ability to never, ever play different or change tactics isn't a surprise considering his player choice is awful on top of it. MSN carried him to his titles. That is all.

He just changed the tactics and it was an improved performance compared to previous games v PSG, Atetico and Leganes.

Co0ter

After 3/4 through the season? And by compared to previous don't you mean the whole season? Because despite our okay record we hAve played very bad all season long.

JamDav1982

After 3/4 through the season? And by compared to previous don't you mean the whole season? Because despite our okay record we hAve played very bad all season long.

Not sure what you mean and I have been as critical of Lucho as anyone but cant say he will 'never, ever change play differently or change tactics' when he just did.

No I dont mean the whole season. Things had dropped to a new low for Lucho the past few weeks even compared to an up and down season previously where there were issues.

serghei

Squad is fine except for 2 positions.

1) Rightback. Essential.

2) Playmaker/DM/CM in midfield, depending on where do we see Messi in the future. If we move him back to the right once (or if) we sign a great RB we need a playmaker in midfield, or an extremely well rounded player who could be very good in several areas of the game, including on the ball and passing qualities. Or, if we see Messi as an attacking midfielder a la Totti from now on, we need a more defensive player imo. A player who could form a partnership with Busquets and could allow Messi a midfield position even with his almost non existend defensive participation. Messi would be the 10, so, the player we should sign needs to be both a 6 and an 8 (but more on the defensive side), allowing us to switch from a 2-1 (Busi + new player - Messi on top) midfield, to a 1-2 midfield when we need to.

So, right back, and a certain type of midfielder depending on Messi's future role.

And a new manager, one who plays more fluid football, and is not as restrictive regarding players' movements in positional play. Basically, when one player has to ball, I want to see his teammates doing something to allow themselves to be in a position to receive a pass. That means moving around and not being confined in a restricted space to operate in. The more restricted the space you're allowed to move in is, the easier it is for the opponent to stop you from receiving the ball in dangerous positions. If you are not allowed to leave your zone and look for the ball, it's hell of a lot easier for opponents to mark you, or close down passing lanes to you. They just have to position themselves cleverly and it becomes increasingly hard for us have a good forward pogression when in possession. All of this because Lucho has a very rigid understanding of positional play.

And it's not that you can't actually play a more rigid system. You can, if you have the right players for it. But we don't. And not only that we don't, but we are even experimenting with solutions like Roberto at RB, while playing a type of rigid football in which one of the inevitable outcomes is the isolation of players in their respective positions both on and off the ball.

Sure, players can play in a system in which they have to cover their zones and do their jobs in a more individual way (due to the incresed spaces between players, everything you do wrong, has the potential to be deadly for your team, simply because there is a constant lack of support for players who activate in more crowded areas), but at least make sure the players and the positions you play them in are a perfect match. Basically, you need to make sure your players have the necessary qualities to perform their designated role without the support of a more fluid system, where covering zones and defending spaces becomes a collective tactic, which hides away some flaws in your players, that otherwise would have been more visible and more exposed. The way we are playing exposes flaws in Busi's game for example that he always had imo, but the system made sure they didn't manifest.

Problem is we need starting material players. That could well mean something close to 100m for only 2 players. If not more. But we could actually play a lot better with the same squad unde a more creative manager.

Last edited:

Guaporta

Squad is fine except for 2 positions.

1) Rightback. Essential.

2) Playmaker/DM/CM in midfield, depending on where do we see Messi in the future. If we move him back to the right once (or if) we sign a great RB we need a playmaker in midfield, or an extremely well rounded player who could be very good in several areas of the game, including on the ball and passing qualities. Or, if we see Messi as an attacking midfielder a la Totti from now on, we need a more defensive player imo. A player who could form a partnership with Busquets and could allow Messi a midfield position even with his almost non existend defensive participation. Messi would be the 10, so, the player we should sign needs to be both a 6 and an 8 (but more on the defensive side), allowing us to switch from a 2-1 (Busi + new player - Messi on top) midfield, to a 1-2 midfield when we need to.

So, right back, and a certain type of midfielder depending on Messi's future role.

