Luis Enrique's Legacy

Or it is for me, anyway.

The way he transformed the team, from a group of players obsessed in keeping possession of the ball, to an actual team who's not afraid to play direct football and in doing so, risk losing the ball. Of course the superior technical skill of the players ends up making the difference either way, but it was a very positive transformation, viewed from the outside, making Barcelona's mathes actually watchable for someone who's not a fan, epitomizing in two great games last season, that I remember, the 7-0 against Valencia and the 6-1 against Celta Vigo. Great football.

Serves this thread for discussion of this subject, and where this transformation might lead them in the future.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Obviously when you win a treble and double in 2 years one secures a place in history books.

I would probably use a different term than legacy though as legacy entails something that will be carried to the future after he's gone. Did he "create" players for the future? I don't see it.

the legacy is the transformation (style of play). presumably it will be kept in the future, even when LE leaves. Or someone else comes in eventually and "destroys" his legacy.

khaled_a_d

He will have a legacy here when it is all said and done.
You don't win all this without being considered one of the club greatest coaches.Having some gr8 memories as a player will help too.
But even great legacies depends on longevity & how you end your career here.Rijkaard has transformed the club for example but he lacked both longevity & good ending and you get many who doubt he was even a good coach

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Frank has a legacy though. On top of making Barca play best football in the World his legacy lives on through players he introduced and trusted. Messi and Iniesta are still our cornerstones.
Van Gaal has a legacy too. He got us back to Cruyff's system. Trusted Xavi at 18. Trusted Puyol when everyone denounced him. Valdes..
Frank and Pep continued.

Lucho is different and more pragmatic and doesn't believe in Masia like those mentioned + Cruyff.

My aim was not so much in the usage of the word "legacy" (that's just my interpretation of the word, "something left or handed down by a predecessor."; the same way Pep also left a legacy, even though it's gone now, due to the action of Luis Enrique) or the greatness of it, but more getting members views about the style of play as opposed to what it was, "Pep's legacy".

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
Frank has a legacy though. On top of making Barca play best football in the World his legacy lives on through players he introduced and trusted. Messi and Iniesta are still our cornerstones.
Van Gaal has a legacy too. He got us back to Cruyff's system. Trusted Xavi at 18. Trusted Puyol when everyone denounced him. Valdes..
Frank and Pep continued.

Lucho is different and more pragmatic and doesn't believe in Masia like those mentioned + Cruyff.
Why do you say he don't believe in Cruyff?

Trickykid

Frank and Pep continued.

That's unfair. Most managers would've played youngsters such as Puyi, Xavi, Iniesta and of course Messi. The youth Lucho has had at his disposal is nowhere near at apparently talented as generation defining players such as the aforementioned.

We'll see about Lucho's lagacy later on, as it's far to early to judge it already. If his team ends up imploding like that of Rijkaard, it'll no doubt taint his image - hell, even Pep could easily be questioned way more than he is, seeing how he ended up failing with prime Xavi, Iniesta and Messi.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
Lucho's legacy? He won a treble and a double and on top of that, his legacy would also reflect in the emergence of players like Sergi Roberto and Rafinha.

And hopefully if any of the plethora of 22 year old players that we signed this summer end up being stars here, it would also reflect well on Lucho, I think

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

Frank and Pep continued.

While Frank has his legacy,there is no doubt it has been affected by the end of his tenure.Had he left 1 or 2 year earlier it would have been looked much better.

I disagree that LVG has a legacy here,I am not doubting anything you are mentioning and I am actually one of his biggest fans but I don't think he is really rated as highly as he should be.many remembers his failures more than anything and honestly I don't think people really care that much about whom gave the debate or chance to the young players that much.

Also I think people are unfair to Lucho,he gave Munir & Sandro a chance they didn't even deserve,he believes in Rafinha too much and vetoed Roberto selling in jan 2015 and gave him bigger chance and saw things in him that nobody has seen b4.
Never mind he is the best coach in Barca B history,helped to develop many players too like Pedro,Roberto,Thiago,Tello,Bartra etc.Not his fault that by the time he came back they were never given the chance to develop.

Home of Barca Fans