And a new manager, one who plays more fluid football, and is not as restrictive regarding players' movements in positional play. Basically, when one player has to ball, I want to see his teammates doing something to allow themselves to be in a position to receive a pass. That means moving around and not being confined in a restricted space to operate in. The more restricted the space you're allowed to move in is, the easier it is for the opponent to stop you from receiving the ball in dangerous positions. If you are not allowed to leave your zone and look for the ball, it's hell of a lot easier for opponents to mark you, or close down passing lanes to you. They just have to position themselves cleverly and it becomes increasingly hard for us have a good forward pogression when in possession. All of this because Lucho has a very rigid understanding of positional play.

And it's not that you can't actually play a more rigid system. You can, if you have the right players for it. But we don't. And not only that we don't, but we are even experimenting with solutions like Roberto at RB, while playing a type of rigid football in which one of the inevitable outcomes is the isolation of players in their respective positions both on and off the ball.

Sure, players can play in a system in which they have to cover their zones and do their jobs in a more individual way (due to the incresed spaces between players, everything you do wrong, has the potential to be deadly for your team, simply because there is a constant lack of support for players who activate in more crowded areas), but at least make sure the players and the positions you play them in are a perfect match. Basically, you need to make sure your players have the necessary qualities to perform their designated role without the support of a more fluid system, where covering zones and defending spaces becomes a collective tactic, which hides away some flaws in your players, that otherwise would have been more visible and more exposed. The way we are playing exposes flaws in Busi's game for example that he always had imo, but the system made sure they didn't manifest.

Problem is we need starting material players. That could well mean something close to 100m for only 2 players. If not more. But we could actually play a lot better with the same squad unde a more creative manager.

Exactly this. It depends on the role of Lionel Messi in the future; if he’s going to play in a playmaking midfield role (kind of similar to Iniesta’s role right now, but with less defensive duties) we need someone that’s a bit more defensive. If he continues to play more and more in the middle of the attack, we need a midfield playmaker. But most of all, we need some that can complement Busquets in midfield (and won’t leave him stranded when we don’t have the ball). Since we have established our needs, now let’s find some names that can fill those gaps.

First of all; the vital one. Hector Bellerín (Arsenal), Djibril Sidibé (AS Monaco), Mario Gaspar (Villarreal), Nélson Semedo (Benfica), Alessandro Florenzi (AS Roma, but he’s struggling with nasty knee injuries) and João Cancelo (Valencia, even though I don’t think he has the defensive qualities to be successful here). I don’t think there are any more young talented rightbacks who could fill the gap this summer. Plenty of talent like Ricardo Pereira (Nice, on loan from Porto), Kenny Tete (Ajax, who would be more of a centre back in our system), Benjamin Henrichs (Bayer Leverkusen) and Pol Lirola (Sassuolo, on loan from Juventus), but they're not ready for this role next season. Besides that, I’d rather have Palencia as our talented right back in the first team than another signing.

Now our midfield. This is a harder one to figure out. Marco Verratti (PSG), Manu Trigueros (Villarreal), Thiago Alcantara (Bayern Munich), Fabinho (AS Monaco), Julian Weigl (Borussia Dortmund), Corentin Tolisso (Olympique Lyonnais)… I don’t get any further that his, which is disappointing. How many young midfield maestros are there right now? I mean, even Fabinho and Tolisso are not really perfect for this role.

Messi983

Interesting that you mentioned Manu Trigueros. I always thought he's one of the most underrated midfielders in La Liga and he'd be a good squad player here but we have enough of that and I just don't think he's good enough to be our starter.

Jombi

Thomas Lemar and Naby Keita should be two of our top priorities for the midfield. Fabinho is a no brainer as well, being able to play 3 positions in our team.

I hate the idea of us chasing Verratti and Thiago all summer and ending up with Santi Cazorla or some other Arsenal player.

serghei

Belgian football has been beaming with talent lately. Why don't we get Tielemans from Anderlecht? Young, already playing at a high level for years, quite possibly the next big thing in midfield. What are we waiting for? Some top team to pick him up and end up chasing him like we are doing with Verratti?

Last edited:

Guaporta

Thomas Lemar and Naby Keita should be two of our top priorities for the midfield. Fabinho is a no brainer as well, being able to play 3 positions in our team.

I hate the idea of us chasing Verratti and Thiago all summer and ending up with Santi Cazorla or some other Arsenal player.

First of all, why would you want to play a winger like Thomas Lemar in midfield? He’s definitely not suited to play as a midfielder in our system. He would play in the left wing position, where we already have Neymar (and maybe Arda Turan if he’s not off to China in the summer). Naby Keita would be a good shout for defensive midfield, but we already have Busquets, Sergi Roberto (if we would sign another right back he’d be suited to be Busquets’ stand-in) and Samper. Not needed in my opinion. Fabinho would be suited for two positions in our system: defensive midfielder and right back. I wouldn’t play him as our right-mid.

Belgian football has been beaming with talent lately. Why don't we get Tielemans from Anderlecht? Young, already playing at a high level for years, quite possibly the next big thing in midfield. What are we waiting for? Some top team to pick him up and end up chasing him like we are doing with Verratti?

Good shout! Youri Tielemans is currently making the next step towards being a Anderlecht star (and is playing way better than last season) and I think he would be suited in our system. Picking him up at this age would be wise, but the question is: can he have minutes right now or should we loan him out for a season to a club like Villarreal, Celta or Málaga (for example)? The second thing is that we need to have patience and not sign a midfielder this summer besides him. We could invest the remaining budget in a fancy winger (and sell Arda Turan) like Ousmane Dembele. Which would be wise in my opinion.

BarçaBarça

Wouldn't Bernardo Silva be better suited for our midfield than Lemar?

Jombi

First of all, why would you want to play a winger like Thomas Lemar in midfield? He’s definitely not suited to play as a midfielder in our system. He would play in the left wing position, where we already have Neymar (and maybe Arda Turan if he’s not off to China in the summer). Naby Keita would be a good shout for defensive midfield, but we already have Busquets, Sergi Roberto (if we would sign another right back he’d be suited to be Busquets’ stand-in) and Samper. Not needed in my opinion. Fabinho would be suited for two positions in our system: defensive midfielder and right back. I wouldn’t play him as our right-mid.

Good shout! Youri Tielemans is currently making the next step towards being a Anderlecht star (and is playing way better than last season) and I think he would be suited in our system. Picking him up at this age would be wise, but the question is: can he have minutes right now or should we loan him out for a season to a club like Villarreal, Celta or Málaga (for example)? The second thing is that we need to have patience and not sign a midfielder this summer besides him. We could invest the remaining budget in a fancy winger (and sell Arda Turan) like Ousmane Dembele. Which would be wise in my opinion.

Lemar isnt a winger. He's an attacking midfielder like Iniesta was at that age (frequently playing on the LW and RW for us). Naby Keita and Fabinho would both be options for central midfield.

Guaporta

Wouldn't Bernardo Silva be better suited for our midfield than Lemar?

He would be. Also a far better player than Lemar in my opinion and more suited to cover Iniesta's role than a controlling midfielder like we need.

Lemar isnt a winger. He's an attacking midfielder like Iniesta was at that age (frequently playing on the LW and RW for us). Naby Keita and Fabinho would both be options for central midfield.

Rick Kasdorp (the Feyenoord right back we were linked to yesterday) was also an attacking midfielder like Iniesta was. The main difference is that both of these (Kasdorp and Lemar) are excelling in different roles and won't be suited for the role as central midfielder in our system. If you're paying millions to get a player, you'd expect him to florish in the role you bought him for.

About Keita and Fabinho, in what role would you consider them? The 'Busquets-role' or the 'Xavi-role'? Because you could call both of these roles central midfield.

Jombi

He would be. Also a far better player than Lemar in my opinion and more suited to cover Iniesta's role than a controlling midfielder like we need.

Rick Kasdorp (the Feyenoord right back we were linked to yesterday) was also an attacking midfielder like Iniesta was. The main difference is that both of these (Kasdorp and Lemar) are excelling in different roles and won't be suited for the role as central midfielder in our system. If you're paying millions to get a player, you'd expect him to florish in the role you bought him for.

About Keita and Fabinho, in what role would you consider them? The 'Busquets-role' or the 'Xavi-role'? Because you could call both of these roles central midfield.

Lemar IS an attacking midfielder. Just like Iniesta did, he frequently plays out wide because Monaco play two in the middle. Whenever Monaco play a three man midfield, Lemar usually plays the attacking midfield role in the middle. Lots of clubs dont play the same way we do. You have to actually watch the players you talk about to judge how they play you know. Just because Deco and Yaya played different roles before they joined us, doesnt mean they were flops.

No, we dont call our defensive midfield "central midfield". Defensive midfield is defensive midfield.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans